588,191 active members*
7,316 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > Model V8 engine plans required
Page 16 of 27 6141516171826
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rnieball View Post
    People may have modelled the entire engine and reported a missing dimension, but they havent noticed the small discrepancy in thickness between the main bearing bore on the block, and that on the oil pan. Speed isnt everything. Fantastic work Steve!

Update:

After looking at it very carefully, i believe that it doesn't actually matter. Sorry Guys.

Send me an email anyway with what you found. I would like to take a look at it.

The tank is mounted. I made the mount posts using the same process as the motor mounts. I am happy with the mount. The tank is rock solid.

Steve I checked it and 3rnieball is correct. there is a discrepancy doubtful it will make any difference but it is there. I have corrected it in my drawings. good catch 3rnieball.

Again, what did you find? I would like to correct every problem no matter how small.

the inside ends of the oil pan do not line up with the inside of the block. and the bolt pattern on the pan is off by .082

Quote Originally Posted by cforcht View Post
    the inside ends of the oil pan do not line up with the inside of the block. and the bolt pattern on the pan is off by .082

You scared the crap out of me! I have the oilpan .003 in the front and .001 in the rear larger than the block.

Where do you have a .082 difference?

Your killing me here. I can't find anything wrong with the oil pan pocket, crank pockets or the bolt hole pattern in both the block and oil pan. What's up with the .082"?

I found a similar problem with the intake. It would not affect anything but I changed it anyway.

just a public acknowledgment that the bolt holes were my error not steve's

The plans are amazing and I love them. The only thing I dont like is the dimensioning is pretty confusing. Maybe its because my profession is engineering and I see it a lot more orgainzed. But like I said amazing job on developing this idea and putting it to paper steve

Quote Originally Posted by Engineeringcrew View Post
    The plans are amazing and I love them. The only thing I dont like is the dimensioning is pretty confusing. Maybe its because my profession is engineering and I see it a lot more orgainzed. But like I said amazing job on developing this idea and putting it to paper steve

Thanks, I think Haahahah!!!

Keep in mind that this is my first attempt at making dimensioned drawings. I have no background in the field. I had no intension of doing it but I had so many requests that I said I would try.

Quote Originally Posted by stevehuckss396 View Post
    Thanks, I think Haahahah!!!

Keep in mind that this is my first attempt at making dimensioned drawings. I have no background in the field. I had no intension of doing it but I had so many requests that I said I would try.
    You did an awesome job. In reality there isnt much of a better way to dimension the drawing. A few hidden lines on some of them would have helped, but congrats on this achievement

I have completed the fixtures for the radiator. I have to believe there will be a high speed run to the hobby shop for some tubing and 1/2 inch wide fin stock.

Hi People..

I think i have found another slight discrepancy. this time it is in the PCD for the screw holes between the bell housing, and bell housing adapter. Let me know if im wrong. also an idea for the spark plug to lead connection.. How about good old female bullet terminals? ones with a rubber insulator... Im sure they could be tweaked.

Toolstation > Electrical > Crimp Terminals > Bullet Connector Female

Quote Originally Posted by 3rnieball View Post
    I think i have found another slight discrepancy. this time it is in the PCD for the screw holes between the bell housing, and bell housing adapter. Let me know if im wrong. also an idea for the spark plug to lead connection.. How about good old female bullet terminals? ones with a rubber insulator... Im sure they could be tweaked.

Toolstation > Electrical > Crimp Terminals > Bullet Connector Female

The parts mate perfectly in cad. It has to do with the way the holes are dimensioned and the fact that I only went out 3 decimal places. If there is an error it will be less than a half thou. I made 3 of them and they all mated perfectly to the block and adapter plate. Im positive that if you get those holes anywhere near where the print shows, the piece will bolt on with no trouble.

I made the trip to the hobby store and bought the balance of the needed brass. I cut all my pieces up and prepped the end plates.

I loaded the end plates into the recess in the fixture.

Then all the fins are loaded up. I cut the fins about .100 longer than is needed. After assembly the plan is to mill the fins to size.

Then the fixture is pinched in the vise to align the fins in the fixture and tightened up.

Next the holes are drilled thru. The tubing I bought was running a bit large so I bumped up my drill size to .003 larger than the tubing. Then the step in the side is milled on both sides

Now the pieces get loaded into the other fixture. When they come out of the drilling fixture make sure they stay in a stack and do not flip them end for end. If you keep them straight the tubes will slide right thru the stack and into place. I made the tubes extra long also so I will need to mill them to size later. I placed all the fins into the slots and slid the first tube thru the stack. Then I placed the top piece of the fixture on the stack.

Then the remaining tubes are slid into the stack. I managed to soft solder the fins to the outside tubes but I cant get enough heat to finish the end plates. Seems I'll be looking for a new torch.

Steve, you are a practical genius!

Made the tanks for the radiator today. Started out by milling the pockets out in some 1/2 X 1/2 inch brass.

Then manually I milled the piece to length.

Then I milled the angles in the ends of the tanks.

Then I proceeded to drill the wrong size holes in the tank for the fittings!!! AAARRRRGGGG!!!

I think im just going to make fittings that fit the holes rather than make new tanks. Not happy!!

That must have been VERY annoying, bound to happen but never goes down easy.

That radiator will be looking very sharp.

Yesterday = bad!!

I came home from work today ready to start on the fittings for the radiator. Chucked up a piece of round, looked over at the tanks, unchucked the round, walked over and tossed the tanks in the trash. I couldn't stand the sight of those giant holes in the side.

Spent the day making 4 new tanks.

I'll do fittings maybe thursday

Page 16 of 27 6141516171826