587,651 active members*
3,611 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 9 of 40 789101119
    Okay.. New issue.. Vacuum system...

Thinking of building my own DIY dust buddy... I have a couple decent 2.5" shop vacs to use with it...

Here's what I'm pondering...

Using another 1.25" ID (or 1.5") piece of seal tite attached to the Y > Z carriage going to the other side... Basically a 'mirror' of the one I have for cables... From the Y>Z carriage to the dust shoe I would use a piece of 1.5 inch standard vacuum hose, preferably clear.. From the vacuum end of the seal tite (at the gantry support), I would either use a 1.5" standard vacuum hose to the Dust deputy, or adapt the seal tite up to standard 2.5" vac hose and take that to the dust deputy ....

My question for those of you who are in the know, is that I'm thinking that the 10' of reduced size vac hose going to the Y>Z carriage and to the dust boot, will 'increase' air velocity but reduce total airflow...

The shop vac I'm thinking of using is a 5hp genie... Will the reduction in hose size be a problem? Will I still have adequate vacuum if I make a dust boot that hangs off of the Y>Z carriage and stays down at the work piece instead of moving up and down with the router?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaincraft View Post
    Okay.. New issue.. Vacuum system...

Thinking of building my own DIY dust buddy... I have a couple decent 2.5" shop vacs to use with it...

Here's what I'm pondering...

Using another 1.25" ID (or 1.5") piece of seal tite attached to the Y > Z carriage going to the other side... Basically a 'mirror' of the one I have for cables... From the Y>Z carriage to the dust shoe I would use a piece of 1.5 inch standard vacuum hose, preferably clear.. From the vacuum end of the seal tite (at the gantry support), I would either use a 1.5" standard vacuum hose to the Dust deputy, or adapt the seal tite up to standard 2.5" vac hose and take that to the dust deputy ....

My question for those of you who are in the know, is that I'm thinking that the 10' of reduced size vac hose going to the Y>Z carriage and to the dust boot, will 'increase' air velocity but reduce total airflow...

The shop vac I'm thinking of using is a 5hp genie... Will the reduction in hose size be a problem? Will I still have adequate vacuum if I make a dust boot that hangs off of the Y>Z carriage and stays down at the work piece instead of moving up and down with the router?
    I don't know how much your vacuum will like pulling though that much reduced hose. Maybe if you used 1-1/2" ABS to the top of your Z carriage and then use an adapter to the larger hose to your Dust Deputy?

As for the dust shoe, my preference is obviously the stationary shoe, but if you do more deep relief carvings, or moldings, or raised panels, the miving brush might be a better option. Or maybe you can make two shoes and swap them out as the need arises. I will say this: If your vacuum is not powerful enough you WILL have problems with the moving brush shoe, because it may not overcome the force of the router fan blowing into the shoe. CR Onsrud uses a brush that moves up and down, but independent of the z carriage, but even with an industrial duty dust collector you still see some dust escape (profiling 3/4" ply at 2800ipm with a 4-flute compression spiral endmill might do that!)

Ordered what I hope is a plenty big heat sink today (7" x 5" x 1.75"h) for the four G203v drivers...

Heatsink paste? How much do I need? Or do I want to use another method to attach them to the heatsink?

Is something like this enough for all 4 drivers? Each pack has 0.5g each..

Bulk 25 Stars Heatsink Compound Thermal Paste Fix Xbox

Playing with Cut 2D demo...

In most apps with vector drawing tools, there is a way to 'snap' to align to another point or line while dragging a point (node in cut 2D)... I can't seem to find this ability in Cut 2D.. Does it exist?

If so, how is it done?

Just ordered the gecko drives.... Getting close now....

In most apps with vector drawing tools, there is a way to 'snap' to align to another point or line while dragging a point (node in cut 2D)... I can't seem to find this ability in Cut 2D.. Does it exist?

If so, how is it done?
    I believe so... though admittedly, I'm not sure, since I started out using CorelDRAW and CasMATE 5.5 for all my 2D stuff, But I believe if you hold "SHIFT" as you move an object you'll constrain it along one of the other axes. I believe you can set up guidelines and snap to theml though I don't remember....

