587,172 active members*
3,248 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Slotting for CNC

Hi everybody

I have seen right angle head attachments for VMC's before on the web and in catalogues. The ones where they can be placed in and out of the turret by the toolchanger and are driven by the spindle with a pin to the side that goes into the stop block beside the spindle nose to keep them in place.

Not the kind of attachment like this cool fluid driven one... http://www.commandtool.com/coldset/newaxis.cfm
    I couldn't use this kind because the through spindle will not go without the spindle rotating and the spindle is not positionable in a c-axis kind of way.

My question is this...Does anyone out there have any web links to dealers that sell any tooling that perform the same way but is a slotter instead? I saw a catalogue with one in it once but it was a while ago and I don't know if it can be stored in the VMC's turret after use.

Why not use an endmill?

Are you attempting to put a square slot in an internal bore (like a keyseat)?
    DZASTR

It is a kind of cap measuring 35mm long x 24mm wide by 25mm high made of 6061 Ali. It is machined on five faces using the 4th rotary axis of a machining centre. The numbers produced are enough to make speed important.

The slot goes along the 35mm long side for all but the last 7mm of its length and is 3.2mm in width by 18mm deep. It is for a 3mm Stainless Steel lever to swing into. The end of the slot where only 7mm of material is left has to be square for cosmetic reasons. If I wanted to mill it with a square end I would have to use a right angle head or do it in another operation and the slot that way would be 35-7=28mm deep. That is over 9 times the diameter in depth!

I found out that Chevpac machinery (from NZ) have something that MAY do the trick in their catalogue but I still need more information and their website is not that informative. More options of other sellers or manufacturers or opinions from any users of the things would be greatly appreciated!!!