587,172 active members*
3,106 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Self leveling epoxy resin-wear characteristics?

Self leveling epoxy resin-wear characteristics?

Hi,
    somewhere in the polymer concrete machine base discussion there was talk of an epoxy resin which cures to be level within a few thousandths of an inch. I don't recall the name of the product but there may be other products with similar properties. My question is in regard to the mechanical properties of the resin when fully cured, how resistant to wear is it? Because of the high cost of linear rails here in Australia, I had a thought of using a broad foot print lubricated wear plate which slides over the epoxy surface. Assuming the sideways movement could be controlled it may be possible, any thoughts on this?

Splint

Physical properties of resin usually depends on the filler you use, OTOH, hard wearing but non abrasive could be tricky.

If you haven't got granite worktops in the kitchen perhaps you could cast a flat in self levelling resin over concrete. Grease it, lay on gauge plate wear strips then cast the bed upside down?