586,692 active members*
3,054 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 18 1234513
    Here are a few photos.... I got a lot done today... Was off work and had a few hours i could spend trying to get more of this project finished... The gantry sits on the rails square and makes perfect contact in the v-bearings... rolls very smoothly & with creative placement of the gear rack's... I have 100% use of my 4x4' cutting area...

Carriages ready to be mounted!

Everything mounted... yes, i know i'm missing one 7/16's bolt on each of the gantry ends... :-D ... My local hardware store only had 6 bolts and should have the other 2 needed in the next day or so... was not worth me driving all over town for 2 bolts... so, i'm holding out till my regular place gets more... :-)

Carriage far left, will be able to get all of my 48" of usable cutting area!.... (note my custom bushing/spacers on the v-bearings!)

Gantry far rear... With z-axis mounted i should have just over 48" of usable cutting area!

Better photos to follow tomorrow!...

Ice storm hit here in michigan... Will be without power till thursday... Will catch upwith you guys then....

Well got my power and internet back up now!... Will try and get some photos up tonight!...

Those suck , was without power for two weeks two years ago in Ky.ice storm.

ive been lurking a while, and i like your design, simple, easily sourced parts, well except your custom machined bits.

Am i right in figuring your into this so far for, $850? except bolts etc

did you test your board tb6560 on 100% i tested mine and it didnt work from the beginning ( big smoke cloud)

Question

linkintiger,
    Sorry to hear that!
    Who did you purchase it from and how long ago?
    I just found a thread that the tb6560 had issues and had to be modded to get anything above 25%.If you bought from Hubbard CNC, I was hoping that they had possibly gotten newer boards that had been updated to correct the problems. Sounds like the answer might be NO. I was holding off till Winegar posted his results but now I think I will invest in the Gecko 540 or some of the single drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by linkintiger View Post
    did you test your board tb6560 on 100% i tested mine and it didnt work from the beginning ( big smoke cloud)
    I have ran it on 50%, 75%, and 100%.... No smoke!... Runs like it should as far as i can tell bench testing it... The 420oz steppers i have run 1.4amps @ 420oz.... Right now I have it set to current= 50%, Buffer=Fast, and sub-set=1/2....... I have played with it on the bench quite a bit and everything seems smooth... take in mind I honestly have no idea in hell what the buffer and sub-set it!... lol..

I have worked on the wiring off and on all day today... trying to figure the best way to install my limit switches on the X & Y axis.... the front X was easy... the rear i'm still working on and the Y's on the gantry gave me a fit... but i got it figured out.... Have it all painted now and will have it bolted up tomorrow after the paint dries... Have not made much progress this week with the power being out and then having to work so much too...

Things left to do at this point:
    Find someone local to bend my cable track channel...
    Ordered my Zaxis from tulsaturbo... Install it when it arrives this week...
    Find me a computer for garage only... (dont want to move my pc around!)
    Build some type of device to hold my steel while it cuts its own slats!

[I]Find me a computer for garage only... (dont want to move my pc around!)[

You may want to check out new egg .com they have recon ones with XP loades 40 gig hard drive pc and new monitor around 300 $ got one the other day . Seems ok so far fast shipping also

That is crazy expensive. Try this:

Tower & Desktop PC's : surpluscomputers.com

Maybe I failed to make myself clear. I got a Dell refurbished desktop, with windows XP loaded on it , it has 40 gb hard drive, new mouse, keyboard and a new 18 inch flat screen monitor with shipping for about 300 $. Not going to get in a pissing contest but I did not see any better deals on the 2 sites listed below, but I could have missed something.

Winegar first off GREAT build log and workmanship!

I only have one problem - why do you have to make it look so easy

It has totally inspired me to build a CNC table since finding your thread on the weekend and seeing your amazing progress. I am in IT so no experience on CNC or metal work but I made the mistake of buying a Jeep. This had led me to believe I could make my own parts for it which is why I found this siteand to be honest I was actually looking to build a welding table. Only started trying to weld in the past month and now think this will be my second project after a welding table.

I have taken the plunge and ordered tulsaturbo's kit tonight to get me comitted....at least until the wife asks about all these things arriving at the door then (chair)

anyways taking up too much thread space here - eagerly awaiting your next set of updates:cheers:

Well guys, I have my computer.. Picked one up locally at a computer store that builds custom computers for $20... someone left this one instead of paying to have it fixed, and had a new one built.... I replaced the hard drive and installed ram both of which i had laying around..... and she is ALIVE!!!... Installed XP.... All my related CNC software.... and got her hooked up out in the shop.... She moves smooth steady, good sign!.... Need to figure out my settings for the gear rack.. Hope to have that done tonight, and i will do a video of her up and running.... She move fine, i'm just being extra careful not to run her off the ends until i have my limit switches installed 100%!!!

My wife went to Disney World to run a 1/2 marathon and has been there for about a week now giving me time to work on the house, cars and my table build! I took a few days off work to get a lot of stuff done around here that need doing (except clean my dang garage!)... She will be back late tomorrow... so i need to get a move on!

I have my safety/limit switches install on both right and left of the Y/gantry.... and have my bracket made for the front of the Xaxis.... the rear X is proving to be much fun and hope to have that figured out tonight!... Photos to follow!

Some of these photos that i shot today, I used one of my large Nikon's that weigh like 8lbs with lens and all, shooting freehanded, the garage is quite dim lit and with this lens, the on board flash will not go around it with it being a foot long and glass larger than the camera....lol.... and i really don't feel like either dragging out one of my bounce flashes or getting the tripods... so, they might be just a hint of fuzzy... sorry guys!.... lol

Limit switch brackets!

Gantry ends finished running cable... just need tidying up a bit... and to make my brackets for the E-track!

5/16 bolts for the "positive" stops on the Y... Fitted perfectly with Square nuts in the AAG and nuts with floating washers to lock in down... Fits great but you will have to insert the Square nuts with the ends off!... They will NOT fit without removing the end!

Winegar,

The table looks great. I am looking at building a similar size table using the Plasma bot pieces.
    How is the direct drive working out? Do you think there is any issue with smoothness at slower speeds etc? I have been going back and forth on direct drive vs 3:1 belt reduction.

Also could you advise on your source for the motor pinion gears, the number of teeth and DP and the pressure angle?

I looked at McMaster but I didn't see any 16 or 20 DP spur gears with a 1/4 bore.

I look forward to seeing your table in action, please post some videos.

Mike

Page 3 of 18 1234513