587,115 active members*
2,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Panel Paint Help Needed

OK, I need help from someone who has used or have explicit info. on the following panel paint for LCD bezels I have a need for.
    I have just about exhausted all my resources in trying to find a Crackle or crinkle style of paint or method of producing, I do not mean the crackle as it now applies to the anitique look for furniture etc. but the kind of finish that has been around for decades on (older) electronic test equipment and camera equipment. I have come across sites that refer to Krylon etc, but the Krylon site does not mention it. I have a large local paint distributor/supplier selection, but none of them know of or carry anything like it, its frustrating because I know its out there as I have purchased modern panels with this finish. Help, anyone?
    Thanks
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,

VHT wrinkle paint

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...99&prmenbr=361

Most automotive speed shops carry the stuff.. Trick: use a heat gun to speed up the wrinkle process and make the wrinkles deeper.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks .. that looks promising, but I can't seem to find the VHT web site to see if I can get it in Canada?
    Al

Albert E.

You can get it in Australia and I've also seen it here in Belgium so getting in Canada shouldn't be a problem.

Al_The_Man -
    You can also look for "Truck Bed Liner" Paint. It has a textured finish - not too unlike wrinkle finishes. I find its application a bit easier - one coat and you've pretty much got the effect. The wrinkle paints I've tried tend to require several (like 3) coats, specific drying times and sometimes the subtile application of heat. I say that having melted a project trying to get the paint right - DOOOH!
    Check the autoparts stores, KMart-like outlets, etc.

ADDED: PlastiKote Black 217 is the one I didn't succed with. www.plastikote.com if you're interested in that one.
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

What are the bezels made of?

1/8" Aluminum .
    Al

Albert E.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Contact your local powder coater, this finish can easily be duplicated and will be far stronger than spray paint.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man
    Thanks .. that looks promising, but I can't seem to find the VHT web site to see if I can get it in Canada?
    Al

Local Body shop supply stores, ask for SEM products, check their web site at;

http://www.sem.ws

Specifically what you are looking for, check the following PDF document in section "V"

The product 39853 (Spray Can) 39854 (Quarts) is a Texture Coating that can receive a colour topcoat sold separatly.

Best regards from Montreal

frenchnew
    Still learning something new.

They have it at http://www.tubesandmore.com/ but can't ship to Canada...

Try other places for Radio Restoration. Body shop supply, I hear Princess Auto has about everything up there in Canada... did you look there...
    Nathan

Thanks to all the leads, I should be able to get at least one of them that will give me the result I want.
    Al

Albert E.