588,201 active members*
4,820 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: New machine day

You might consider dumping those adjustable feet and replacing them with leveling casters like these:

FOOTMASTER GD-80S-1/2 Nylon Wheel and NBR Pad Leveling Caster, 1100 lbs, Stem Mounted with 0.5" Mounting Hole Diameter, Ivory Finish: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

If you mill is in tight quarters, they make it a lot easier to gain access to the back for maintenance and the casters can be retracted so that the mill is completely stable. The casters also make it easy to level the mill if that is needed.

Michael Henry,
    Those casters look like very nice.
    $220, is cheap when compared to going to the DR. with back problems.

cmparts Michael,
    Fusion 360 and HSMexpress is very appealing, If I knew for sure that I was a hobbyist, I would be using them. It's still not clear where I'm going with this machining.
    I could almost retire, but a lifetime of ideas of better tools and devices. In the past never had the means to make precision parts. Some more time invested here with Sprut and I believe that tool paths will come out.

I don't think that you will be disappointed by your Tormach mill. I loved my 1100 so much that I picked up a 770 to compliment it a few years later. They really are the best bang for the buck for prototyping, scale-up and short run production. The beautiful thing is that you can completely CRASH them and they take the beating very well. If I were to have crashed a higher level machine as often as I have crashed my Tormach I would have easily had to invest 2x the cost of the Tormach mills just to get the other machines put back together in their base mechanical condition LOL!

Also Sprut will serve you well. The newest versions are pretty darn nice and more user friendly than the older versions. There are a growing amount of YouTube and forum examples out there to get you started. Initially focus on importing IGES files and setting up the part and stock to your liking. Defining fixtures is a big plus so I advise that you draw them with your part models in CAD. As I am drawing my parts in CAD I like to put features in unique layers (fixtures, stock, holes that are of common diameter etc.) by common traits that I know will be machined in similar operations. IMHO working wit the 2D contouring feature of Sprut will help you learn how the program thinks with the quickest "cause and effect" payback...focus on learning 2D contouring then planes and waterlines will make more sense. I am looking forward to collecting on some purchase orders that are overdue so I can buy Sprut 10 ASAP! You have taken the first steps of a long and fun journey! Please keep posting and let us see your accomplishments and/or help with challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by oneineight View Post
    but a lifetime of ideas of better tools and devices. In the past never had the means to make precision parts. Some more time invested here with Sprut and I believe that tool paths will come out.
    Sounds like your on the right track
    Nothing easy about using these programs. If you put in time and learn how to navigate menus and what settings are most important you start getting great results. I rarely damage or break tools because of the ability to simulate everything and with careful review many problems can be spotted. Imho this alone has paid for the software cost and of course I think the machine is a paper weight without it anyway. Now with couple years of use and experience it is routine to take just about any igs model and have it ready to machine all features on all sides in a few hours complete with fixtures and a couple dozen tool changes. With the final note / operation being my favorite "remove finished part"

The "remove finished part" command is awesome.
    But use finished part would have me going ooo ooo ooo and doing back flips like cheeta in the old Tarzan movies!

I just want to reiterate some of the great advice in this thread - ALWAYS model all of your tools, holders and fixtures in Sprutcam. The simulator is awesome and your tools will last longer and if you spend the time to properly model everything in Sprutcam, it will almost always prevent you from crashing... period.

Have fun with your new machine, and like everyone else, you are going to love it!

As long as you brought it up, I have a file for my vice but am still looking for the right place to put it.
    Is there a place in sprut where you can store fixtures and bring them up as needed?

As long as you brought it up, I have a file for my vice but am still looking for the right place to put it.
    Is there a place in sprut where you can store fixtures and bring them up as needed?
    I don't think you can "store" anything in Sprutcam (someone correct me if I am wrong). I store them on a regular file system with my other drawing files and import them as you would a part, just into the top-level fixtures hierarchy in Sprutcam, rather than parts. This will trigger the collision detection / avoidance logic in Sprutcam. You will need to make sure the fixtures are defined for your operations or inherited (by default I believe from the fixtures hierarchy).

Hope I am answering the right question.

