588,166 active members*
4,834 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Don't waste your time with Bobcad
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

Don't waste your time with Bobcad

All the company cares about is money, even after you buy their software the sales personell call continally hounding you to buy more software. I been a loyal customer for years, I'm looking elseware for cad cam. If you ever need help from them forget it. You'll have your machinists standing around for hours waiting for them to return your call. Unless you pay a "special" fee to bump you to the front of the list and screw all the other people that have been in line forever. Then you have to pay $250 for your once a year question to be answered. I could go on and on... I hate bad mouthing companies, but I've had enough from Bobcad!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by bert7 View Post
    All the company cares about is money, even after you buy their software the sales personell call continally hounding you to buy more software. I been a loyal customer for years, I'm looking elseware for cad cam. If you ever need help from them forget it. You'll have your machinists standing around for hours waiting for them to return your call. Unless you pay a "special" fee to bump you to the front of the list and screw all the other people that have been in line forever. Then you have to pay $250 for your once a year question to be answered. I could go on and on... I hate bad mouthing companies, but I've had enough from Bobcad!
    I hope your not expecting bobcad to guide you through the learning process of cnc machining as it is not their mandate...I am just a hobbyist but their software always surpassed my need.(until now)

LMAO. Been there, done that. I got ran through the ringer a few years back before eventually buying Dolphin. Surfcam is another good one to look at, however much more expensive. To Bobcads credit though, I asked to put large on my file DO NOT CALL and they haven't since. Good luck on your search.

No I dont need to be taught bobcad...

I reinstalled bobcad and it will not open certain bobcad files I use all the time. I could see if it was a question regarding drawing something.

Quote Originally Posted by bert7 View Post
    I reinstalled bobcad and it will not open certain bobcad files I use all the time. I could see if it was a question regarding drawing something.
    I encountered a couple of problems like that, on one as far as I remember, I copy pasted the entire contents of the file into a new file and saved it with another name. I also discovered BobCad requires Certain files found in Windows updates in XP or it will not run correctly.

Now can someone tell me how much memory is REQUIRED to run BobArt successfully ? Got a computer running 7 and 3 gigs memory and I get out of memory error doing 3D post in BobArt doing an 8x10 picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
    I encountered a couple of problems like that, on one as far as I remember, I copy pasted the entire contents of the file into a new file and saved it with another name. I also discovered BobCad requires Certain files found in Windows updates in XP or it will not run correctly.

Now can someone tell me how much memory is REQUIRED to run BobArt successfully ? Got a computer running 7 and 3 gigs memory and I get out of memory error doing 3D post in BobArt doing an 8x10 picture.
    I ve encounter similar problem when trying to do lithopane with high resolution images . The amount of information overwhelmed the software it seem. Check the amount of Mbyte in the photo.
    There must be a way to save the picture to a lower resolution.
    good luck

See next post.

There could be a couple things to look at before you get to "optimize the RAM to it's potential"....

Be sure that you boundry off the "edges" of the BobArt surface so the toolpath soesnt hit them.. The BobArt surface can be very detailed (zoom way in on it to see if it is very defined at the pixal level of the original bitmap) These very vertical "spikes" up and down at the surface edge can make the toolpath unattainable for a limited system.

The spikes in the surface can be "smoothed" by setting a lower resolution on the BobArt stock.

Lastly, as a last resort, you can set your machine tolerance larger in the current settings.. This will be a less heavy calc also (default is .0001)

After that, it gets into how much RAM you have provided the app for it's calculations... Rememebr that of 3 gigs, BobCad doesnt get all of that.. Is the OS 64 bit or 32.. Depending on this, there are some things you can start to do, but best to just get a toolpath with the stuff talked about before the apps RAM accesss.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    There could be a couple things to look at before you get to "optimize the RAM to it's potential"....

Be sure that you boundry off the "edges" of the BobArt surface so the toolpath soesnt hit them.. The BobArt surface can be very detailed (zoom way in on it to see if it is very defined at the pixal level of the original bitmap) These very vertical "spikes" up and down at the surface edge can make the toolpath unattainable for a limited system.

The spikes in the surface can be "smoothed" by setting a lower resolution on the BobArt stock.

