587,853 active members*
3,693 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Mach3 and servo motors Setup Questions!!

Mach3 and servo motors Setup Questions!!

Hello all,
    I have a question regarding sevo motor and drivers. When using servo motor and drivers for cnc machine, Do I need to connect the encoder pin of the servo drivers' CN1: PA+, PA-, PB+, PB- to mach3's Encoder's input (config.--->Ports & Pins--->Encoder/MPGs--->Encoder 1,2,3)?

The reason I ask is because Im having problem milling circular shapes, and Im wondering if is because there's no feedback signal from CN1 to Mach3 encoder inputs which cause the milling loosing counts leading to non-circular shape?.....need help....

happytriger2000

No. Although Mach can read encoder signals, it can't do anything with them unless you write your own plugin or macros. Even then, all it would be able to do is stop the machine when an error occurs. It can not operate closed loop at all.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Mach is an open loop system. It is the job of the amplifier to keep the motor encoder synced to the pulses it is receiving from the computer.
    If the machine ends in the correct spot you are not losing counts.
    The problem maybe that the servos are just getting behind while moving (servo lag).
    You cure this by increasing the gain (and damping if needed) in the servo amp.
    Note that a servo will always lag somewhat. This is one reason you need higher resolutions with a servo than you do with a stepper.
    Bob
    You can always spot the pioneers -- They're the ones with the arrows in their backs.

thanks

:rainfro: Thank you both for the reply, I will contact the supplier to solve this problem. Im currently converting a RF25 to cnc with ballscrew for X and Y, cnc machined parts for motor mounts. Just last week Servo motor supplier's staff did come to my workplace to see the problem, but no solution...Will contact him again and if with no results, then refund the item will be my last choice.

thanks

happytriger2000