588,665 active members*
5,743 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 5 1234
    Thanks for the kind words Dave, much appreciated.
    I tend to think the same, I don't mind making a lot of tooling myself but, also spend money when it's hard to justify the time and effort.
    Feel free to contact me any time, I'll be glad to discuss trade terms.
    Cheers.
    Mick.

Home Page

Got a little more done on the frame
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0863.jpg   IMAG0861.jpg   IMAG0866.jpg  

Dave, we have a setup from Mick on a K2 slide and it works really well. We do oxy too, so I added a few blocks and mag plates. takes 1.5secs to swap torches. It is really handy too when you hit pause in mach3 and grab the torch and brush the shield or even inspect an electrode. pop it back on and hit run. You can even kinda throw it at the mount and the mags and centering stubs grab it, that works if it is way out in the middle of the table.

The only dowside I have found with the breakawy is when it does whack something it generally goes to the bottom of the water tray and hisses. If you are not close by or did not hear it drop and the postflow stops, water goes right into all the wrong places. A short cable would fix it but would lose the ability to bring the torch out away from the slide to service it or tuck it out of the way during a swap.

I have been having problems with the torch z not responding to the switch being closed and not stopping, the breakaway has paid for itself with just a few of those.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Hey Tom.....One of the reasons I don't like water tables.....
    Only kidding mate.
    Did you see the vid posted on my website??
    One customer has fitted a rudimentary cut out switch, looks to work quite well although, a bit slow to stop the machine I thought.

Mick.

www.snapncut.com

Mick,

I don't like cleaning water tables LOL. I just scraped 1800lbs of yuck out of mine.

One nice feature with the CandCnc/mach screen set, is it shuts off as soon as it senses the arc loss or user setable "out of bounds" volts. Shuts off quick, just hope you homed and set ref point! I have two leads going in that I put in just incase a limit switch was needed.

I didn't see the video, I'll take cruise over there and drop you an email to see about another torch holder, we are dedicating a oxy torch for beveling and another for preheating/annealing. So we will be up to three or four mounts. Soon I will add Zb axis and need yet another mag mount. I built one (torch holder) for the oxy torch myself, but yours is better and a whole lot less work.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Sounds good mate.....just not the cleaning part is all.
    I've got a universal model on the market now so, should make mounting a lot easier than last time.
    Look forward to hearing from you.

Mick.

Home Page

Got back to work on table. Added a bottom drawer this time.Working on finishing up water tray. Added a pic of a fold down seat for a trailer that was cut out on the plasma table. The side hinge parts are made out of 3/8 steel. The pockets came out very nice.Cant beat candcnc electronics and a powermax 85.
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0895.jpg   IMAG0896.jpg   IMAG0897.jpg   IMAG0898.jpg  

IMAG0899.jpg   IMAG0890.jpg  

Moving along nicely! Every bit the quality we have come to know from your shop.

That seat looks way too comfortable, in either the sitting or laying position. Great detail.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Thanks WSS .Just a couple more pics. got the slat holders done. Got a few more holes for wires to finish and the rest of the side panels and then off to powder-coat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0921.jpg   IMAG0922.jpg   IMAG0923.jpg   IMAG0924.jpg  

IMAG0925.jpg   IMAG0930.jpg  

Nice progress Dave.
    I'm interested to know whether you run the slats straight across the table or utilize a center divider and curve them?
    I only ask because I developed a grate system for Plasmacam and Samson tables a few years ago and curve them, to prevent following the slats when cutting straight lines.
    I actually supply plans for my grates with all Snap 'n Cut breakaway sales to owners of those tables.

Mick.
    Home Page

Mick
    I was going to use a center divider but went with curved slats.This is a pic of my current design. I also cut out some letters for a mailbox. They were cut from 3/8 alum
    DN
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0339.jpg   IMAG0908.jpg   IMAG0909.jpg  

Good setup.....I take it you get no downward deflection with heavier plate?
    Terrible cuts on the aluminium......I joke of course......:cheers:

Mick
    Home Page

Mick
    The slats sit on 2 inches of flat before the water tray tapers down to the center
    I have had 3/4 plate on my work table before with no problems.

Dave,
    I noticed on your machines that you have screwed the rack to a separate piece of tubing. Is that 1 1/2" ? Is there any reason why you didn't use a 4" piece of tubing to mount both the linear rail and the rack too? Or, does the gear rack set in a little?
    Thanks for any information. I really like your design.
    Travis

Sorry for the lack of progress updates. haven't had time to work on fun projects lately. Travis, the rack is mounted to a piece of 1 inch angle iron. You could use 4 inch tubing and mount both the rack and linear rail. I had alot of 3x3 hanging around when i built the first table so that's what i used. Now i just want them all to be the same. Hope to get back on this table soon.
    Dave

Dave, thanks for the info. I look forward to more updates.
    Travis

Any progress Dave?

Rack & pinion size

Hi Dave

I have been following all of your builds and I am finally ready to start my own. Just wanting to know what size rack & pinion you used, Rack width & height and how many tooth pinion gear. Also which Z axis floating head did you use.

Cheers Glenn

please post dxf files

Dave,
    Any chance you could post up your design files? This is the table i've been looking for.

Randy

found the rack and pinion.
    rack 5174t21
    pinion 5172t12
    Mcmaster .com

Page 2 of 5 1234