Lastly, as a last resort, you can set your machine tolerance larger in the current settings.. This will be a less heavy calc also (default is .0001)

After that, it gets into how much RAM you have provided the app for it's calculations... Rememebr that of 3 gigs, BobCad doesnt get all of that.. Is the OS 64 bit or 32.. Depending on this, there are some things you can start to do, but best to just get a toolpath with the stuff talked about before the apps RAM accesss.
    Thanks for the comeback BurrMan,
    I only got that error on one attempt, as I have been unsuccessful at getting BobArt to compute from [emboss from image again], a training issue on my part I think, I will review the videos again. Task manager reports "not responding", when doing vectorize and tool paths and I find Task Manager LIES ! You just have to wait while the computer does it's work. So my questions for you are:
    1. Are INTEL more compatible than AMD processors, vice versa, or no matter.

2.Any software known to "upset" BobCad, which should be left out of a
    dedicated BobCad computer ?

a. Anything "special" as to how to configure a computer to optimize for
    BobCad to avoid lock ups and crashes ?
    b. Memory. Again how much?
    c. Operating system: Which do you recommend ?
    d. Any special way to configure hard drive as far as partitioning and partition
    size? Should BobCad have it's own partition separate from Windozzzze?
    e. Any preference, in terms of compatibility with video cards ? Any special
    configurations to recommend or avoid ?

I use BobCad every Day, and at first I had all the troubles and complaints I see in this forum, but as I learned and tweaked and hammered on the computer I resolved most of them. I like using BobCad to do 2D, it's quick
    and easy once you get the hang of it. 3D on a 3 axis machine IMHO is a waste of time (and you will use lots of it), when machining metal anyway, but for a wood butcher, it's probably all right*, though opinions are subject
    to change with experience.

*Feed rates matter, machine time matters, wood is WAY FASTER.

There is one thing I would like to see altered in Bobcad, I would like the post to increment the program number on each post until it rolls over @ O9999. As it now defaults to O100 I often forget to change it in the post and overwrite the program in my machine. I often use separate programs instead of dumping it all into one.

Hi Joe,
    There is one thing I would like to see altered in Bobcad, I would like the post to increment the program number on each post until it rolls over @ O9999. As it now defaults to O100 I often forget to change it in the post and overwrite the program in my machine. I often use separate programs instead of dumping it all into one
    You could get this doen with scripting.. You would have to have your post read a value generated by the last code (maybe stored in a text file on your computer?) then output line numbers accordingly... It would be a little beyond me here... Maybe you could find someone (or maybe you are) good enough with vbscript to help you write that to output as you want?

I only got that error on one attempt, as I have been unsuccessful at getting BobArt to compute from [emboss from image again], a training issue on my part I think, I will review the videos again. Task manager reports "not responding", when doing vectorize and tool paths and I find Task Manager LIES ! You just have to wait while the computer does it's work.
    Yeah, "not responding" doesnt mean "locked up and crashed".. It just means "to busy to respond"... so to speak..

A better way to see if the program is dumped, would be to look on the processes tab at the executable and look at the "Memory(private working set) value.. If these numbers are "crunching away", then the program is not locked up.. If they are dead in the water, then you may want to just stop the misery.. I computed a toolpath for a guy a couple months ago that took something like 6 hours..

1. Are INTEL more compatible than AMD processors, vice versa, or no matter.
    I wouldnt say with BobCad.. More for the task at hand and particular processor.. I havnt stayed up on it bery well latley either.. It used to be known that amd's were very good for "graphics" I use Xeons which have a more robust instructionset for heavier math calcs.. There are so many different processors.. It's best to just not get a "value" one...

2.Any software known to "upset" BobCad, which should be left out of a dedicated BobCad computer ?
    I havnt found anything.. If you can dedicate a computer for BC, then the best thing is to just eliminate anything running (processes and services) that dont need to be there.. These would just be using RAM that could be available for the current operation.. Like, does it need to be running the "audio service" or the "Wirless networking service"?? Stuff like that.

a. Anything "special" as to how to configure a computer to optimize for
    BobCad to avoid lock ups and crashes ?
    b. Memory. Again how much?
    c. Operating system: Which do you recommend ?
    d. Any special way to configure hard drive as far as partitioning and partition
    size? Should BobCad have it's own partition separate from Windozzzze?
    e. Any preference, in terms of compatibility with video cards ? Any special
    configurations to recommend or avoid ?

a. Just spoke about processes and services.. The other thing to mention that is not exactly listed here is hardware compatability... This is an area often overlooked and REALLY what we are paying someone like "Dell" for.. They do extensive R&D on matching motherboard/processor/componets etc, etc... You cant just buy motherboard "a" and plugin processor "b" because they say they are compatable, and expect optimal results...there are desirable "marriages"..

