586,655 active members*
3,147 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Had something wierd happen yesterday

Had something wierd happen yesterday

A few days ago, the PDB on my 1100 wouldn't release the collet to change tools. I thought, no problem, I would just remove the collet, clean it and apply some fresh anti-sieze. I did that and all was fine.

Then yesterday it happened again. I couldn't get the PDB to release the collet. I was really getting frustrated so I opened the door around the motor and when I cycled the PDB I saw the problem. All the bolts on the bottom of the PDB gas cole loose and when I stepped on the pedal, the air cylinder would lift almost 3/4 of an inch. I needed a 12 MM allen wrench to fix the problem and of course, this happened right at noon, on Saturday and all the industrial suppliers close at noon and I was 30 miles away from the nearest supplier and McMaster is a little over 50 miles away.

Fortunately, my local Sears store had one 12 MM allen wrench in stock. Man, were they proud of it. They charges me $8.00 for it. But at least I was able to work today.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Similar thing happened to me when I had to change out a leaking drawbar cylinder on my 1100 on Friday night three weeks ago after I had gotten in off the road. I did not have a 12mm wrench.

Went Sears at 8:30pm and "no we don't have a 12mm Allen Key but we do have one 1/2" wrench, same thing" says the kid proudly. No, I said it is not the same, but at this point it was take it or leave it, work or sit. Took it home.

I also paid +/- $8.00USD then spent another hour and a half setting it up and grinding it to 12mm. But now I have a very special Hybrid Allen Key that is 1/2" on one end and 12mm on the other.

nitewatchman