12 vdc power supply

I need to find an affordable 12v DC power Supply.. I was gonna get a DIN rail mounted one, but it's $136.. Ummm.. No

I'd rather not get a wall wart, but am not opposed to an in line one.. I need it to be able to supply 3A or more... something that can be 'mounted' to the control box backboard...

Looking for an ideal solution.. to be mounted inside of the control box, to power fans, relays, and An LED light ring...

On a related note, The Super-PID web site says that that thing requires a 5VDC supply.. What are most people using for that? Looking for an elegant yet inexpensive solution...

Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark .. given your "Grid" supply variations you mentioned, how about a little gel-cell (motorcycle size) and a little solid state 2-4-6 charger .. 30 shillings at wallyworld. That way, whatever you have on 12 volts, wont die when the power goes down. I live in the woods too, but my UPS is 16kw at 48vdc of Rolls 530's feeding a 5,500 watt inverter. I am toying with the idea of running a couple lines between buildings .. and just suck off 48vdc for the steppers .. pretty tripee idea. While you are not on solar, you could make a UPS for stepper power with four 12volt batteries in series. And when your truck won't start in the middle of January, you always have some charged batteries handy. Now .. who makes a 48v router ... lol

Meanwell makes a couple inexpensive 12v supplies (less than 30 bucks) that I am leaning towards.. But for the short term, I'll probably just take the suggestion to use the CPU power supply..

Really, right now, the only thing I 'need' to power are the Drivers cooling fans.. I might be able to find a wall wart laying around that went with an obsolete piece of equipment that I can steal...

But eventually, once I start using a bunch of relays and what not, I'll need something more elegant like the meanwells...

That being said, UPS (not only for the CNC table but for the entire property) is 'on the list'... solar too.. especially as scary as the economy is getting and the rising fuel prices...

Started building a 'victory garden' today... need to get solar at least on the well pump and the fridges... just in case things get 'crazy'.. if you know what I mean...

My hope is that I can use this table to start earning some money 'at home'.. I don't need to burn any gas to get to the shop.. Just a free hand for a cup of joe...
    :cheers:

If so, how is it done?

Try holding the cursor close to the endpoint until it turns into a box with crosshairs, then click. Never used Cut2D, but it works in V Carve Pro and Aspire.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for your insight, and some anecdotal stuff

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    I can say, now I know why they call a license a 'seat,' because you definitely need to sit down to hear the prices!
    (snip)
    OK, off the soapbox now!

My package is XR4 Mill 3D Expert, which is the highest 3D mill package they have available... Next experiment: using high speed machining on woods and plastics...
    Thanks for the rant .. very informative, for those of us readers considering delving into the realm of high end software. SurfCAM is not a problem, for an 80 man shop .. just overhead. Most guys doing homebuilts with skateboard bearings on EMT using MDF construction .. may find it interesting too, but not within their reach .. or needs.

Some years back, NIST was giving away software for their Hexapod .. taxpayer dollars at work. If you were Linux literate (I'm not) and do compiling (I don't) .. you could roll your own, so to speak. For the carving stuff, 3-d software isn't optional, but being from the old school, a guy should learn the basics of programing, and that's free these days. If the software screws up, you are flocked untill you find and fix the problem.

I worked at a high-end shop .. santa clara .. in the early 80's. They hired a guy to do nothng but programing .. bought the "Seats" .. all that. Bright young fellow .. even had B.S. .. in Forestry. Never cranked a Bridgeport in his life. I was working the manuals at the time .. TG .. and every few hours, something would go POP over in one of the cnc lines. You can do alot of damage on a VMC 75 in no time flat .. LOL. We had nine guys on manuals .. we would just glance to one another and chuckle .. there he goes again ... hehehe.

So for the new guys to this stuff, enjoy the challenges of learning some of the basics, cause I can tell you, they will serve you well, when the shiest hits the fan. And in todays job market, being able to take a drawing and walk up to an old Bandit .. or Mats 500 .. Mitsu Laser .. whatever .. and punch in a program .. may make you the more attractive candidate for good manufacturing jobs that harder to come by these days.

If you boss buys you a $10,000 seat, and you make things go POP .. not a good thing .. hehehe. Have Fun ... Be Safe .. and thanks again, for your insight into the high-end software marketplace ... come a long ways since the ole BobCad days I guese.