b. depends on what you normally do.. You mentioned you do 2d work... I've never had a real issue with computing a 2d toopath and speed or ram. For a few years I ran it well on a P4 with one gig.. But I knew I couldnt toolpath a 150 MB STL with the equaldistant offset toolpath! BobCad is a 32 bit application, so you'll never get it more than 3.something on a 64 bit OS A little less on a 32 bit OS (with some tweaking)

c. This more depends on the computer your running it on.. For "BobCad", you will want a "pro" level OS.. The "home" ones have limitations that will interfere.. For the OS choice, the hardware on the box will determine that for me...You cant expect your old computer to run Windows 7 well...Be sure the hardware was "manufactured compatable" with the hardware. Not "made compatable" for it.

d. Thats personal!!! lol I would only say stick with one of the giants.. They will be doing more robust work on their drivers, more regularly.. I have used an ATI and I currently have an NVIDIA. Personally, I think nvidia does a better job at their drivers.. I run the latest beta drivers with them..

There is one thing I would like to see altered in Bobcad, I would like the post to increment the program number on each post until it rolls over @ O9999. As it now defaults to O100 I often forget to change it in the post and overwrite the program in my machine. I often use separate programs instead of dumping it all into one.
    I wrote a script that warns me if I've forgotten to change the program number and allows me to change it when I hit the post button. Interested?

Yeah, I've done that more times than I care to think of
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mastercam X9/2017 Multiaxis for SolidWorks - Bobcad V29 3ax Pro 4ax Std.

i know everyone isnt rich...but i saved up for gibbscam...best money i ever spent

I have bobcad v23. I guess you have to be a computer wizard to get bobcad to work on your windows 7 64 bit computer. or Its total bull that that v23 even works on a 64 bit computer. Ive used all vectric software and to use something that works. Is completely unreal after Fighting with bobcad v23.

Quote Originally Posted by Korellibopper View Post
    I have bobcad v23. I guess you have to be a computer wizard to get bobcad to work on your windows 7 64 bit computer. or Its total bull that that v23 even works on a 64 bit computer. Ive used all vectric software and to use something that works. Is completely unreal after Fighting with bobcad v23.
    64 bit OS here and programming for 6 mills daily. Would you like help?

Yeah, I'm running W7 64 bit OS.. Didnt jump through any hoops to load it.. Just double clicked on the installer...

I've seen alot of "vetric" comments here in the BobCad forum... Compared to BobCad, "Vetric" is a kids toy!!!! You dont even know what you are speaking about!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Yeah, I'm running W7 64 bit OS.. Didnt jump through any hoops to load it.. Just double clicked on the installer...
    Have you tried running it in 32bit compatability mode? It runs on my wife's Acer Aspire WIN 7 x64 box I believe just that way, I am not so sure and not at her computer right now, but as I remember you Right Click the bobcad icon and select properties and from there . . . . select compatability mode, pick I dunno, WIN XP PRO, and viola BobCad thinks that is the OP System in use. Microshaft didn't want to completely alienate all of its potential customers by completely obsoleting their softeware right away. The MAY be saving that trick for later.

Quote Originally Posted by Korellibopper View Post
    Working on a Quad-Core i7 on my desktop, Win7 64 bit Pro, as well as an Atom Gateway Netbook that is a few years old, when it was on Win7 64 bit Home, and now upgraded to Pro.

You DO need to run as Admin (right click the icon, click properties, it is under the "Compatibility" tab), other than that I don't think it takes anything special to get it to work. You do NOT need to run it in any compatibility mode.

What is yours doing?
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Working on a Quad-Core i7 on my desktop, Win7 64 bit Pro, as well as an Atom Gateway Netbook that is a few years old, when it was on Win7 64 bit Home, and now upgraded to Pro.

You DO need to run as Admin (right click the icon, click properties, it is under the "Compatibility" tab), other than that I don't think it takes anything special to get it to work. You do NOT need to run it in any compatibility mode.

What is yours doing?
    Good information, Thank you.

bert7, it generally doesn't take long to get someone going with our software. What is the issue you are having? Or better yet, email me at [email protected] and I can help you. We appreciate that you are our customer. So let's get you some service and help get you going?

Page 1 of 2 12