586,728 active members*
3,308 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Mysterious Problem-Grinding Sound

Mysterious Problem-Grinding Sound

Im trying to work on a Milltronics RW12 VMC with Centurion 6 control and there is a nagging problem that Im not sure how to address.

When the table travels in the X axis, only one direction, it makes a grinding/rumbling sound as it travels. Its enough to be heard throughout the shop and can be seen in the poor finish when that direction of the X axis is engaged in cutting.

After many months of working with the machine I believe it can only be something in the servo/encoder/control. Perhaps its a parameter setting that Im unaware of. People have suggested bearings or ball screws but I absolutely cannot agree with them, it just doesn't sound like bearings/ball screws.

When I switch between axes using handwheel I will sometimes get an additional .001" or so step in the axis Im switching from so I know something is wrong with what the machine is telling the servos to do.

We all know what a machine sounds like when you are using handwheel and you have the increment set to .01" or greater. Sort of a knocking sound each time that step is taken. Well thats exactly what it sounds like in one direction on X the other direction is silent.

A few months ago the CMOS battery died and many settings were lost. Im suspicious this problem started happening around this time which is good because it would indicate a setting needs changing.

If anyone has any thoughts they'd be much appreciated.

Wolfe88

Can you do a video of the axes moving, we should be able to hear the noise it is making
    Mactec54