588,130 active members*
5,451 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDenisNayland View Post
    I just thought id throw it out there for anyone who hasn't used or thought of it before. Like I said if you're constrained to a specific set of conditions you can't change, it may just be a life saver.

I've used it tapping a rather deep 5/16-18 thread in the sub on an L20 where it kept stalling, tap was fine, chips were evacuating but the machine was at its limits for sure. It was 304 iirc, and an id single point would not have lasted at all. That small a bar as deep as it had to go would have taken a retarded amount of passes, not to mention 304 work hardens if you don't take a deep enough cut. Peck tapping was definitely the best option for me at the time :bigthumb:
    I completely agree! :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by SwissType1 View Post
    A full profile true Swiss-style threading insert might do the trick here and certainly is a lot less expensive than a dedicated head or special attachment. Full profile inserts should generate extremely clean threads in that material.

UTILIS makes a 1/2-13 full profile threader in their 3000 series product line.

-Scott@Genswiss
    Swiss type tools for swiss machining, the rest are losing money.

I started machining the parts last week and I am currently single point threading them. As for the thread rolling test I ordered rollers for the largest thread, if the machine doesn't have the power to do the largest one then there is no sense in spending thousands of dollars on a head that can just do a few threads. Single point is working fine and I am using a full profile insert.

Update: The thread rolling head we got would not fit in the machine, it was about 1/8 inch too long and would hit the guide bushing when that station was called up. Sad part is we checked that on the spec sheet and it says it's 1/4 inch smaller than it actually is. So we said the hell with it and we are just going to stick with single pointing. Thanks Brian

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBrian View Post
    Update: The thread rolling head we got would not fit in the machine, it was about 1/8 inch too long and would hit the guide bushing when that station was called up....
    You can adjust a paramater to get around this.
    Control the process, not the product!
    Machining is more science than art, master the science and the artistry will be evident.

Quote Originally Posted by ProProcess View Post
    You can adjust a paramater to get around this.
    M141W-.125

Should be all you need.. issue isn't really solveable on the A with the fixed drilling post off the gang though.

I've used an M141 with a "W" in the past on our L20's. Unfortunately this is not an option in our A32, the station I'm using is fixed.

Page 2 of 2 12