587,837 active members*
3,751 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Open Source CNC Machine Designs > Looking for people wanting to develop new plans for a cheap cnc
Page 3 of 16 1234513
    I made a complete set of plans when I built my router. It includes every part and assembly drawings, all fully dimensioned. I was thinking of selling them, but I did not want to have to deal with the service side of that (emails etc.). I have kept them pretty much up to date as I have made changes/tweaks. I am more than willing to donate them to the cause if you like. This is what it looks like:

jgro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc_assy01_rendering8.gif  

Awesome jgro,
    how many more images like that do you have?
    what are the dimensions?
    are those linear bearings or roller blade bearings?
    how much did it cost you to build?

...THIS IS A REQUEST TO ALL ACTIVE CONTRIBUTORS IN THIS PROJECT...

how does this machine look to make the plans for?
    looks MDF, pretty cheap, all the materials look somewhat common.

...A REQUEST TO ALL DIY CNC ROUTER BUILDERS WHO ARE READING...

To help in the quest to find the best machine to make a set of plans/instructions for, please see HIGHSEAS questionairre:
    http://www.cnczone.com/modules.php?s...icles&secid=10

Thanks for all the help, lets keep this thread up, even though there will undoubtedly be some difficulties

-Tei
    -Please check out my webiste-
    http://www.teilhardo.com

With highseas' data, we can figure out the best tactic to take so that we can come up with an effective set of plans

Jgro, awsome machine! What kind of tooling did you use to make it? This may get back to some of the earlier points. Personally I think Jgro's machine is what I would call a midrange machine, something I think their should be downloadable plans of. I'd like to think there is a simpler way to go for the person just starting with limited tooling. But again, I see nothing but good comming up with a dozen different set of plans, from cheap and dirty to precise and higher cost.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Yeah, this would fit the $$ category. But it will also be effective cutting aluminum and not limited to wood cutting

All good ideas, but where do we start?

There have been some very good ideas posted and quite obviously an overwhelming interest in this subject. So the question is - Where to begin?

I vote for perhaps someone or or a group of people starting on design on a cheap mdf starter system with a very strong emphasis on this being a tutorial as to the hows and why things work. Perhaps a 18 x 24 cutting area max.

After that project is done, or perhaps even simultaneously, another project that is a bit more involved (read $) could also be developed. This machine could be stout enough to route wood and aluminum. Perhaps a machine designed to cut 30 x 48 or so with a design that is easily scalable to 48 x 96 or so. These plans would simply point out areas to consider in order to enlarge the machine properly and still have good performance.

Last but not least, some may be interested in how to add a forth or even 5th axis to a more involved machine.

Any thoughts?

I concur with Hack, how about if we start several threads each going down different paths. Then people can contribute to more than one thread design, or just the thread they are most interested in. One being as Hack suggested, maybe name the thread "K.I.S.S. MDF Open Design Router Plans"? (KISS principle for those who don't know - Keep It Simple Stupid) Objective, develop an entry level design DIY router, utilizing off the shelf parts as much as possible, limited tooling, low cost. Plans made available here at the Zone. Smallish footprint, accurate enough to be satified cutting wood parts. Detail plans, assembly plans, part lists and instructions. I'd concur with Hack on the footprint as a goal, but flexible if parts dictate a little larger or smaller. It would be nice if there could be subforums to an "Open Source Development" forum.

Phil
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Re: Ideas for these plans

Originally posted by Hack
    I think in my mind that since this is going to be a group effort, that perhaps no one should really profit from the design work, and that maybe these plans don't need to be in print so to speak but hosted on CNC Zone. If we could get some input from CNC Admin that would be great. If we could provide these for a small fee downloadable in say PDF format or something with the proceeds going to the site to help cover bandwith, storage space etc.

Any other thoughts?

Dan

Anything you guys want, let me know.

I have added a new download section- http://www.cnczone.com/modules.php?s...ownload&cid=15

All uploads will be reviewed before making public.

Ok...finally have internet access again! Yeah! I have a machine that I built using drawer slides for about $50. I have not run it yet. Have not even wired it yet! I love the build too much and am working on too many other projects at the same time. Will post some photos when I can.

Here you go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rout1.jpg  
    Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Looks good, does it have a lot of play?

If you are going to put together a set of plans to give away, it is not really fair to use johns roller blade setup. He came up with the idea and got it functional, and he sells the plans that go wih it. Legally, you could probably do it since the idea has spread across the internet, but it is not really fair to him.

As an alternative, you could use chrome plated carbon steel rod. This is available at most metal suppliers, and is available in any country in the world. It is what they use for pushrods in hydralic cylinders. I bought a whole bunch of it real cheap, but the regular price is only $2 per foot (for 1 1/4). It is much stronger than gas pipe (I used it on my latest machine which is made of cast aluminum and cast iron and I regularly cut steel with my machine). You can make delrin bearings for it, use bronze bearings, or just bore a precision hole and slide it steel on steel since the chrome plated rod is exceptionally smooth and has much tighter tolerances overall than gas pipe or rollerblade bearings.

