588,578 active members*
12,214 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 8 of 12 678910

Re: MORE HP for PCNC

Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    As my inspection manager would say "thats funny" because we make those for him in our shop when i was there, we made a batch just a few months ago, they are tiny and the pull stud is machined solid as part of the taper, their size and the wear of a pull stud kind of turned me away from that as a consideration along with their proprietary shape!
    haha. small world.

Good to hear the perspective of someone who has seen them. Still seems like it would be a better solution than the 3/4" TTS shank, but I got plenty of those now, so would not make the switch.

Seems like a replaceable pull stud would be easier to manufacture and make the endmill holder last longer.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

John, I may have to eat crow here. Your right about the increased frequency affecting torque output. Although if that was a 480v motor and you feed it 230v at twice the frequency, it would have opposite effect.

Epoxy granite as a stiffening medium. Rebar, well something of that sort would work if it was attached somehow to the casting.
    But all truth be known, oil impregnated(wetted) sand, will absorb all the vibes you can throw at it. That's why we suggested it. Go home depot pick up some sand and Mix in some motor oil. Fill column cavity. Same for empty spaces in the head .

So enough talk, we need pictures and videos.
    With the increase in potential here, maybe servo motors for the axis would be justified.

Constructive criticism is always a good thing. It makes you double check everything and usually when your right it opens the path to innovation.
    Keep on trucking John.

Right on dudes!

My motor is 5hp at 2750 rpm 60 Hz

What I didn't realize when we were inspecting them was that they were designed to fit the R8 taper! That was kind of cool to find out in the video. Made me do a double take. We only made solid shank holders, I didn't see any ER types go through there. They also didn't have any drive dogs on them, It would be nice not to have to have them for the BT30's for the future ATC simplicity.

my new computer box came today, got mach loaded and the machine is running again, I was finally able to diagnose the old box, had some bad sticks of memory, so now I have a back up XP box, that's good, cool thing is the new box has WIN7 so the networking was a breeze.

Back to the HP mod.
    I have to replace the spindle bearings first as they are screaming loud. Tripped the circuit at 5000 rpm extended use, too much friction. Then a small job. Once that is out of the way I can pull the motor base plate and measure the hold down holes for the new design.

So in a few weeks I will be making the new parts. pulling wire, etc. I'm considering mounting the VFD outside of the enclosure due to its size. Still thinking that one over. Going to have to source a larger coolant pump to flush all those extra chips per second out of the pockets.

Stay tuned.

jh

R8, "CAT-R8", and ISO/BT-30 all have the same taper angle, and the same large-end taper diameter.

A 3-phase motor driven by a VFD will have, approximately, constant torque below motor base speed, and constant power above motor base speed. Which means that above base speed, torque falls off linearly with RPM. i.e. - an 1725 RPM base speed motor will half as much torque at 3450 RPM as it does at 1725 RPM.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    R8, "CAT-R8", and ISO/BT-30 all have the same taper angle, ...
    Regards,
    Ray L.
    Incorrect,
    R8 = 16 degrees 51 minutes.
    CAT, BT, NMTB = 16 degrees 35 minutes 40 seconds
    while the difference may seem small, placing a 30 taper tool in an R8 spindle the difference is definitely noticeable as it will not seat correctly.
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink..........
    Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance.- Plato

that's a good catch, thanks! So the mini fadel stuff is custom to R8 then.

jh

Interesting. Dave calls it "CAT-R8", I guess that is a bit of an oxymoron (16.5943° vs 16.85°). His "CAT-R8" is definitely matching the R8 taper.

I guess he call it that because it looks "CAT like" but has the taper of an R8. Chosen to fit in existing R-8 machinery to make it an easy retrofit, but provide a more secure method to hold endmills.

Too bad Dave is more interested in messing around than marketing some serious tooling to home machinists, because he has some clever ideas. But he has more than earned his right to be retired, and can afford to stay retired. It seems like the Fadec partnership didn't really last.
    Tim

so my data plate has been obliterated by 9 years of coolant and chips so I had to call Tormach, I have machine #24

Sounds like a lucky number to me LOL! It's time to give that Baby some well deserved loving with MO POWER!

Yeah Baby! Yeah!

working on it. what a mess. Funny things is I had to measure the tapped holes for my new base plate and none of these are on a similar spread x or y. these early ones must have been drilled by hand in a Chinese garage!

Attachment 278076 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150421_160217.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	278078

Transfer screws might help locate the holes in the plate:

Transfer Screw Set, M6 Thread 3085 - LittleMachineShop.com

Mike

Thanks Mike, good idea.

They are 10mm. got them measured with straight edges, calipers and some math. My concern is if these are the same dimensions on everyone's machines or not. would be hard to offer this as an upgrade without confirming. What is interesting is that the matching through holes in the plate are on the same centers so perhaps it was intentional, odd though, no justification for it, it's not like someone could assemble the plate backwards!

jh

Ok, for those who are following this thread, progress is benign made.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150522_182014.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	281216

Oh, another note.
    Stripped the motor base and the spindle head of its paint and found scribe marks wherever there was a hole. So some Chinese guy laid the holes out with a scale and drilled them all by a drill press most likely! No wonder they didn't match nor were symmetrical. Yikes! I hope that isn't the case for the series II and III machines. Makes trying to offer upgrade kits tough.

jh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150522_182014.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    No wonder they didn't match nor were symmetrical. Yikes! I hope that isn't the case for the series II and III machines.
    I would bet they are. The positioning of those holes is not critical, so there would be no need to try to achieve higher tolerance.
    Tim

to facilitate better chip removal after the HP upgrade the cut will require better flood cooling setup. This is awesome now! when the operation is done from some heavy machining there is not a chip left anywhere on the machine practically, they all get washed down to the chip pan. NICE!
    Had to wire in a separate relay to take the load so as not to fry the relay on the Control board. 1/2hp Shallow well pump, 6 gallon tank. I'll have to stay on top of the swarf removal in the screens so as not to starve the pump, 360gpm vs 12gpm before.

Attachment 283530

in action, need to keep those deep pockets free of chips.This made my previous 1/8 HP pump look like "piss" cooling

Nicely done! That will definitely move some chips away from the machining area. And then I heard a voice say, "Make for yourself an ark of gopher wood; you shall make the ark with rooms, and shall cover it inside and out with pitch."...a great flood is coming.

I had problems with coolant getting into the lower spindle bearings, I made a slinger for the spindle nose to keep it from splashing directly onto the lower bearing area.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I had problems with coolant getting into the lower spindle bearings, I made a slinger for the spindle nose to keep it from splashing directly onto the lower bearing area.
    I would also consider moving the control cabinet outside the work envelope. Looks like it would be hard on electronics to have that much liquid flying around so close.
    I see Tormach enclosures relocate the control panel for access and operation to outside of their enclosure . Why not relocate the entire control cabinet on outside of enclosure? Looks like it would be less wiring then I see in the panel relocation kits.

Page 8 of 12 678910