587,997 active members*
2,004 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RFQ - Small aluminum parts

Hey, guys. I'm new to the forums. I'm starting a small business for radio controlled hobby accessories. I am currently in need of a small parts machinist for several aluminum accessories. I have some basic illustrated drawings that I would like to get quotes on. The drawings are not to precisely scale, however the measurements are correct. I'm unsure of the different aluminums available so I can't say exactly what material I'm looking for. At the moment just a standard grade "aluminum". I can likely get more details if necessary.

These are the first of many similar accessories. Ideally it would be great to find a small machine shop or individual with the capacity to produce these and several other items on a regular basis. Other services I will be looking for in the future will include water-jetting for carbon fiber chassis and other components and thermoplastic vacuum forming.

Item #1 "Shock boot clip"

This item is basically a clip that will hold up a protective silicone boot over a shock absorber shaft. The silicone boot slides through the center hole and is held from falling through with a small lip. The clip is then slid up on to the bottom of the shock absorber body sandwiching the boot lip between the inside of the cap and the underside of the shock body. The slot acts as mainly a spring mechanism so it fits snugly over the shock body. The shocks are coil-over design as shown in the photo below (spring is wrapped around the outside of the body). The chamfered edge on top is to reduce the possibility of the spring coil getting caught up on the clip and potentially pushing the clip off.

qty: Ongoing production. Maybe 40/month

A dark photo of the shock is shown here:

Item #2 "Offset adapting/spacer"

This item is difficult to explain without photos or video but I will do my best. Currently the wheels are being driven by a 1/16" diameter 3/8" long slotted cross pin/roll pin that slides through intersecting a threaded 3/16" axle. Injection molded wheels slide snugly over and interlock with the cross pin/roll pin. Behind the cross pin is a flat (silver) washer for keeping dust out of the bearings and to provide a flat surface for the wheels to ride against. Axle/cross pin pictured here:

The purpose of this item ("Offset adapting/spacer") is to slide over the axle before the wheel offsetting the wheel outwards approximately 1/4" from its current mounting point. In the illustration the entire piece is shown with a wireframe 3/16" hole for the axle (oriented vertically). The bottom flange replaces the silver washer in the photo. Just above the flange is a 1/16" hole intersecting for the crosspin to slide through the spacer and through the axle. The crosspin is 3/8" long so the OD of the piece at that point should match. Continuing upwards we have an identical flange only mirrored. On top of this flange are two small pins which now act as a cross pin for driving the wheel. The wheel slides on to the axle and interlocks with these pins and a nut is threaded on to the axle. The pins should closely mimic the cross pin (3/8" 'length', 1/16" 'diameter')

qty: Ongoing production. Maybe 20/month

I'm not used to drawing technical images so if there's anything I've left out or any further information is needed from me certainly let me know! If necessary I can get more detailed photos and illustrations.

Thanks, guys!

-Jeff

Hello Jeff,

I will give you some ball park quotes and comments in a day or so. In the mean time could you list your approximate location, makes a difference when quoting shipping time and costs, thanks,........Bob

Fantastic! Rockport, Texas 78358. About 40 minues north of Corpus Christi, Texas.

-Jeff

Here are some more images.

Here's a slightly better photo of the shock absorber:

and here's a rough diagram of of the assembly:

-Jeff

P M sent

Brian

Nice job... PM Sent

I just wanted to add a little bit more information.

Material to be used will most likely be 6061.

I would need to approve a sample before large quantities are run.

Other services I would require though not necessarily by the machinist would be polishing, dying and hard coat anodizing.

Quantities will likely be as follows:
    prototype: 2-10 of each (no need for hardening/dying)
    1st run: 20 shock boot clips, 10 axle spacers
    subsuquent runs: 100-200+ pieces

What is the angle of the 1/16 cross hole to the 3/16 hole on the axle spacer?
    It does not appear to be 90 degrees which will add to manufacturing time
    and cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    What is the angle of the 1/16 cross hole to the 3/16 hole on the axle spacer?
    It does not appear to be 90 degrees which will add to manufacturing time
    and cost.
    I apologize for my sloppy drawing Unfortunately Adobe Illustrator doesn't have very good 3D modeling capabilities. They are both 90 degrees. There are no strange angles in either piece aside from the chamfering of the top of the boot cap and tapering of the flanges on the wheel axle which isn't even necessary (it's mainly just for looks). Thanks!

-Jeff

still open for quotes?

PM sent

Jeff, I do custom machining of aluminum and plastic. I also have avialibilty of a molder if the volume picks up I can build the mold also. You might consider making the shock boot clip from plastic. If you are interested send me an email [email protected] I have my own Hurco in the barn.
    Jetski (alias Tooling and Engineering Czar)
    "I may not have the keys to success.. but I have learned to pick the locks"

Never got the pm. my box was full. please resend or send to [email protected] Thank you.
    Jetski (alias Tooling and Engineering Czar)
    "I may not have the keys to success.. but I have learned to pick the locks"

PM sent

Jeff,
    Are you still in need of a quote for this part or maybe any others? We would be interested in taking a look at anything you have. We have cnc turning and milling capabilities. Let me know.

Thanks,
    Mike