587,890 active members*
3,224 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

please help find/choose linux CAM software...

Hey guys,

I will be running Ubuntu and using EMC2 for machine control. I plan on using either QCAD or TurboCAD on my Mac (OS 10.5) so I am not stuck in my shop for the CAD portion of my projects. I would like to use my linux machine for the CAM part of the process as well as machine control.

I have done some pretty extensive searching and would like to what people use here at cnczone. I have found a couple pieces of Linux CAM software, MonoCAM, and SheetCAM.

Does anyone have experience with these, or have any other Linux based CAM recommendations?

I would like my work flow to be as such:

1. Work out CAD drawings. On my Apple laptop, I can bring this anywhere. (i.e. the bathroom.)
    2. Go into my shop, Import CAD drawing into CAM software on Linux machine.
    3. Export G-Code to EMC2 for machine control.

Any tips or advice will be GREATLY appreciated. I'm new to this, but I have much computer background as well as manual machining.

Thanx in advance,

shotgunn
    CM X1 (Harbor Freight), Probotix 3-axis kit, cncfusion X1 kit, Shuttle KPC 45, Linux Ubuntu, EMC2, QCad on Mac OS X 10.5

I have no experience with any Linux CAM software, but the Cam page on the EMC2 Wiki has a big list.

I am new to linux, but have sheetcam on there and do some experimentation and confirmation from my windows based stuff. So far, I find it to be excellent on both the platforms.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

if you are generating cad files, save them to DXF and use DXF2Gcode. Do some googling and you should find a bunch of file converters. I have heard of several people using QCAD and a DXF to Gcode program to generate the buk of thier code. They usually run the resulting code in simulation to insure its what they want.

As to CAM programs, there is now a CAM IRC Channel you can log in to and get more concise answers to whats working well in linux (and whats not).

IRC Channel is #CAM on Freenode.org

HTH's

BMG

Ubuntu with EMC2

Shotgunn,

Like you I'm working toward a CNC router with Ubuntu with EMC2 for the CAM portion. However, I'm still trying to decide which CAD program to start with.
    I haven't spent much time working with CAD programs so easy to learn would be best, but I don't want to waste time learning something that won't export files cleanly to EMC2.

Any recommendations?

Desertrat50

3d cnc software

need help

question can anyone help with 3d software for cutting rudder blades and are there mid priced packages that some would recommend

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRat50 View Post
    Like you I'm working toward a CNC router with Ubuntu with EMC2 for the CAM portion.
    It reads like you're misunderstanding the roles of the different software.

CAD creates drawing files.

CAM imports those files and creates tool paths. It posts these tool paths in a language you're chosen interpretor will understand. Emc's interpretor speaks a slightly different dialect than some other controls. CAM has various post processors to accommodate these differences. Not all CAM has an emc post.
    Some software (like Mastercam) has both a design (CAD) and a CAM component.

Emc does the interpretation of the gcode (post) file CAM posts.

I haven't spent much time working with CAD programs so easy to learn would be best, but I don't want to waste time learning something that won't export files cleanly to EMC2.
    So the real question is which CAM software creates a good emc post. Sorry if I'm being a bit nit-picky.

Any recommendations?
    What type of complexity of parts do you hope to make. I work mostly in 2+1/2 dimensions so can't be much help with the fancy stuff.

provo2007

Are your rudders 3d objects like a propeller ? I'm curious if they might be 2+1/2 dimensional objects.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Shotgunn,

I have QCad and VectorWorks12 on my Mac. I also use VCarve and NCPlot2 (both running under Windows XP on Parallels) to generate gcode from DXF files, but most of my gcode I just write by hand. I just stick the gcode file on a thumb drive and take it out to the shop, copy the code from the thumb drive to the nc_files folder, then fire up EMC2, open the file and go.

Alan

I have ended up using Vectric Cut2D for my CAM needs. I chose this because of a recommendation from Len (@ Probotix.com, GREAT GUY!!!) Not to mention the cost factor, $99 from Len. I just email myself the file when I need it on my linux machine. Doing that way is actually quicker than using a flash drive. Cut2D is PC based software. It works great, they have outstanding tech support, and it is very user friendly.

I hope that helps.

shotgunn
    CM X1 (Harbor Freight), Probotix 3-axis kit, cncfusion X1 kit, Shuttle KPC 45, Linux Ubuntu, EMC2, QCad on Mac OS X 10.5