587,517 active members*
3,647 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

machining of wax

I did a search and found nothing so thought I would ask it here. Does anyone know the correct spindle speed for the maching of mold wax?

turmite
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Its not critical, most likely as fast as your machine will run will be okay. The worst that could happen is you would have a melt down
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Originally posted by HuFlungDung
    Its not critical, most likely as fast as your machine will run will be okay. The worst that could happen is you would have a melt down
    Or a candle.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

yooos guys! I machined some Dymondwood once upon a time and made a slight miscalcuation on my depth of cut. Carbide will make many fine and beautiful sparks if applied to steel at 22,000 rpm. The 10\15 thou. thick shavings began to glow and the moving air of my router motor didn't help it any. I had to put that one out with my hands. Guess what I bought the next day?

leather gloves!!!

Is the wax used for machining the same that is used for jewelry work??

turmite

leather gloves!!!
    Not a fire extinguisher?

'Rekd teh pitches in a couple bucks to buy turmite some safty equipment.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Rekd I just notice where you hail from. Are you gonna run for gov. too??

I really did get a fire ext.

turmite

ps I watched a video last night that showed wax being machined and from the video it looks like they were machining at about 100 ipm for feedrate but I lost count of the rmp at somewhere around 19,034 or somewhere. They get to going over 18,000 and I have a hard time counting above that.

You can machine wax as fast as you want but I usually try to run it at about double the speeds/feeds that I will be running the finished part at. This gives me a better feel for the job itself and it's not going so fast that you can't watch for areas of the program that might need a little tweaking.

As for trying to count the RPM's on your video, put in slow-motion or advance it one frame at a time. By slowing the video down you should easily be able to count up to 30,000 rpms.

As you say mold wax is this going to be used as a proto type for wax investment part.

I do not find a specific speed in the past for cutting wax test.
    Cut at least like Alum and faster if wanted just dont let the tool dell in one area to long to to heat ,other wise you get that "I'm Melting" from the wizeird of Oz.

I asked about the wax type due to the wax used for prot type wax invement is softer the test wax used for testing programs.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

E-Stop and cadcam thanks to both of you for the info. I basically have no experience in metal maching as my business is wood related. I do have a need periodically to have small metal parts made and was wondering if I machined the wax would help keep the cost down on small run since there would be no mold costs.

Would 22,000 melt the wax to where it would remelt and fuse back to itself or the bit?

turmite