587,163 active members*
3,957 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Just ordered the last melon (Torus)
Page 7 of 21 5678917

Re: Just ordered the last melon (Torus)

Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    Well, I believe rs274d defines the order in which items are executed, which is entirely different from them all being executed simultaneously as you suggest. And the last bit is FAR more common than you probably realize. For instance, on my Mori's, which have a Fanuc18i, reversing m6 and Tx produce very different results. Place the M6 first and you get a tool change to the previously preloaded tool, followed by preloading of the specified tool. If no tool was previously preloaded, you get an error. Flip them and you get preload of the tool specified, followed by a tool change. The order optimization section of the programming manual is probably 25 pages long, and details most every scenario possible.

Rob

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Rob,

Then, as I indicated, your Mori's are not RS274 compliant. The spec is very clear, and Mach3, and LinuxCNC, DO follow the spec, so order makes no difference in this case.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    There are two switches on the right side of the box. Both of those must be switched on. Then hit the green button.
    Open the door. You should see that all the drives and BOB have led's. The spindle drive also has a DRO and it will let you know the status. When it is ready, I think it has an r. I have had a few different error codes show up on it.
    I knew about the two switches on the right of the control box, but it took a minute or two to remember the green "PC START" button on the left.

Some progress this morning on the spindle, but still having some problems. I opened the enclosure door and saw an "ERR 9" message on the spindle drive. Then I noticed the spindle drive DB connector was disconnected, which I had done earlier (and forgotten) because I was compiling info for Novakon to make the promised extension cables. I powered the computer down, plugged in the connector and repowered back up. The spindle drive now shows "r 0" on the screen.

The Mach 3 spindle box now accepts an RPM input, which it wouldn't do before, but when I press the "SPINDLE CW F5" button it turns flashing yellow and the spindle stays stationary. You can tell the spindle drive is doing something, though, because when you grab the spindle and try to rotate it, the spindle drive is actively keeping the spindle in place.

Titaniumboy

Try typing in on the MDI screen again. I know that I can use the screen button to start the spindle, but I have to put the desired speed in on the bottom line. You may have to enter the speed in the RPM section too.
    Lee

What is the spindle motor/drive? VFD/3-phase AC motor? BLDC? Servo?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Are you still using the Pulsar profile? If so: I think you should get the Torus profile and load it before you do too much troubleshooting.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    What is the spindle motor/drive? VFD/3-phase AC motor? BLDC? Servo?

Regards,
    Ray L.
    AC Servo.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    Are you still using the Pulsar profile? If so: I think you should get the Torus profile and load it before you do too much troubleshooting.
    I'm pretty sure that mine did come with the correct profile for the Torus. I did have to change the steps on the Y axis, but I think that is because a DIP switch on that drive had flipped in shipping. Still works fine though.
    Lee

AC Servo.
    If that's the case, then the Pulsar profile should work. The servo spindle machines have two different spindle operating modes - Linear mode for normal spindle operation, and rotary mode for tapping. When tapping, the spindle uses the A axis, which is mapped to the same pins as the spindle. Both use pins 7 & 8 for their Step/Dir pins. There is a switch on the BOB which must be in the correct "Normal" position for correct spindle operation.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I switched the BOB when I first started tapping. I have not ever switched it back. I know when I am just putting a step on a new set of jaws, that I just type in the desired spindle speed, hit the spindle on button and jog the machine by hand. It should work that way if he has the right config file and the switch is set correctly. I do not know how that actually works. I just know it does on mine.
    Lee

Success !! Thanks to everyone who came up with suggestions and ideas to get my spindle running. :cheers:

I'm not sure what I did any different, but I cycled the computer again, brought up Mach 3, and this time the main screen status bar displayed something like "Driver installed correctly". Couldn't get the main screen spindle speed stuff to work, but I went to the MDI screen and entered "S100 M3" and the spindle started running.

I eventually got the main screen spindle speed to work, but I had missed the fact that after the number is entered you have to press the ENTER key for the number to "stick". I haven't had to press the ENTER key like this for a long time in other programs. Of course pressing TAB to enter the number only brings up the JOG screen. The Mach 3 interface seems somewhat clunky after spending time with the Haas controls.

Now that I've got the spindle up and running, is there any sort of spindle break-in required? I remember that my G0602 10x22 lathe and G0704 bench mill both had a detailed spindle break-in schedule.

Novakon only provided a demo copy of Mach 3, which is only good for 500 lines of code. I've been holding off on buying a real copy of Mach hoping that Mach 4 would be released soon - maybe even at Cabin Fever in a couple of weeks.

Novakon had mailed me the oiler warranty parts 2 or 3 weeks ago, and I need to get these parts installed before I run the table or head much more.

