Hello everyone I have been lurking in these forums now for a few years and have just finished a CNC conversion of my CT29N mill (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...onversion.html). I am currently in the design phase of my CNC Router build and am at the point where I need to run a few things by the experts before I finalize my drawings. I had a 4'x4' ShopBot for a few years in my workshop but do to a move I no longer have it. Since I have the shop space now I am looking to add a second CNC machine to the workshop. This new machine will have a 4'x9' cutting surface for the router and down the road I hope to be able to run a plasma torch with a water table. The water table is going to be built into one end of the table and be sealed up and covered over when not in use. I don't plan on going with the plasma setup right now as I need the machine to make some money to pay for the plasma cutter.

My current plans are calling for a rack a pinion setup using a rail system similar to the one CarveOne is using on his mills. For the motors and electronics I am looking at running the following:

- NEMA 34 HIGH TORQUE STEPPER MOTOR 640 oz-in
- KL34H280-45-4A (1/2" Single Shaft)
- Gecko G201X drivers
- Unregulated Power Supply 1440W, 72VDC/20A
- C11G - Multifunction CNC Board

The larger 640oz-in steppers are a little over kill for the Y and maybe Z axis but I like the compact size and the gantry is going to be fairly heavy as I am planning on run a dual Z axis setup (drilling on one side router on the other).

I was planning on running a PC router but I am wondering if anyone has any experience on the spindle Keling is offering.

KL-2200 Milling Spindle
Specification
OD=80 mm x 215 mm Voltage: 220V
Speed: 8000-24000 R/min
Power: 2200 W (3HP), Frequency: 400 Hz
Water Cooling, ER20 collet chuck
Grease Lubrication, NSK Bearing, Runout off: less than
0.005mm
Water cooling about 20-26 gal/hr

KL-VFD22
Specifications
LED Display
Input: 220V 50/60Hz, Single Phase
Output: 0-240V 2.2Kw (3HP) 11A
Frequency Range: 0.1-400Hz
0-10V Analog interface capability
Variable speed potentiometer
1 year limited warranty

It seems to be able to a fairly able setup and it would be in the ball park of a decent router setup.

Build is going to be all steel for the framing and gantry and aluminum for the motor mounts and most of the Z-axis. I almost have the table designed in CAD and will share the drawings once I get them ready. I need to finalize the stepper choice as I plan on mounting them under the table for space savings.

Any comments are more than welcome.