587,070 active members*
3,421 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ID threading lathe

I need to cut an id thread.. How can I check the thread size and then pick up on the thread and take another finish cut...

use a gage.
    As long as you don't move the part in the spindle, the machine knows whare it is.

Yes a gage.
    Bolt, screw, threaded rod or tap.
    Or for custom sizes I usually have an external thread made first to the correct sizing (gage).

On second read thru - it seams that you are asking more about the machine as opposed to the thread checking.

The spindle will pick up a "home" signal and start from there. Try it on a test piece first if you wish to verify it will.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    I need to cut an id thread.. How can I check the thread size and then pick up on the thread and take another finish cut...
    After you have checked the thread size push the green button again.

If you want to make the thread slightly larger the easiest way is use G92 and add an extra pass a few thou larger.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I can measure the thread but the question is about picking up at the same spot... I program off line and then send over... If I adjust off line and then send over it seems like its not picking up? I will play around with it some more...

Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    I can measure the thread but the question is about picking up at the same spot... I program off line and then send over... If I adjust off line and then send over it seems like its not picking up? I will play around with it some more...
    What prevents you editing on the machine, you are using a Haas.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

OK...Now I'm REALLY confused. Why on EARTH would you need to reprogram something because the size was wrong???? Offset the thread tool.

Are you using a threading cutting cycle to cut the thread. I Always use G76....The P value on the second line can be used to adjust thread depth at the control....

matt

Why not adjust the X Wear or Geometry offset + a couple of thou and re run the thread tool? As long as you don't move the part in the chuck, or change the Z offset and don't shift gears (just my theory), the encoder should pick up the lead. You are using a G76 or G92 cycle, right?

Strange

Good tips. Divide 1 inch by threads per inch and this will be the feed rate of your single point id thread. Check to be sure that is right. Teach the tool properly and teach your g54Z correctly. You need something to screw in to the threaded hole like a screw or plug gage to see if it will screw in. Do this after cutting the threads and when the machine has stopped its program but leaving the part chucked or colleted up, do not remove it until you have offset the X offset and rerun it until you get a thread that fits the screw or gage. If you remove the part to check it elsewhere on a screw or something you are trying to fit then the part will not likely realign the id threads the same as before as when you cut them. You might also be needing to verify what type of thread you need metric or english and you could use a thread pitch gage to determine this.