Titaniumboy

I did break in the spindle. Don't recall precisely how I did it, but I think I ran it for about 30 minutes at 500 RPM and then another 30 at about 1500 RPM. A final 30 at full speed would not hurt and I am pretty sure I did that too. I kept check the temperature of the head and it didn't change much. It did warm up some, but that is expected.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    The Pulsar profile will not work right on a Torus, especially w.r.t. the spindle interface. You need to get a Torus profile.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin

When I start Mach 3, the SESSION PROFILE screen is the first to pop up. The four choices listed are 1) Mach3Mill, 2) Mach3Turn, 3) Plasma, and 4) Pulsar - Stepper Axis - PBOB. I've been using the number 4 choice all along and now have successfully run all three axis and the spindle.

A quick-start guide would have been nice. Kind of strange how much operator information I received with my manual lathe and mill as compared to this CNC mill. Thank goodness you guys have been here to help out.

Titaniumboy

I did break in the spindle. Don't recall precisely how I did it, but I think I ran it for about 30 minutes at 500 RPM and then another 30 at about 1500 RPM. A final 30 at full speed would not hurt and I am pretty sure I did that too. I kept check the temperature of the head and it didn't change much. It did warm up some, but that is expected.
    That sounds like a reasonable spindle break-in. Going out to the garage right now to start the break-in process...

surely if you spent all that money they would provide a full version of mach 3, no?

Walt,

One would think. But I knew going in that I was only going to get a Mach 3 demo installation.

Quote Originally Posted by hjl4 View Post
    Ha Ha Ha, that's funny. Next time try M3 S100, first telling it to rotate clockwise then at what speed. A little bit of G-Code learning would be better then watching a bunch of videos. Baby steps first before you can run. Glad you got it alive though. It's definitely a great feeling when you see the machine boot up for the first time.
    hjl4,

Seeing the machine come alive after nearly six weeks has been very gratifying. It has been a long wait after ordering it way back in December.

While I'll never claim to be a G-Code expert, I do know G-Code. I have taken three separate community college classes on CNC programming. These CNC classes were surprisingly rigorous, and were every bit as much work as my engineering classes way back when. The instructor set up all three CNC classes such that all the G-Code was hand programmed and all the part geometries were hand-calculated; no cheating with any CAM programs or Solidworks!

The community college had a FADAL, Hurco, and Haas vertical machining centers. The Haas had a trunnion table with a rotary table. They also had a Haas and Kia CNC lathe, along with a wire EDM and a commercial 3D printer.

The one thing I learned after being exposed to all the different CNC controls is that every one of the controls has its own quirks and idiosyncrasies with respect to how they handle G-Code. So I'll be taking really really small baby steps until I fully understand how Mach 3 handles my G-Code.

Titaniumboy

I'm following LeeWay's suggestion for the spindle break-in. The 500 rpm stint is done and the 1500 rpm 30 minute was just started.

Noticing a couple of things during this spindle run.

1. The spindle VFD is reading is 342 rpm at the 500 rpm level, and 1025 rpm at the 1500 rpm level. Normal due to different size pulleys in the gearbox?

2. I'm hearing a rattle in the spindle that goes for 1-3 seconds and then goes away for 2-5 seconds and then returns again. Normal? Or should I be looking at something in the gearbox?

3. In the Spindle Speed box on the main screen, there are RPM, S-ov, and Spindle Speed entry boxes. I enter the desired speed in the Spindle Speed box, press ENTER and the spindle starts up. The RPM entry box always shows 0 rpm, though.

Titaniumboy

I never hear any rattle at all. Just smooth running at all speeds. You might check to see if John has an idea about what that might be. I think my RPM always reads zero as well. I'm not sure if that is a function of it being in tapping mode or just isn't hooked into Mach. It never really concerned me much. I don't think I have ever read the spindle driver while running. Don't even think I checked the spindle with a tach. I'll check on that soon and let you know something.
    Lee

The spec is very clear, and Mach3, and LinuxCNC, DO follow the spec, so order makes no difference in this case.

Thats right in this case. My apologies, but I made the comment as to be funny. Seriously, fanuc 18i, 20i M, prefers the order in code and is also my preference when programming. I much rather read code that tells the controller what to do and then where to go and how fast. Instead of how fast I'm going, where I want to go and in which direction.. I think most have thought I was being critical, but such is not the case.

I'm happy he got it going, and I promise from now on, I won't try to make jokes. Seems everybody took it the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by keithmcelhinney View Post
    Titaniumboy set up the soft limits in mach. I just did this so if you have any questions, email me at [email protected]. Just search on setting soft limits in mach in google and it is pretty straight forward.

Keith, sounds like a good idea. Did you set up your Mach soft limits so that you had further travel than home switches? It looks like my Torus has at least 1/2" of travel beyond the home switches.

Titaniumboy

Page 7 of 21 5678917