587,108 active members*
4,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Power Path 15 Ext. Threading

Anyone have any experience cutting threads using the thread cycle? How do you program a feed rate into it?

Quote Originally Posted by bink View Post
    Anyone have any experience cutting threads using the thread cycle? How do you program a feed rate into it?
    If it programs anything like an ez path then you don't use feed rate for threading. The rpm of the spindle and the number of threads per inch or mm sets the feed rate during threading.

yeah, thats how it's programmed. it just looks way to fast. maybe turn the override down a bit to slow it down? i'm threading 316L ss, with the kennametal top notch threading insert nt3rk. insert isn't holding up too well. any experience threading ss with this insert?

Quote Originally Posted by bink View Post
    yeah, thats how it's programmed. it just looks way to fast. maybe turn the override down a bit to slow it down? i'm threading 316L ss, with the kennametal top notch threading insert nt3rk. insert isn't holding up too well. any experience threading ss with this insert?
    316 is a tough material. Feed rate over ride will not work because the cutter has to feed at the pitch of the thread. Slowing the spindle speed down is the only way to slow the feed rate down. They track together to cut the thread your trying to cut.

I don't know how you are feeding into the cut. If you are not coming in at an angle you may want to try that. Feeding in at a 0 degree angle feeds strait into the cut. Feeding in at an angle will let the cutter take most of the cut on one side of the cutter and not just plunge the point of the tip into the part.

Keep a lot of cutting oil on the cutter and part. Take small cuts of about .002 of an inch max. Set min cut to .001". If you are making threads in the range of 3/8-16 or less then try a spindle speed of around 300 rpm.

Hope some of this helps.

Bret

If yours works like mine It seems to thread best at around 250 RPM. set up the lead at 1 inch/#threads. Next multiply this by .7 or.8 for the thread height, you can adjust the thread height for fit.Now set cut depth .001 per pass, add a clean up pass or 2 at the end. set your angle for 30 deg. and turn your feed down so that the return pass at rapid doesn't dance the machine.Beginning diameter and end diameter are the same unless you are turning tapered threads. .250 .250 etc. if you have flood use it if not lots of oil. I love cutting threads on this machine.
    Another Day in Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Riverside192 View Post
    If yours works like mine It seems to thread best at around 250 RPM. set up the lead at 1 inch/#threads. Next multiply this by .7 or.8 for the thread height, you can adjust the thread height for fit.Now set cut depth .001 per pass, add a clean up pass or 2 at the end. set your angle for 30 deg. and turn your feed down so that the return pass at rapid doesn't dance the machine.Beginning diameter and end diameter are the same unless you are turning tapered threads. .250 .250 etc. if you have flood use it if not lots of oil. I love cutting threads on this machine.
    Good advice. I love cutting threads on this machine too! I don't understand the multiply this by .7 or .8 for the thread height. My machine figures out the thread height when you set the lead with 1 inch/#threads automatically. It enters that info in the thread height field for me.

For most threads in Ti or aluminum I have been able to run .002 per pass and .001 for the min cut per pass.

What do you mean by dance the machine? My machine does the rapid just fine at full speed.

The thread height default doesn't allways create the fit I'm looking for. The .7 or .8 or even a .65 equates to percentage of thread height. That way I can make everything from an interference fit to a throw a nut at it fit. I get my best threads in stainless at .001 per pass and usually type in 3 clean up passes. Stainless is a gummy? metal to thread as compared to 1018 or aluminum. As far as dancing the machine goes, the shop is on the second floor here and if I have it set to full tilt boogie you can feel the vibrations in the concrete floor. Not only that it just looks scarry watching the tool changer run at full speed toward the chuck.
    Another Day in Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Riverside192 View Post
    The thread height default doesn't allways create the fit I'm looking for. The .7 or .8 or even a .65 equates to percentage of thread height. That way I can make everything from an interference fit to a throw a nut at it fit. I get my best threads in stainless at .001 per pass and usually type in 3 clean up passes. Stainless is a gummy? metal to thread as compared to 1018 or aluminum. As far as dancing the machine goes, the shop is on the second floor here and if I have it set to full tilt boogie you can feel the vibrations in the concrete floor. Not only that it just looks scarry watching the tool changer run at full speed toward the chuck.
    I'll have to try that .7 or .8 to get the thread height where I want it. What I have been doing is change the start dia. and end dia. to get the thread fit I want. Most of the time I have to drop those dia's by .003 or .004 to get the fit I want. Lucky that most of my threading is in 303 Stainless of Ti. They cut really nice.

My machine is on a heavy cement floor and if rock solid. Almost every program I over ride the feed rate the first time around so it doesn't ram the part or worst the chuck before I can hit the E-stop or just hit the feed rate down one more step to 0% to stop it. Then if everything looks I let it rip.