Sorry guys, it's been a while. I had a few priorities I needed to tend to, but I'm back...

It started out as upgrading parts to my original Solsylva machine. I ended up rebuilding everything! I am still using the steppers and leadscrew bearings from my old machine. Here's the YouTube link:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBm4LWCNMF4"]YouTube - New Home Made CNC Router, Upgraded Parts![/nomedia]
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owgIoN9pKdc"]YouTube - New Home Made CNC Router, In Action![/nomedia]

For the frame and gantry, I used 1" black phenolic. Believe it or not, I cut all the pieces with my old Solsylva machine (the burn marks tell the story!) But I had difficulties adjusting the feed/router speed, where my machine wasn't ridgid enough for the speed I needed. It is now .

For the X and Y axis linear rails, I used ROLLON 43-series tracks and trucks. On both axes, I used a T in conjunction with a U rail. The U rail allows for any misalignment, and the T track handles most of the side-to-side load, as well as the leadscrew.

I used roller skate bearings for the Z axis, but integrated them into the carriage sides. This made fitting and assembling the carriage more difficult since there are 6 bearings a side, but I feel it's stiffer than the normal 4 bearing configuration. I adjusted the preload by sizing up the router plate, and the outer bearings are adjustable.

For the X axis, I stayed with the dual leadscrew/timing belt configuration. Because my frame is now slightly narrower, my belt was too long, and ordering a new one right now was out of the question. So I redesigned the stepper mount, where I have now 4 idlers holdoing the belt in a "W" shape. The belt tension is adjusted by raising the stepper plate.

I liked the 24 x 32 cutting area I had with the old machine, so that remains the same. To achieve that, I lowered the side rails all the way to the table, and raised the gantry sides. I could still bkock the machine up if need be, though I think having the frame direct to the table adds more stability. I also tapped holes in the phenolic and assenbled everything with bolts, so everything is tighter now. I hope with the added weight, I'll get evevn more improvement in cut quality (though I did successfully cut aluminum with the Solsylva build.) The gantry assembly with the router is about 60 pounds, maybe more.

I also brought the monitor, keyboard, trackball, and card reader to the top. Prevoiusly they were all in the shelf, and I had to make like a troll to access them!

I'll take pics tonight... Need a new wasteboard, then I can start cutting! Thanks for looking!