587,181 active members*
4,121 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Tips on using tool library

Tips on using tool library

I have been using the same tool library I created since starting with sc in 2013.
    I have 59 distinct tools.
    Recently I have been trying to make changes to a tool and sc won't let me and gives me an error that the tool is 'out of grid range' or something like that.
    First, this particular tool does not show up in my list of available tools so I have had to deselect 'use tool library numbers' then open up the sc tool library in excel and delet the tool then re-add the tool.
    Maybe I am doing something wrong or maybe this is a sc peculiarity but if anyone has any suggestions or insight, I would appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Nathan

Re: Tips on using tool library

I have had that happen as well with the out of grid range error.
    I usually give the tool a new number that isnt used, thats why my tool library is so screwed up ha!

Certain tools are listed when a tool type or op is called for, endmill, drill, tap, etc.. Maybe try selecting a different cutter type or op and see if its listed, then edit from there??
    I use Sprut 7 so the problem has been there for a few versions.

I would also be interested for a fix for it.........
    mike sr

I have done that in the past but it is a huge pain because my tools are permanently marked/numbered and I am using an atc.
    I will be trying a work-around later today to see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I have had that happen as well with the out of grid range error.
    I usually give the tool a new number that isnt used, thats why my tool library is so screwed up ha!

Certain tools are listed when a tool type or op is called for, endmill, drill, tap, etc.. Maybe try selecting a different cutter type or op and see if its listed, then edit from there??
    I use Sprut 7 so the problem has been there for a few versions.

I would also be interested for a fix for it.........

Pops,
    I have SC7.1.6.51469 and I don't get that "out of grid range" error, in fact I have never seen it. But I cannot change the tool type and get the corresponding list. What release of SC7 do you have?

Nathan,
    What's your SC version & release?

This is probably another case of each release fixes a few bugs and introduces new ones. I wonder if the pre-release checking is better with 8 and 9, not that I intend to upgrade.
    Bevin

Quote Originally Posted by bevinp View Post
    Pops,
    I have SC7.1.6.51469 and I don't get that "out of grid range" error, in fact I have never seen it. But I cannot change the tool type and get the corresponding list. What release of SC7 do you have?

Nathan,

This is probably another case of each release fixes a few bugs and introduces new ones. I wonder if the pre-release checking is better with 8 and 9, not that I intend to upgrade.
    Bevin
    Bevin,
    I have Sprut 7 version 64105, the latest release of 7, I have this "out of grid range" error occasionally, its when I try to save a tool in the library and there is one already in that slot, even though it doesnt show up in the tool list on the op your working on.
    They wanted 1250 dollars to upgrade (buy it new again) so I figured I would keep #7
    They fixed some 2D contour problems selecting all parts of some of the curves when trying to select them for engraving in the later versions of 7.

This is more a hobby in my case, so I cant see spending more money for a new set of "bugs and fixes" as I am used to the old ones ha!!
    mike sr

Bevin, Cad Rhino,

This is the error window that comes up when trying to add a tool with a number which is in the list but is not shown, in sprut 7 version 64105

Going to tormach, parameters, work with tool library, select mill tools, after doing this a list of all the tools comes up, I think maybe it can be edited from there as well.
    mike sr

I am on 8 with the latest/last release

Quote Originally Posted by bevinp View Post
    Pops,

Nathan,

Bevin

It it not a clean work-around but I was able to delete the tool from my excel sheet in sc and then re-assign the tool number but I had to uncheck the 'use library tool number' box. This does not make a permanent tool change but allows for a temp listing under 'used' tab.
    It works but dut does not show up in my tool library as a selection option. It only shows up in the 'used' tab.

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post

Bevin, Cad Rhino,

This is the error window that comes up when trying to add a tool with a number which is in the list but is not shown, in sprut 7 version 64105

Going to tormach, parameters, work with tool library, select mill tools, after doing this a list of all the tools comes up, I think maybe it can be edited from there as well.

Update, I tried this in sc 9 and got the same error message.
    Maybe they have fixed this in sc10.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    It it not a clean work-around but I was able to delete the tool from my excel sheet in sc and then re-assign the tool number but I had to uncheck the 'use library tool number' box. This does not make a permanent tool change but allows for a temp listing under 'used' tab.
    It works but dut does not show up in my tool library as a selection option. It only shows up in the 'used' tab.

The tools library is one of the more error prone and difficult parts of this program to work with.
    I avoid some problems "I think" by editing tools as detailed below.

Select the tormach machine root.
    Select the parameters button.
    Select the machines tab.
    Select work with tools button at bottom right.
    Select the library I want to edit. "I have a few" and I keep them backed up in other location also
    Select mill tools
    Select property view to edit or create tools
    Select table view and review and edit additional fields not in property view.
    Select the save button and hope everything is good
    Close all the dialogs and load a template for my new part and setup operations using the new tool or tools.

I also try to backup these files because they are easy to corrupt leading to all kinds of crazy errors and behaviors in sprutcam.
    Please note this dialog set is also confusing to use and takes some time to get decent predictable results.
    In short I set down and created a large complete tool library over a few nights so I can avoid future problems and frustration when I need to get something done.
    Always trying to pick my battles when I have free time to avoid fighting something when I don't.

Thanks md
    I was hoping you would chime in.
    I will take a look at this procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    The tools library is one of the more error prone and difficult parts of this program to work with.
    I avoid some problems "I think" by editing tools as detailed below.

Select the tormach machine root.
    Select the parameters button.
    Select the machines tab.
    Select work with tools button at bottom right.
    Select the library I want to edit. "I have a few" and I keep them backed up in other location also
    Select mill tools
    Select property view to edit or create tools
    Select table view and review and edit additional fields not in property view.
    Select the save button and hope everything is good
    Close all the dialogs and load a template for my new part and setup operations using the new tool or tools.

I also try to backup these files because they are easy to corrupt leading to all kinds of crazy errors and behaviors in sprutcam.
    Please note this dialog set is also confusing to use and takes some time to get decent predictable results.
    In short I set down and created a large complete tool library over a few nights so I can avoid future problems and frustration when I need to get something done.
    Always trying to pick my battles when I have free time to avoid fighting something when I don't.

Here I figured few things out, read my thread how to import SC tool library data into excel and how to export and convert back to SC

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/sprutc...ary-excel.html