587,203 active members*
3,283 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Recomendation for 'Basic' CAM program

Recomendation for 'Basic' CAM program

Hi everyone,

Hve put together a CNC router using a Old parts from a Newport kliner scanning system that my employers were scrapping about a year ago now... so far i have managed to wrte a very basic program to control it but was wondering if there was any of the shelf programs that will interface with the Newport M4005 controllers.

I am a total newbee to the whole DIY router sceen but seen a few clips on youtube of thing peopl have made so took the oppertunity when the linier slides, rotation stages and controllers became availible to start my own project.

if anyone has any knowlage of this particular system or of CAM programes that will interface with the controller pretty much hassel free i would be greatful for the advice and help.

Quote Originally Posted by gambit101 View Post

if anyone has any knowlage of this particular system or of CAM programes that will interface with the controller pretty much hassel free i would be greatful for the advice and help.
    ROFLMAO!!!!

"..pretty much hassel free..." Love it.
    Easy to recognize, it's the one the unicorn delivers.

You might consider VisualMill

Mecsoft (the manufacturer) has a standing offer to configure a post-processor to deal with any odd system a customer's got, if it's not on their extensive list of posts already. Assuming that this controller of yours is capable of interpreting g-code of some sort, it shouldn't be too hard to get something to work. Do you have the specifications for the Newton M4005? That would doubtless help...

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

fizzissist stated: "ROFLMAO!!!!

"..pretty much hassel free..."
    Love it.
    Easy to recognize, it's the one the unicorn delivers."

Absolutely priceless!!!!

POWERSTATION CAD/CAM
    demo runs forever , only codes to two decimal places but plus minus ten thou is nothing for basic wood cutting
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

................ pretty much hassel free.........
    Unfortunately nothing in DIY CNC is hassel free..:drowning:

And at least you've made a wise start to seeking info, but you will have to do a lot of research yourself but whilst this is time consuming the experience learned will be in it's self it's own reward. A simple question you pose as to the most hassel free CAM software may suit some and not you, and I've seen a post here where Ger (moderator) sums it up pretty well it's down to what will suit you for your requirements.....

Here's a few links for CAM software to choose from and there's loads more too
    BobCAD BobCAD-CAM | Powerful & Affordable CNC CAD/CAM Software Solutions
    DelCAM CAD CAM Software Solutions - Delcam
    EasyMILL Easymill CAM The Essential Milling Solution
    FreeMILL FreeMILL, Free CAM software - Rhinoceros - Related Products and Services
    HyperMILL OPEN MIND - hyperMILL: CAM Software for Milling
    MeshCAM MeshCAM - CNC Software - CAD/CAM Software
    OneCNC CAD CAM CNC software solutions by OneCNC CAD/CAM
    RhinoCAM RhinoCAM - Affordable Integrated CAM Software for CNC machining for Rhinoceros CAD Software
    Vetric Vectric - CNC Software Solutions - Wood Carving - Engraving - Signmaking - Routing - Machining
    Visual CAM MecSoft Corporation: CAD CAM Software | Computer Aided Design | Computer Aided Manufacturing

another suggestion is to read threads here as to what members are using and the advantages and disadvantages that arise.....
    Also most of the CAM software companies will allow you to download a free demo full working version for you to evaluate but with most (not all) of the evaluations you will not be allowed to postprocess.

Good luck with your search....:cheers:
    Eoin

A couple suggestiosn and an insight or two.

Try D2nc [D2nc.com] for a real simple and fast CAM program for 2/2.5D. It is the CAM program that really helped me and really got me going. It imports DXF files from CAD programs and changes them into g-code. It does take a bit of effort, like all the software associated with CNC, but the learning curve is only steep in a couple places, and the video tutorial and help files are very good. A lot of great wizards.

The step up to 3D I'd suggest either Cam Bam or MeshCAM. I use Cam Bam for 3D though only have used it for two months. At first it is a steep learning curve, but the video tutorials and help files are very good. The folks on the forum are very helpful and you get specific answers quickly. After learning all the details of the user interface, it can be used quite quickly.

