Quote Originally Posted by ackbar345 View Post
About time for an update:

I ordered a mount plate for my Bosch from K2, the guy said lead time on it was at least a week. It's been 10 business days. Getting antsy.

Also ordered a PSU from Ahren. For some reason I thought this whole time it was an AC power unit, which I have a supply for through work. Oh well, Ahren is fast so I'm expecting that next week.

In preparation for its arrival I cobbled together a computer from a couple of other older computers in the spare parts pile. I used the Live! CD to install the EMC packages. (Only after I used an Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD that I already had to install Ubuntu, only to find out you can't easily install it from a repository. You have to roll the source yourself, also the support is only up to 10.04 for EMC.)

I picked up some pre-made male-to-female DB9 serial cables from the local electronics/wire store. After I bought them I immediately regretted it because I think I just read a thread on here saying I was going to have to move the resistors off of the motor pigtails where Ahren put them to the other end of the wire where it connects to the Gecko G540? Hopefully I can modify these to do the job? If not I do have some 24 gauge hookup wire I can make custom harnesses if necessary.

I still have to cut some threads on some more bolts and disassemble the z-plate assembly to add the bolts and remove the one bolt from the hole that the gantry R&P bushing needs.

I am also trying to narrow down my software requirements in addition to EMC. I would really like to use Google's Sketchup program for my CAD work, it just depends on how I can get their stuff into CAM. The Pro version allows you to export to .DXF and some other formats.

Try this link:Convert Sketchup SKP files to DXF or STL | Download Sketchup plugin

Saves having to pay $495.00 for the Pro Version

Hope this helps.