587,442 active members*
3,235 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 14 of 16 41213141516
    well the first thing i see is that the Z axis safe travel is only 0.2mm above the work and that isnt anywhere enough if you have home set wrong that will cut lines all over the place

what cutting tip are you useing

point
    ball end (what size)

Not sure what size the tips are but they came with the machine. I am engraving onto vaccuum metalized plastic which is appro 2mm thick. What would you recommend as a starting point for these settings;
    Separation (between letters is set at) 100%,
    Rapid Height:
    Height (of letters is set at) +30.0000
    Z Top:
    Depth of cut:
    I appreciate any help you can give.
    Brian

ok well i dont generate my g-code with mach3

i use Google SketchUp with an addon called SketchUcam draw it up in that and then use the addon to export it to g-code

there are a bunch of youtubes about how to use it

ok well i dont generate my g-code with mach3

i use Google SketchUp with an addon called SketchUcam draw it up in that and then use the addon to export it to g-code

there are a bunch of youtubes about how to use it

Quote Originally Posted by broughanb View Post
    Not sure what size the tips are but they came with the machine. I am engraving onto vaccuum metalized plastic which is appro 2mm thick. What would you recommend as a starting point for these settings;
    Separation (between letters is set at) 100%,
    Rapid Height:
    Height (of letters is set at) +30.0000
    Z Top:
    Depth of cut:
    I appreciate any help you can give.
    Brian
    Just had a look - by god those wizards are awfully designed - how hard would it be to include a brief explanation of each parameter?

You need to put a value in for rapid height. Assuming you've zeroed your Z axis such that it corresponds to the tool touching the surface of the work (otherwise the "Z Top" value would need to be something other than 0) your Rapid Height wants to be a couple of millimetres, say 2 or 3 - this is how far it raises the tool when moving between engraving positions.

I assume you're setting the Depth of Cut appropriately for the material you're using.

Quote Originally Posted by broughanb View Post
    I have a cnc desktop engraver/router unit 3020. I run Mach 3 cnc software. When I try to engrave, the machine puts lines across and under the letters being engraved. I have tried everything to remedy the problem. Does anyone out there have any ideas.Brian in Brisbane.
    I have one of those but it came with no instruction whatsoever not even how to assemble it.
    Did you get instruction for yours?
    Cheers
    Wolffie

I noticed that you are running mach 3. Do you know anybody that support this software in Australia?
    We are trying to get a CNC machine up and running with it.

No, I don't know about Mach3 distributors - mine was supplied by the people that sold me the machine.

Thankyou for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by sbsigns View Post
    I noticed that you are running mach 3. Do you know anybody that support this software in Australia?
    We are trying to get a CNC machine up and running with it.
    if you have a legal copy of it then just email them about the problems you are having and if they have a dealer / support tech here they will tell you where they are

are you Steve Boutin sbsigns USA or stewart Boutin sbsigns au as there are SBSigns in lots of places

if you where in QLD (your not) i would have given you a hand with my limited knowledge if i could have

hmm maby you should have picked a different name lol all of these fly under the name of SBSigns

http://www.sbsigns.com
    http://www.sbsigns.com.au
    http://www.sbsigns.net
    http://www.sebasigns.com
    http://www.sbsignco.com
    http://www.sbsignanddesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Adverse Effects View Post
    if you have a legal copy of it then just email them about the problems you are having and if they have a dealer / support tech here they will tell you where they are

are you Steve Boutin sbsigns USA or stewart Boutin sbsigns au as there are SBSigns in lots of places

if you where in QLD (your not) i would have given you a hand with my limited knowledge if i could have

hmm maby you should have picked a different name lol all of these fly under the name of SBSigns

Santa Barbara Signs & Graphics - Home
    Signs, Reception Signs, Vehicle Signage, Banner Signs, Brookvale | Stewart Brown Signs
    SB Signs - Custom Signage
    Home Page
    Welcome to SB Sign Co.
    Cannot #EXEC file due to lack of EXECUTE permission
    Signs, Reception Signs, Vehicle Signage, Banner Signs, Brookvale | Stewart Brown Signs based in Brookvale NSW Australia

Re: About the Australian and New Zealand forum

Figured I'd wave hello, Cody here from North Sydney. Currently building a 650x1300 router.

A few more details in this thread, can anyone help me out with where best to source steppers? - Best place to get Steppers(AUS)? | CNC Router Zone-For professional and hobbyist alike!

Cody,
    I don't know, but I got my machine built by Justin at Vermec Engineering here in Redcliffe. He makes quite a few, and has a good rep - sources good value but good quality stuff - not sure if he sells parts but worth trying them: Vermec 07 3284 3733
    Andrew

Hi Cody

Got mine from china, the big ones, longs motors. The whole setup has been great, motors, controllers, breakout board and power supplies. Mine are the largest ones they make, about 5 kg each. Price was good, a week to arrive. Check ebay.
    I found the local suppliers here in nz were adding 200% margin! too expensive. Also they will give you a low customs vale, saving even more $$

Never had issues with them, run like a charm on my mill

Shaune

Quote Originally Posted by Shaune View Post
    Hi Cody

Got mine from china, the big ones, longs motors. The whole setup has been great, motors, controllers, breakout board and power supplies. Mine are the largest ones they make, about 5 kg each. Price was good, a week to arrive. Check ebay.
    I found the local suppliers here in nz were adding 200% margin! too expensive. Also they will give you a low customs vale, saving even more $$

Never had issues with them, run like a charm on my mill

Shaune
    Thanks mate, good to know

What freaking language do you guys speak on these forums? Nano jingling?

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFill View Post
    What freaking language do you guys speak on these forums? Nano jingling?
    Aussie why? u an import :-) just like everything else in Oz

Enroute user here...and happy with it. Very old retrofitted Esab, converted to Tekcel about 15 years ago.

(Though on rare occasions I've wondered about gutting the machine and putting Geckos and Mach3 in, but generally I've got around the issues, and we plod along. You learn to nurture the machine like an elderly relative!
    )

Quote Originally Posted by Stewey View Post
    You learn to nurture the machine like an elderly relative!
    LOL isnt that the truth

Page 14 of 16 41213141516