586,781 active members*
3,062 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Mach3 (3.043.066) licensed version - Motor Tuning decimal resolution

Mach3 (3.043.066) licensed version - Motor Tuning decimal resolution

I've had and used a licensed copy successfully for 5 years but a few years ago had to move Mach3 to another PC with XP so I could upgrade my x86 quad PC to Win7. It's worked fine on which ever platform I installed it and only had it active on one PC (although I must admit I haven't done much CNC'ing in the past two years I have done a few projects).

Recently I saw a YouTube of a fella showing how to use the Settings tab to perform Axis Calibration to fine-tune the steps-per for an axis. HIS Mach3's Steps-per values accepted and retained values out to 5 decimal places.

My Mach3 has ALWAYS allowed me to enter 5 decimal places for Steps-per in Motor Tuning but always rounds down to two decimal places. e.g. 1142.86 instead of 1142.85764. I know this is a small error for steps-per-inch but why the rounding to 2 places? I've always assumed Mach3 did so a standard practice but now I see exceptions in other users values. And I understand how Mach3 rounds up or down 1 step (or microstep) to a whole number.

So why does this guy's Step-per show 1545.83459 or 5 decimal places on his motor tuning values? I posted this on the CamBam Forum and a responder confirmed he also had the same version as me and got 5 decimal places in his Motor Tuning. Another suggests that maybe its a screen display issue that is rounding down the decimal places, but if that were so, then one would think that the XML profile would still reflect 5 decimal places. My XML profile for XYZ Motor Tuning steps-per only shows 2 decimal places, the same as the display screen shows.

My former and current Mach3 PC are Core2 Dual or Quad 2+Ghz, 3GB RAM machines running a Mach3 Kernel speed of 25000 Hz.

Any ideas?
    airnocker
    Everything depends on everything else

Re: Mach3 (3.043.066) licensed version - Motor Tuning decimal resolution

No-one said Mach3 was perfect

Cheers
    Roger

Re: Mach3 (3.043.066) licensed version - Motor Tuning decimal resolution

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    No-one said Mach3 was perfect

Cheers
    Roger