587,218 active members*
2,600 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

slo-syn motor - no torque.

I recently bought a used mill and got three of these motors and a mechatronics card in a box of stuff that came with it. I know the mechatronics card isn't very good but the motors like nice. They're M111-FD12 and from what I've been able to find on the web should be 600 oz/in.

They have four wires coming out. I removed the cover plate and there are 6 contacts. I guess this is a 6 wire stepper with the center taps disabled? Using a mulitmeter I was able to figure out which wires go to the each coil and I got the thing to work on the mechatronics card. But it has almost no torque at all. Just grabbing it, I can get it to slip. Here's a video [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-rMM2rbr_A"]YouTube- motortest.mpeg[/nomedia]

The motors are rated for 6.1 amps and the card only does 2.5 max. Is this a simple case of 'not enough power' or do I have it configured incorrectly? If I can make them work, I'd like to use them for a temporary quick and dirty cnc conversion of the mill.

Any thoughts or insight is appreciated.

I believe torque is directly related to amps. Sooooooooooooooo if your driver is rated at 2.5 and the motor is rated at 6 you would have about 40% of torque. Plus I think the driver's voltage rating is not very high, so you won't get very high rpm and will tax the drive, because of running it to the max.