Stronger, cheaper ($2 per foot, but still cheaper than roller blade bearings and gas pipe. even if you get precision bronze bearings, they only cost about a quarter each) and available anywhere int he world. Hard to beat, IMHO.

Oh, and as far as I know, this an original idea by me, and I don't care who uses it or what they use it for.

Nono Guest
    I started a thread Where to start. What should be first?
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...&threadid=3756

I agree that eveyone has something to contribute. there should be several machine sizes one for the guy with a large work area and one for the rest of us. We should start with a universal assembly list like components that make up such machine.. The size of the parts isn't important (eg length of rails) at first, that will develop as the machine does

Originally posted by gjahnke
    If you are going to put together a set of plans to give away, it is not really fair to use johns roller blade setup. He came up with the idea and got it functional, and he sells the plans that go wih it. Legally, you could probably do it since the idea has spread across the INTERNET, but it is not really fair to him.

As far as I know, anything is fair game, unless it's a patented idea you can use any ones idea to build a machine. Roller blade set-up is not a patented idea, as long as no one takes someone else plans and and post them that it's not illegal to use bits and parts of other peoples ideas.

Just do not post plans that clearly belong to someone elsa, or that you paid form someone that sells them for personal use only.

Nono Guest
    http://www.comtrol.com/products/cata...roduct=rp_upci

I think this is a cheap controller card up to 16 axis can find them on ebay
    Anybody know anything about them?

Contriler cards Thats somthing we need to look at as well.
    Me personaly i'm not buying a controler card there to easy to make...

We should maby include plans for one with the design and also offer links to other's

And For the ugly duckling idea. (why not ake multi grade plans) Example one table design that can use everything from threded rod to acme lead screws. Drwar slides to nilon frictionles berrings./

All in one plan so as some one gets the cash or need to improve there design they dont have to build a whole nother unit.

Wink Re: Ideas for these plans

[i] If we could get some input from CNC Admin that would be great. If we could provide these for a small fee downloadable in say PDF format or something with the proceeds going to the site to help cover bandwith, storage space etc.

Any other thoughts?

Dan [/B]
    I like this Too.
    2 wrongs don't make a right
    But 2 Wrights makes a Airplane
    Kevin Matney
    www.Matneymodels.com
    734 - 848 - 8195
    "IN GOD WE 'TRUST "
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

here is a link to some inexpensive Linear bearing that my be of some use in the project.
    http://www.buildyouridea.com/cnc/hbl...e8/phase8.html
    there is other information in his site that may be of use.

Patirck
    "Never give Up, Never!"

I'm a newbie at CNC, I was a software systems architect (up to June 2002), but quit to start a woodworking businesss (guitars, dulcimers, clocks, whatever).......

I want to build a CNC Router to be my extra hands, since I have no employees (and can't afford any).

My questions are things I think anyone starting out asks. I have read a portion (small) of the threads here on DIY Routers as well as other web sites. One thing I haven't seen yet (although it may be here somewhere) is, "what can handle what? as far as size/material goes.

I think I could build a router (after the last week or so of research) that handles a dremel pro, but what about a 1 3/4 HP porter cable? Do I need 1.5" glide rods if the X axis is 48" and only supported on the ends?

I know the engineering data on manufactuers web sites probably give the whip, vibe, crush, etc...statistics but.......I'm looking at too much, too soon to be checking stats on every web site (and may not be qualified to determine it from their data/formua).

To my point, don't forget stuff like this in your deliverables (plans, etc)...

BTW, I have bought thomson rails with continous support and OPN bearing pillowblocks on ebay just because I got tired of trying to determine if I could do with less after searching, and searching...I have seen threads that mention the use of drill rod and skate bearings, but what's the accuracy, stability, repeatability, etc...

Oh, and I too have a 3D modeler (Rhino 3D v2.0) and can use it pretty well (I use it for my woodworking plans) so, if anyone needs any 3D, I'm willing to help (it seems several others can help with that also from the 1st page of this thread).

This sounds cool, please, just make it happen
    Clyde (Stork)

Paul...it does heave some play, but not enough to where I think it will be noticable in wood or foam. I never intended to take on NASA contracts or anything! I might be able to find the time to wire up the controller, and check it out. Hot rods are melting my brain lately though!

gjahnke...Cranky claims to be the inventer of the bearing design, but his arrogance (in my experience with him, and IMHO) carries it a bit far. I will give him the claim to the gas pipe idea. That is a very slick low buck, thread together idea. Personally, I would rather use solid rod. 3/4" zink plated rod is generally the same price as the gas pipe, in the same hardware stores! I really like your suggestion of chrome shafting, and wish more people could see the low buck advantages inherent in such a system. Would like to see some photos of your uses.

I personally think that there are no exclusively origional ideas, only applications. As I have found out many times; not only with this stuff but with everything; when I have a cool new idea, I find out months after I have started experimenting with it that many other people have thought the same thing! It just takes someone who isn''t afraid of trial and error to make it work. Cranky seems to be good at this as well, and I applaud him for that. (I just always hate it when someone says "I invented this, and that" when really they should say, " I was the first to apply my ideas to tangible reality")

Sorry guys, late night ranting!
    Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

Page 3 of 16 1234513