586,655 active members*
3,001 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Programming M02 / M30

Programming M02 / M30

Hey guy's

I'm using format 1 on my VMC 40 and the end of my programs look like this.

G0 G80 Z.1 M9
    G49 Z0
    E0 X0 Y8. (Position of CS is at Center of table and move Y8. for loading and unloading)
    M02 (OR M30)
    %

My machine travels are 22 x 16 that is why I put a Y8. (half the distance on Y from CS for unloading and loading)

Everything is good but when it reads an M02 or an M30 it moves the table to CS and doesn't stay at X0. Y8. ......?????

Is there a parameter to make M02 or M30 not send machine to CS position

The manual says in format 1 that M02 and M30 will do this.

I can make it work using the SETH and using a G92 command at the beginning of the program but I do not like using that type of setup.......especially using multiple work offsets.

I read this in a thread and it is not working for me?

"Quote:
    Little Bubba

As for fixture offsets, my rule is NEVER EVER use a SETH or a SETY or a SETX and ESPECIALLY never ever use a SETZ. Leave the home position where it is (E0). At the end of the program run back to E0X0Y(1/2 your travel minus a bit)"

thanks for any help!

TMILLS

Try using G53 G00 Y-8.

G53 uses the machine coordinate system, at least on most machines it does.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Tmills, that right there, to me, is the main reason that Format 1 sucks.

Swap over to Format 2, life gets a lot easier, some of the canned cycles are a bit different, but the rest is the same and you get a little more control, like being able to park the table and spindle where you want it.

Thanks little bubba,

I wasn't aware what format you were in when I read that post. Last night I read the manual a little and what the diffrence between M02 and M30 is in format 1 as compared to format 2. It doesn't send it back to home in format 2
    and I guess format 2 is the Fanuc style format (which is all I've ever use.)

Is there any things that I should watch out for or that would be noticeably different in format 2.

thanks guys for all your help.

TMILLS

The main difference, besides actually going where you want it to, is the rigid tapping cycle. You need to prep it with a G84.1 and then call G84.2, there is a pretty good example in the manual. I'm 95% sure all the other standard canned cycles are standard Fanuc.

You can use the Fadal style E offsets or G53,G54 etc.... You don't need a G43 when calling a height offset, but it won't complain if you use it. You can use the Fanuc G28G90 if you like, you don't need it, a G0H0Z0 or calling a tool change will bring you back home. When calling up cutter comp you DO need a D#, unlike Format 1.

If you accidentally use your Fanuc post and send the program to your Fadal, it will run, and run just fine in Format 2.

Thanks Bubba,

I don't think I even have rigid tap on this 1992 fadal. looking at the vector drive has a ez200 or 300 on it I think (not at machine) which I think it needs to be a baldor or something if I remember correctly from the manual.

thanks again everyone!

TMILLS

If I could also add, the built in fixed subs DO work even if you are in Format 2. You don't have to give them up by switching to Format 2.

Someone mentioned in another thread that they use Format 1 so they could use the Circular/Rectangular Pocket, Engraving, Bolt Circle, etc. functions. They work in either format.

SBC--
    Remember that in Format 2 you MUST also state the "D" word because these cycles use cutter comp in the back ground. Format 1 does no tneed the "D" word.

Neal

Thanks SBC and Neal

Good to know! I Like using the Haas built in codes especially the G13 spiral pocket etc. And I just have certain codes spit out in my post for our haas at work like D# and H# etc. I will only need to edit post for last part of program in format 2.
    for the fadal. Everything else is pretty much the same.

(FADAL format 2)
    G53 X0 Y8.
    M30
    %

(HAAS)
    G28 Y0 (HAAS CAN ALSO BE PROGRAMMED USING THE G53 (MACHINE HOME) BUT I'VE ALWAYS USED THE G28)
    M30
    %

thanks for the input

Do most people that are used to fanuc style programming use the format 2.

And why in the hell would you want to use format 1 when it is no good!!!

Thanks
    TMILLS

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    SBC--
    Remember that in Format 2 you MUST also state the "D" word because these cycles use cutter comp in the back ground. Format 1 does no tneed the "D" word.

Neal
    Oops, thanks for mentioning that. I didn't know Format 1 didn't require the "D".