587,149 active members*
5,507 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Multicam Machines > Multicam Router/Doesn't follow mastercam Z depths

Multicam Router/Doesn't follow mastercam Z depths

Our shop bought a Multicam router 3000 series which doesn't read G code the same way are HAAS mills do.
    At the Routers little hand held remote the operator needs to set the max depth and adjust it. This fly’s in the face of what I program the router to do with Mastercam.
    If I program the parts with the fixture surface (wood) Z0 the router will not cut through the Material. Instead the operator needs to lower the max depth setting (material thickness) to cut thought the material.
    I believe that the router over rides the Z addresses posted by the Post sent to me from Mastercam. Is this right? Does the operator need to set the depth of cut at the machine? Not the programmer?
    Also, the router reads Z negative addresses as positive and Positive as negative. Is that right?

Where in the hell is Z zreo at? Anyone know?

Z 0 is where you program it at, you can set it to the top of the material or at the bottom of the material, max depth is a safety thing, you set it to the top of your spoil board. It's so that if you messed up your program you don't run your cutter right trough your phenolic top.

further reading trough your post, no the router should read negative as negative and vice versa, do you have the correct post for mastercam?

I have never operated a Multicam router. I have only seen 2 of them. I think I read on the Multicam web site that they actually reverse the Z. Z-X.X is up, away from the table. Z(+)X.X is down, toward the table. Z-0.25 would be 0.25 above your material. If you were routing 3/4" plywood, Z0.75 would be cutting through your material.

MultiCam - Support - M & G Codes

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    I have never operated a Multicam router. I have only seen 2 of them. I think I read on the Multicam web site that they actually reverse the Z. Z-X.X is up, away from the table. Z(+)X.X is down, toward the table. Z-0.25 would be 0.25 above your material. If you were routing 3/4" plywood, Z0.75 would be cutting through your material.

MultiCam - Support - M & G Codes
    yep, you're right. Im a multicam guy and to me positive means going down into the material. Do you have a user manual for the machine?

xjdubber yes we do have the manual for it and I will be reading it tomorrow. But during the day today I reposted using varying z positions and the machine everytime need the max depth adjusted just to cut thought a sheet of .05 7050-0 alu.

I discovered how she works.

Z Zero is the surface of the material and the max depth needs to be set to the deepest Z the program will be going too minus the material thickness.

So if I’m going too Z-.12 to clear a drill tip angle and the material is .05 thick. The max depth needs to be adjusted to -.07 from the fixture surface.

Instruction manuals are wonderful tools. Too bad so many do not use them.