587,828 active members*
2,819 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

keeping cuts the right size

Hello, This is my first post on this forum. I have been reading it for about a month and have finally got my CNC set up. I am using Mach3 with a Chinese control box. I have been using NCPlot to generate my gcode files from DXF files which has been working pretty well.

I am now stuck on an issue that I cannot seem to figure out so I have decided to post on the forum so a kind sole can help me move forward. I have a laser cutter at work and use it all the time. I generate a PDF file with a red line where I want the laser to cut. When I moved into CNC I could not/can not wrap my head around how you would design files and keep the right dimensions.

My issue is I want to create complex shape that is about 1 inch by 2 inches. I create a DXF file for it and then import it into NCPlot and make gcode. Whenever I print this file with MACH3 the drill goes along the centre of the line and does not take into consideration the size of the drill so if I had a 10cmx2cm square it is actually a 1.5 mm off because the drill is 3mm in diameter. Where can I set the size of the drill and then specify if I want the drill to move alone the outside or inside of the line?

Another issue I am facing is that if I want to cut a shape with something inside of it, gcode always goes around the outside of the shape first, then tries to do the inside which never works because the piece of wood is free to spin.

I probably sound like a huge noob. I thought I would figure it out since I already use a laser cutter but boy CNC is a whole new ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by vcazan View Post
    Another issue I am facing is that if I want to cut a shape with something inside of it, gcode always goes around the outside of the shape first, then tries to do the inside which never works because the piece of wood is free to spin.
    If your CAM program can't allow you to select the order of operations, at least for posting, then stick the G-code in Notepad and edit it there.
    Simply cut & paste sections to suit your pleasure. (Notepad doesn't insert hidden or surprise characters that the control either doesn't like or will choke on)

Drill??????????????? If you're contouring, you need a milling cutter. And you need to go learn up on G41 and G42.

I thought I would figure it out since I already use a laser cutter but boy CNC is a whole new ball game.
    BTDT.

The hardest thing to get my head wrapped around was that, even though CNC machines have been around longer than lasers, the software for CNC at the DIY level is much less user-friendly and (for lack of a better term) mature than the software/firmware used in consumer-grade lasers. And unfortunately, that has its worst side-effects in the CAM portion of the workflow, where things that are more-or-less built into the laser's control firmware have to be dealt with (or at least specified) by the user. (In all fairness, the laser has a couple of huge advantages: its "tool width" is effectively zero, and it's effectively a 2D process rather than the 2.5D/3D that CNC has to deal with. And yes, I'm simplifying somewhat.)

I'm finding that it works a lot better if I treat laser and CNC as if they were completely different animals, despite their similarities. It's a bit like switching back and forth between CorelDraw and Autocad: you can do most things with either, but you need to approach the problem from different angles.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I just gotta find the right software and learn how to use it.

I was under the impression that mach3 could do this with the tools setting.

As for drill i have a proper spindle just used to calling it a drill lol sorry

Does anyone have suggestions on the best cam software for a beginner like me that still has all the features I mentioned?

I was under the impression that mach3 could do this with the tools setting.
    Yes and no. As was mentioned above, you can use G41/G42 radius compensation in Mach3 to account for tool size. However, it's not as simple as turning it on/off. You're g-code need to contain proper lead-in and lead-out moves for it to work properly.

Most CAM software will automatically calculate the offsets for you.
    You might want to try the demo of Cut2D.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Cut 2d is pretty easy but I only use it if I need tabs to hold the parts during a cycle, deskcnc gets used for everything else.

I have been using Pycam which works quite effectively, it has tool diameter compensation

+1 for Cut2D: it handles most of the "laser-friendly" formats (e.g. AI/EPS/PDF; not CorelDraw, unfortinately) and has a relatively intuitive workflow.

WOW, just WOW

I downloaded cut2d and everything just makes sense. Its all about inside cuts, outside cuts and drilling. I finally designed my file and it took only 5-10 minutes. The preview is amazing. I think once my credit card is paid off from this CNC machine I will be purchasing this software. I am still amazing now much visualizing the cut made it so much easier to understand.

Thanks to all of you for helping me so fast. This forum is absolutely great.

I downloaded cut2d and everything just makes sense. Its all about inside cuts, outside cuts and drilling. I finally designed my file and it took only 5-10 minutes. The preview is amazing. I think once my credit card is paid off from this CNC machine I will be purchasing this software. I am still amazing now much visualizing the cut made it so much easier to understand.
    If you think you'll want to do 3D stuff in the future, they have a Cut2D/Cut3D bundle that knocks some money ($100?) off the total. Same general user-interface model.

I use CorelDraw to make my drawings. I then export to Cut2D. IMO its the only way to go.

Lets look at the three pieces of softwate involved.

CorelDraw ($100 on Ebay)
    Cut2d $150
    Mach3 $175

Thats $425. Its the best bang for the buck when it comes to CAD/CAM/Control. I have done the freeware rout and let me tell you its not worth the headaches.

Here is a link to the process I use with these three pieces of software.
    KRMx01 EStop Upgrade

Also note that V-Carve Pro is much better than Cut2D but costs more. You can upgrade from Cut2D to Vcarve though so Cut2d is a good starting point.
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Hello, This is my first post on this forum. I have been reading it for about a month and have finally got my CNC set up. I am using Mach3 with a Chinese control box. I have been using NCPlot to generate my gcode files from DXF files which has been working pretty well.

I am now stuck on an issue that I cannot seem to figure out so I have decided to post on the forum so a kind sole can help me move forward. I have a laser cutter at work and use it all the time. I generate a PDF file with a red line where I want the laser to cut. When I moved into CNC I could not/can not wrap my head around how you would design files and keep the right dimensions.

My issue is I want to create complex shape that is about 1 inch by 2 inches. I create a DXF file for it and then import it into NCPlot and make gcode. Whenever I print this file with MACH3 the drill goes along the centre of the line and does not take into consideration the size of the drill so if I had a 10cmx2cm square it is actually a 1.5 mm off because the drill is 3mm in diameter. Where can I set the size of the drill and then specify if I want the drill to move alone the outside or inside of the line?

I probably sound like a huge noob. I thought I would figure it out since I already use a laser cutter but boy CNC is a whole new ball game.
    If you are using the (Registered) version of Mach3, you should also have the opportunity to purchase LazyCAM Pro (which is a CAM program in permanent Beta state). LazyCAM is somewhat limited in what it can do, but it will allow you to learn some of the basics involved regarding things like cut order, tool offsets, pockets, etc. It sounds as though you already have a CAD program, since you are able to generate DXF files. This will speed things up, as far as the learning process. Since all you will have to do, is simply draw the desired tool paths in CAD, save the file in DXF format, and then open it into LazyCAM to edit the cut order, tool offsets, etc. Just visit the Machsupport Forum to learn more.