587,354 active members*
3,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > General Off Topic Discussions > Please help me run this treadmill controller

Please help me run this treadmill controller

Hi,

I just firied my KBWS-25D drive so I'm really upset. To replace it I have a matched treadmill motor and a controller. On the controller there is a 5 pin MCON connection socket, a 4 pin SPEED socket and a relay. I read AL308C-RZ3.5 JASON121214 on the controller which I'm guessing that it is the model number but nothing about it on the net.

What I'm trying is to connect a potentiometer (3 leads) to the SPEED socket but the socket has 4 pins. I tried to connect the 3 wires (of the pot) to the left 3 pins and the right 3 pins but no luck.

The MCON socket I think is where to connect the control panel of the treadmill. And some pins together (when closed) must trigger the relay to get the controller working.

How can I simply get this thing working?

MCON socket:

SPEED socket:

Re: Please help me run this treadmill controller

Not even a tiny idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Azalin View Post
    Not even a tiny idea?
    Well, unless you have the schematics (or the rest of the treadmill), you just have to reverse-engineer the board. I would start with the pinout of the connectors. The MCON connector has two optocouplers nearby, so presumably it has two button inputs. The SPEED connector most likely goes to the opamp; trace the wires and see what pin goes where.

I'm searching for hours but no luck. I'm really tired.

I wanted to follow the lines as you suggest. I tried to remove the aluminum base but the screws gone bad. Imagine this is a brand new controller board an not a single word about it. I hate when the Chinese doing that. No schematics, no manual. Nothing.

The controller needs a PWM signal not an analog voltage output from potentiometer. There are a host of ways to supply this signal starting with a 555 timer circuit or any small DC motor controller/LED dimmer. You don't need a schematic, the board is right in front of you. A continuity tester will help you to trace where the pins on the board go. My guess is the 4 pins are (GND, VCC, PWM, ENABLE) in no particular order.

I tried to trace the lines on the board but I really didn't understand anything. I think this job requires some electronic background.

From what your saying my guess is, GND and VCC is to power up the control panel of the treadmill. PWM would be a signal something like what the small RC servo testers make? I have some of them if I can use. Turnigy 760LV-HV Dual Pulse Width Selectable Servo Tester

But I have no idea what kind of signal the ENABLE could be. But I guess that signal activates the relay to start the controller.

I found a used control panel that is removed from the same treadmill. Have not purchased it yet. Should I try my luck with the servo tester or go the easy route and buy the panel? I don't want to control my lathe with a treadmill panel though.

Or you could just drive the gate of the MOSFET with a PWM signal.

Watch his second video (which I can't post) for more details.

Sorry if I'm being stupid. I watched the video (and the second). He said, trim some ways to disable half part of the board, cut the gate of the transformer, feed it with 5v external power. He didn't said the rest or I missed it (probably because my bad English). I hoped for a next video.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

OK enough with so much mystery What is the rest of the story? How and where do you connect the PWM signal?

Whatever.

I took the controller to a treadmill repair shop and find a suitable control panel. The connection as you see in the photos is GND, VCC, REV, SEND. These pins goes to the MCON socket in the controller.

In the third photo the jumper marked with the red square triggers the relay on the controller. When open the controller goes to safety mode. When close it goes to ready-to-run mode.

My 2 cent worth gues is:

- GND is grounding or negative pole
    - VCC is positive pole that powers up the control panel
    - REV should be what the jumper does. It triggers the relay. So how can I trigger the relay without a control panel?
    - SEND must be the PWM signal that the panel is sending? If so can I simulate this PWM by using a 5v PWM drivers positive pole output?

Now we know what pin goes where. All I need to know how to trick the controller. Any help would be appreciated.