Quote Originally Posted by jyotti View Post
    Thanks for the rant .. very informative, for those of us readers considering delving into the realm of high end software. SurfCAM is not a problem, for an 80 man shop .. just overhead. Most guys doing homebuilts with skateboard bearings on EMT using MDF construction .. may find it interesting too, but not within their reach .. or needs.

Some years back, NIST was giving away software for their Hexapod .. taxpayer dollars at work. If you were Linux literate (I'm not) and do compiling (I don't) .. you could roll your own, so to speak. For the carving stuff, 3-d software isn't optional, but being from the old school, a guy should learn the basics of programing, and that's free these days. If the software screws up, you are flocked untill you find and fix the problem.

I worked at a high-end shop .. santa clara .. in the early 80's. They hired a guy to do nothng but programing .. bought the "Seats" .. all that. Bright young fellow .. even had B.S. .. in Forestry. Never cranked a Bridgeport in his life. I was working the manuals at the time .. TG .. and every few hours, something would go POP over in one of the cnc lines. You can do alot of damage on a VMC 75 in no time flat .. LOL. We had nine guys on manuals .. we would just glance to one another and chuckle .. there he goes again ... hehehe.

So for the new guys to this stuff, enjoy the challenges of learning some of the basics, cause I can tell you, they will serve you well, when the shiest hits the fan. And in todays job market, being able to take a drawing and walk up to an old Bandit .. or Mats 500 .. Mitsu Laser .. whatever .. and punch in a program .. may make you the more attractive candidate for good manufacturing jobs that harder to come by these days.

If you boss buys you a $10,000 seat, and you make things go POP .. not a good thing .. hehehe. Have Fun ... Be Safe .. and thanks again, for your insight into the high-end software marketplace ... come a long ways since the ole BobCad days I guese.
    Welcome... I don't know if you also read my BobCAD/CAM rant?

Mountaincraft, I had a 400w power supply in one system, that I souped up with 5 neon strips and about 8 case fans, all daisy-chained to a single hard drive header, so I don't think you need to worry about it. In fact, if you run the wire from a spare fan header on the motherboard (most of them have one) you could conceivavbly control the fan speed from a windows based cpu utility... I think you could conceivably run a thermal sensor from the motherboard to the geckos as well, but don't quote me on that!

If power is a concern it might be cheaper to upgrade your computer power supply to 700w, then you have ALL the power you need - courtesy of yoru electric company of course...

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Try holding the cursor close to the endpoint until it turns into a box with crosshairs, then click. Never used Cut2D, but it works in V Carve Pro and Aspire.
    I'm not quite understanding.. Are you talking about how to select and move a point?

What I'm talking about is after you select and start to move the point (node), as you move close to the perpendicular of another point or line (or in-line with instead of perpendicular to), or close to a 45 degree angle from another point or line, the point (node) you are dragging will be 'pulled or snapped' to that perfect perpendicular (horizontal or vertical)...

If you've ever played with adobe illustrator or After effects or the like, this is a feature you can 'turn on'.. The 3D apps I use also have this feature... It's primarily a vector drawing tool...

Also in these apps, as well as most I've played with, you have other ways of accurately placing a point.. You can double click on it and enter it's coordinates (or by selecting it and entering the coordinates in a side tab), or you can select it, and use the arrow keys to nudge the point in whatever direction you want, in set inmcrements...

So far, I've been unable to find any tool in Cut 2D that allows me to 'accurately' place a point or line.. I can't snap to, and I can't enter the coordinates and place a point where I want it that way..

This seems strange, as with the purposed use of this product, accuracy is everything.. So I'm thinking that the ability 'has' to be there, but I just haven't found it...

Otherwise, the drawing tools in Cut 2D become largely useless, and everything has to be created in another app..

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...Pro-Aspire.pdf

According to this, Cut2D does not offer any snaps or guides. Looks like you'll need to use something else to do your drawing and then import in or go up to VCarve Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by RossMosh View Post
    http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...Pro-Aspire.pdf

According to this, Cut2D does not offer any snaps or guides. Looks like you'll need to use something else to do your drawing and then import in or go up to VCarve Pro.
    Okay, cool.. Thanks, I can stop looking.. I'll have to try out the V Carve Pro demo then, and see if I am happy with it's drawing tools.. If not, then I know that it's not the upgrade path I want, and will have to look at other software companies/paths..