A long term contributor on CNCZone, Ger21, uses MeshCAM and has many good things to say about it. I did look at it and was impressed with the visual nature of it. I did nto begin to use it as at some point I had to get on with a 3D software program and I had a couple weeks into Cam Bam.

Any Vectric products are good. I think they give you a lot of bang for your buck. I am looking hard at VCarve Pro and Cut 3D.

All this said, like everything else with DIY CNC, it takes intellectual effort, and the ability to be frustrated to a degree that is hard to believe, to achieve results. Lots of quiet time studying. Fortunately, the more effort the better and faster the results.

The other odd phenomenon is that you will find that you will try and fail and try and fail and try and fail beyond anything you have done before, and are almost ready to give up, and POW, everything just seems to fall into place and its easy, well not easy, but at least you won't be as easily frustrated.

. so far i have managed to wrte a very basic program to control it but was wondering if there was any of the shelf programs that will interface with the Newport M4005 controllers.
    What does a simple program for your machine look like ? To trace a 4" square for example? What I'm wondering is whether the software is interpreting more-or-less generic G-code or something else altogether.

edit/ Asked another way, would it understand most of the commands listed here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-code
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

cheers for the relpies..

ill have a look at come of the programs suggested by you all and see if any of them come with that unicorn haha

example of the coding im having to used to make a 20mm square would look something like this given that the 'x' axis is 1 and 'y' is 2

1pa0,2pa0,ws,2pa20,ws,1pa20,ws,2pa0,ws,1pa0.

for interpolation on geting the machine to move in an arc the coding looks like this do move in an arc of R100 at an angle of 90 degrees

1ax,2ay
    nt,fa0,cr100,ca90,et

have any of you come across coding like this before? or is this a totally different beast to G-code interpreting programes?

have any of you come across coding like this before? or is this a totally different beast to G-code interpreting programes?
    I haven't seen code exactly like that, for sure it's not G-code. It' looks like something Newport has developed in-house or something they have licensed from somewhere and it would help to know if it exists under another name.

It's as awerby suggested. To create files for that control the CAM program will need the correct post process.

cheers for the relpies..

ill have a look at come of the programs suggested by you all and see if any of them come with that unicorn haha

example of the coding im having to used to make a 20mm square would look something like this given that the 'x' axis is 1 and 'y' is 2

1pa0,2pa0,ws,2pa20,ws,1pa20,ws,2pa0,ws,1pa0.

for interpolation on geting the machine to move in an arc the coding looks like this do move in an arc of R100 at an angle of 90 degrees

1ax,2ay
    nt,fa0,cr100,ca90,et

This is NOT G-code, part of the problem with your post processing request. Looks much more like a form of HPGL. If that's what you control needs to be fed, you're going to need the appropriate interpreter, or something to convert a G-code output into this....and I don't see any of this as hassle free.
    ...Could be there's a CAM program with a built in or 3rd party plug-in... But I'd be painting up a parking space for that unicorn.

One little rainbow in your future is that HPGL isn't something new to the mix. It's used by a lot of routers and engravers because of its origins.

cheers for the advise fizzissist starting to gathered it wasnt quite hassle free with the coding as the only way i've ben able to work the machine, was by writting pages of coding from working the dimensions off of my cad software. Then executing them to the controller through a very basic program written in labveiw by a works collegue, haha almost feels like im using an old acorn basic!!

i'll have a good route about on the web to see what i can find on HPGL interpreters and converter software as thats a start,

It's not the format of HPGL exported by Corel or Inkscape but it does look plotter-ish.
    It is possible CAM post process assumes some variation of G-code, thankfully I've never had a need to explore it.

With some coding skills an Inkscape extension could be a bit of fun.
    EMC Documentation Wiki: InkscapeHowto
    (the one listed as "second way")
    Not a great solution if your control can't queue a bazillion tiny line segments however.

Add madCAM to the list of affordable CAM software to consider:

MadCam Start page
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Take a look on this site: Newport Corporation

Also, have you looked at converting the equipment to run on modern day controllers; i.e. MACH3, EMC2 or Dynomotion | Motion Control Boards ?