587,999 active members*
5,228 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 10 of 13 89101112
    So Igus rails for both x and y? Is it fairly inexensive compared to say, THK rails? Is there a special source for it?

Thanks for the heads up on the 80 pitch...I will check that out.

Oh by the way, what changed your mind about the IGUS bearings?

From another thread, you wrote:

"I decided also not to use them, their is no way to eliminate free play and the cost was no cheaper then going the linear bearing route."

I have found other ways to eliminate the free play, and improve the accuracy, in the slides, and after using my laser and see now what is important to maintain the high level of accuracy, the first laser was a big learning exsperance and has worked out very well. The new laser I'm building is designed for much higher speeds and is twice the size of the current one. So the igus fit the bill.

Hmmm, and they are not *too* expensive...

1000mm rail and 1 carriage for around $100.

I assume you are talking about the W rails?

Absolutely fantastic. 1) When is it going up on e-bay? Be sure to give us notice here on the zone. thanks.

....maybe a 25% discount for cnczone bidders!

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin
    I also found after much searching the right mirror that I need to combine the IR and the red beam together, that being a beam combiner. I found this over seas and more than 1/2 what I could have gotten it for in the states. I have gone through weeks of fighting with alignment and that was all made simple once I got this mirror. It's far to much for me explain.
    2) Where did you get this mirror please?

Also, after reading this thread from start to finish now and examining your pics Im still confused about the alignment of the beam using the gold mirrors. 3) When your gantry moves how do the mirrors adjust to keep the beam aligned, do you rotate the mirrors using some sort of rod mechanism?

Picture a string on a spring (say that five times fast) when you move any part of the gantry everything is either parallel or at exactly 90 degrees. At every 90degree bend there is a mirror changing the lasers direction. as long as everthing remains in alignment the beam just gets longer or short depending on gantry distance. Like the string on a spring! No motors needed (except of course you normal gantry ones!)

:cheers:
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Just got some of these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180004613384

I am thinking of using them rather than ordering the igus...will be a bit cheaper actually.

Paul, where are you getting the 80 pitch belt and pulleys? Mcmaster-carr or something?

I am going to make my frame ~4 feet x 2 feet...or possibly 4 feet x 4 feet, using 8020 garagesale 1515 extrusion for practically everything (machine frame, legs, cover, etc.) Brushless AC servo motors for x and y...haven't decided if I am going to have a powered z...probably not since the idea is to keep mass low for rapid movements (and if using belt drive).

15mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S5000624.JPG  

Any insight into examples of mirror's that you bought on ebay? Are they simply polished gold plates, or are they specific to bouncing laser light around? Also, are the ZnSe lens the best for C02 lasers? What does the focal lenght have to do with the lens. For example, I found one that was 1.5" in diameter with a FL of 5". Does that mean the smallest point of the beam is at 5"? Just trying to gather as much info as possible before I start my build. Thanks!

most sealed beam lasers do not require a 1.5" lens. It depends on how far the laser is from the lens, but in most cases if the laser is less than 6 feet from the focal lens you should be able to use a .75"D or 1"D lens. A 5" focal length is considered a long FL, but is better when cutting thick items. Most cutting lasers can use a 2 to 3 in lens, but it depends on the thickness of the material being cut

Hey we still don't have a new thread or pictures on this "supposed" "NEW" machine you were building paul!!!!

Whats up with that????
    thanks
    Michael T.

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor View Post
    Hey we still don't have a new thread or pictures on this "supposed" "NEW" machine you were building paul!!!!

Whats up with that????
    And Im still wondering where the gold mirrors came from? Anyone know?

I believe he got them off ebay. That's where I got mine also. Not very expensive either.

deep ground gnomes make them and they are very rare!

You have to wait for the first rain and fallow the rainbow till its end and then ask the leper to show you the way to the cave of the gnomes. But be aware the lepers can sometimes pull a fast one, and there is nothing worse than a lepercon!

Although I here the ebay link is a bit faster!

thanks
    Michael T.

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor View Post
    deep ground gnomes make them and they are very rare!
    You have to wait for the first rain and fallow the rainbow till its end and then ask the leper to show you the way to the cave of the gnomes. But be aware the lepers can sometimes pull a fast one, and there is nothing worse than a lepercon!
    Although I here the ebay link is a bit faster!
    lol! Thanks for that little ditty miljnor!

no problem!

Now if we could get paul to reaply that would be sweet!
    thanks
    Michael T.

I've been busy, the one new machine has been up and running, no pics as of yet, but the second machine will be getting assemblled in a few week and I will take pics of that one.

I bought the mirros new over seas, nothing on ebay is worth buy for a production machine like what I use them for.

I am currently in process with a production machine for marking although I will be using it for cutting my hobby stuff as well.

what are your sources for the laser tubes and mirrors???

I am in the market so to speak!
    thanks
    Michael T.

paul?

anyone?

beuller? beuller?
    thanks
    Michael T.

Page 10 of 13 89101112