587,228 active members*
5,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Remote Cylce Start and stop button
Page 2 of 2 12

Exclamation BE CAREFUL

For a while, I used an Ergodex gaming keypad for my inputs. I designed a custom layout for the direction keys, the ESC, START, STOP, Pause, single step, and maybe another one or two. It was real easy to program using the simulated keystrokes. I really liked the convenience. I could start/pause/stop/ at will without having to reach for the keyboard or mouse.

However, I ran in to trouble a few times. Even though the START button was not immediately at the edge, there were a few times it was hit accidentally. Guess what - the machine started. Fortunately, my fingers were not too close to the cutter. Now I use the Tormach shuttle and the keyboard for starts and stops

Whatever you do, carefully consider what would happen if you dropped your device, it got splashed, something fell on it, a child came by and pushed the pretty button, and everything else that might remotely happen before you finally to go with another START button.

John

I have found that I can hit Alt-R on the keyboard much faster than I can even grab the mouse. It's kind of like speed loading a revolver; if you visualize the 'Alt' key as you approach, you can hold it and quickly aim for the 'R' key in one rocking motion. I'm probably well under one second, including the reach to the keyboard.

Give it a try!

- Just Gary

keystrokes

But then I would have to remember where the R is, and also not hit the T,E,D, or F by accident. Never have been very good at the keyboard thing. I prefer the mouse when using my CAD and CAM programs, but I know guys you use all the keystroke shortcuts. Not me.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Page 2 of 2 12