587,362 active members*
3,533 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 18 123412
    Winegar - where did you order your V rail from? How expensive was it?

Figure about $0.09 per mm for the Gantry Rail AAG... and about $0.06 per mm for the x-axis AAS Rails.... Total rail cost for my 1400mm x 1582mm rails... ($355 shipped)

Guess what I found on the door step today.....

Yeap, you guess it.... McMaster I received overnight as well as PBC once they shipped!.... Now, I'm waiting on my bolts to attach my X-rails... about 2 days out at this point...

I was not real thrilled with McMaster on that tube they sent... There were no packaging inside and my 3 Gear Racks where just tossed in the box... They are solid steel and all... but a little foam or cushion of some type would be nice... Since, i'm sure UPS handled it with kid gloves the whole way!...hahahah... yea!... I know they should be a little dirty with grease and all... to keep from rusting... but there were dirt and a bunch of other stuff, not to mention a dead spider on them right from the tube... Not a big deal... But i just dropped $180 with them... It will clean up all the same... but just saying!...

I should have lots of photos up tomorrow (Wed) night!!!

Here is a build of a RouterBot [Shop Droid] from nosleepstudio:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wo...tml#post897403

This is a custom sized machine as well: 4-feet by 7-feet.

You have a nice design and fabrication of the base!

Limit switches... $10 shipped for (10) of them!... 8 day delivery, not bad!

Great detailed pictures ! .What size rack and pinion are you using ? Also how are you going to attach the rack gear to the gantry and table ? :cheers:

Winegear what was your source and info about the alum. extrusion w/ the rails already installed on them? I have never seen that before.

The Rails are made from a company named PCBLinear ... You must order from a distributor... as they wont sell to you direct... Here in town they have 3 different places you can order from.... You can give them a call and they will be able to tell you who your supplier would be!...

Here is a quick photo of my Gantry mocked up... and yea, i know.... the table cloth, red cushions and the drapes look like a 50's whore house... my wife loves it for some god knows why reason!...

Your wife let you build your gantry on HER table.

Please share your secret.

Thanks for the reply winegear. If I had seen those extrusions with built in rails I might have done things differently on my build. I put a link to their site in my files.

Hahah.. yea, she is away for a few days.... If she were to see this photo.. boy, i would be in for it!

A bunch of photo's to follow tomorrow... Made good progress today between work and play...

Great detailed pictures ! .What size rack and pinion are you using ?

Also how are you going to attach the rack gear to the gantry and table ?

Also could you explain exactly where you used the concentric bushings and where you used the e centric bushings ?

Thanks!... I have most of my holes on the top rails drilled and tapped right now... I have about 8-9 holes left... Heading out to dinner with the wife (she's back! :-) ... then finishing up the X-axis rails and mounting everything up for a test fit... Check back tonight for more photos as I'll have at least 4-5 up then!...

1/2" Rack...

Concentric all around, except for two Eccentric on the Y-axis....

Where did you place the 2 ecentric bushings on the y axis ? Sorry I m js starting a similar build .

Here are a few photos... Got the rails all drilled and tapped today... Will try and get the gear rack's mounted tomorrow... That will take some time as the racks are very dirty as stated earlier!...

Here are a few photos of the centering jig i made to make sure, after clamping down the rails in the exact place i need them... To just start a centering point for my larger drill bits.... I tried to make one just so my center punch would make a dimple, but there were not enough room to make a full strike with it... So, i improvised and made this... crude, but works!... Next time, I think i will drill and tap on a friends mill, that would have been so much better, easier, and faster... If only i had my rails when i started the build!...

Couple of photos of the gantry laid into place!...

Smile

Wow! You have made unreal progress! Working on this part time, not to mention the time you have taken to share your progress as well as help members like me with their unlimited questions! You have inspired me and I hope to document my progress as well. I will pick up the cut steel today. I hope to be welding on the table by tonight. I will keep you posted, and ask a few more questions.
    G

I'm still trying to make up my mind on the Z-axis.... Need to decide soon!...

Page 2 of 18 123412