Thanks for pointing me to the answer,
    Mark
    :cheers:

Opened up the V Carve Pro demo and played for a few minutes.. It has a lot of features I'll need such as booleans, ability to wrap text along curves and what not...

But still no way to manually enter the location I want to move a point to that I can see... I think I'll have to e-mail them and ask...

Awe man.. I hate this.. I've figured out how to place a node accurately in both Cut 2D and V Carve Pro.. Just right click on the node in node edit mode, and then select 'properties'...

I figured this out while playing with the ArtCam demo..

But now I've realized that ArtCam is a much more feature packed app than Cut 2D.. for the same entry price... Problem is, that it has a much more expensive upgrade path... (modules)..

Playing with ArtCam for even a couple minutes has me very interested.. but the upgrade path to V Carve Pro from Cut 2D is also very attractive...

What to do, what to do....

I guess for starters, I gotta get real intimate will all three demos... as well as the modules for ArtCam

Awe man.. I hate this.. I've figured out how to place a node accurately in both Cut 2D and V Carve Pro.. Just right click on the node in node edit mode, and then select 'properties'...

I figured this out while playing with the ArtCam demo..

But now I've realized that ArtCam is a much more feature packed app than Cut 2D.. for the same entry price... Problem is, that it has a much more expensive upgrade path... (modules)..

Playing with ArtCam for even a couple minutes has me very interested.. but the upgrade path to V Carve Pro from Cut 2D is also very attractive...

What to do, what to do....

I guess for starters, I gotta get real intimate will all three demos... as well as the modules for ArtCam
    Remember though, the upgrade path the Aspire, having both VCarve Pro AND Cut2D... so might have to compare Aspire to ArtCAM Pro...

Aspire is not that cheap either.. and unfortunately, they don't list the price of ArtCam Pro... but it 'has' to be cheaper than buying it module by module which totals over $3K...

Although piece by piece is an 'easier' way to buy things considering my current financials.. But who knows.. the hope is that this venture will help to change all that...

The key to surviving where I'm at is 'diversity' of income sources.. and that fact of life is seriously amplified in this economy...

That being said, ArtCam feels a little more intuitive at first glance.. But I'll have to get into them both.. especially the end game products to see if that holds true throughout the whole process...

Need some help finding a product...

Looking for 1 1/2" smurf tube.. All I can find it on line so far is for 750' rolls.. I only need about 15-20'...

I bought some 1 1/2 seal tite that I was going to use for the X axis cable carrier, but it's a little too stiff.. I'll use it for the vacuum to the router I guess..

So I want to try the smurf tube.. Short of that, I'll have to use more 1 1/4 inch seal tite, or make or buy some energy chain.. Which came back at a quote of around $170 plus shipping for all three axis...

It'll start getting a little crowded with the 1 1/4" seal tite on the X axis, but I can probably make it work if I have to...

Aspire is not that cheap either.. and unfortunately, they don't list the price of ArtCam Pro... but it 'has' to be cheaper than buying it module by module which totals over $3K...

Although piece by piece is an 'easier' way to buy things considering my current financials.. But who knows.. the hope is that this venture will help to change all that...

The key to surviving where I'm at is 'diversity' of income sources.. and that fact of life is seriously amplified in this economy...

That being said, ArtCam feels a little more intuitive at first glance.. But I'll have to get into them both.. especially the end game products to see if that holds true throughout the whole process...
    Aspire is not expensive considering what you get. You could getCut2D, and upgrade to VCarve Pro as your needs fit, it's like buying 4 or 5 ArtCAM modules. The upgrade to Aspire from VCarve I believe is $1450, so you could just bite the bullet when the need arises, and you'd probably have almost everything that ArtCAM could do if you had all the modules. Of course if all you truly needed were two or three modules then maybe ArtCAM is the way to go, but they have some moduoles that cost almost as much as VCarve Pro!

As for the e-chain, look for eBay seller Yuntat, he was selling 3 28" lengths for $99 with free shipping... Even I had to break down...

Page 9 of 40 789101119