Import your fixtures into the following location, you must do this for each project:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sprutcam_Fixtures.PNG 
Views:	0 
Size:	2.8 KB 
ID:	301512

Like I stated before, I have my fixtures in the CAD model with the part. I just put them in their own sublayer within a "Fixtures layer" that I created. When I export the model as an IGES file from Rhino all the layer information readily transfers over and then I just drag and drop each layer into the appropriate folder for the Sprut model. I know that it sounds complicated, but it is pretty simple to do and the whole process is done in less than 2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Like I stated before, I have my fixtures in the CAD model with the part. I just put them in their own sublayer within a "Fixtures layer" that I created. When I export the model as an IGES file from Rhino all the layer information readily transfers over and then I just drag and drop each layer into the appropriate folder for the Sprut model. I know that it sounds complicated, but it is pretty simple to do and the whole process is done in less than 2 minutes.
    If you need precise location of material to fixture then pickleds method is really one of the only ways to do it easly . Use the cad system to locate / snap all the fixtures and parts at specific points. then import that In sprut and it is exactly as drawn then split into folders for fixtures / parts and your set for collision avoidance. I use this method for example with 5c collet fixture and or fixtures because material can be placed very precisely and you can use the fixture for datum touch off points if required.
    In my opinion that's what makes sprut so powerful there are many ways to do things.

I had to import PCNC1100 machine definitions to a sprut library, and thought there would be a similar library for fixtures.

wtopace did answer my problem, I have spent quite a bit of time trying to find a place in sprut to store my vice file.
    It really does make sense that you import the fixture with the part because it places the work piece and part in the right part of the fixture.

pickled' comments added some clarity to the process, thanks for restating your method. first time I did not really understand what you did, or why it was important, now it makes more sense.

mountiandew, your comments also helped clear up my view.

Thanks to all of you.

cmparts did you get your new machine up on the stand yet?
    Or is the process waiting for you to get some help/tools/ free time?

I had to import PCNC1100 machine definitions to a sprut library, and thought there would be a similar library for fixtures.

wtopace did answer my problem, I have spent quite a bit of time trying to find a place in sprut to store my vice file.
    It really does make sense that you import the fixture with the part because it places the work piece and part in the right part of the fixture.

pickled' comments added some clarity to the process, thanks for restating your method. first time I did not really understand what you did, or why it was important, now it makes more sense.

mountiandew, your comments also helped clear up my view.

Thanks to all of you.

cmparts did you get your new machine up on the stand yet?
    Or is the process waiting for you to get some help/tools/ free time?
    Truck will be here today, accessories (lift kit)and enclosure. I did not want to try and rig it. Damn rain will slow things.
    Cheers
    Michael

To everyone who has replied, Thanks. I will continue to find the time to reply to each and everyone but it is hard on the damn phone.
    I have not bought a new CAD/CAM system yet, I still don't have a vice or any tooling, taking things slow.

Anyone in the Charlotte, NC area?

Cheers
    Michael

New CAD/CAM will have to wait unless my work sends me to Inventor training. I am not a Autodesk fan, never have been.
    Cheers
    Michael

Thank You.
    Damn fine looking feet. spending money like a drunk sailor right now.

I may wait to put the machine on the stand today as these looks very appealing.
    Cheers
    Michael

Well Grainger is out, can't afford that. Strange - same code UNSPSC # 31162701 but M12 threads.

http://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Leveling-Caster-24WK17?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/24WK17_AS01?$smthumb$
    Cheers
    Michael

I was in the same boat, with the lift kit arriving days after the stand and machine. Might as well use the tool you bought. a dropped mill would be tragic for whoever it fell on and the guy who paid for it.

Did you get path pilot? The conversational portion can do quite a bit. Having a cad cam program to learn I did not spend a lot of time in conversational machining

When choosing my cad-cam I Wanted to own it, vs. borrowing or leasing.
    Gibbs cam we used in school, was way out of my league. Costing many thousands per year.

I'm in Montana. No rain lately, just snow.

I did get the path pilot controller, I have an old cad/cam system to use and do not worry about getting code for anything I want to make. Only worry machine may not meet my expectations.
    Montana is one beautiful state, hope to visit it again someday. Please don't tell my wife it's snowing.
    Truck is late again this week, Estes express sucks.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by cmparts View Post
    I did get the path pilot controller, I have an old cad/cam system to use and do not worry about getting code for anything I want to make. Only worry machine may not meet my expectations.
    Montana is one beautiful state, hope to visit it again someday. Please don't tell my wife it's snowing.
    Truck is late again this week, Estes express sucks.
    Cheers
    Now it's a party truck got here, time to get busy.
    Cheers

New machine day

Same here. Lot of work to do.

Page 2 of 3 123