587,380 active members*
3,863 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

stating up a program

background info:

In our shop, we have a horizontal mill (Mazak H500/50 with M-32 Mazatrol controls) that was bought at an auction a couple of years ago. We haven't messed with it until recently because nobody here knows how to run a Mazak, we all run machines with fanuc controls. We got it hooked up, got rid of some alarms that used to appear at start up, and did some modifications to the machine. We set the machine up for the very first job that we're going to run, set x0 & y0 (to the best of my knowledge), set the z offset for tool 1, and manually typed up a program on the machine.

problem:

Like I already mentioned, we don't know how to operate Mazak controls. I keep pressing Cycle Start and get a couple of alarms. One is when I'm in the program screen (where I typed up the program), I try to run the program and get an alarm that says 'impossible screen cycle start'. So I go to the command screen and try Cycle Start, I get 'execution impossible'. While on the command screen, I look at the upper right corner of the screen where the work # and line # are indicated. Both values are blank. Finally, on the command screen, I select 'wrk no.' and type '1' (the program # I created) and the machine says 'data renewal not allowed'.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Everything I have done up to this point has been a complete guess based on my background with Fanuc controls. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

I can assume you wrote a g code(eia) program. Using G54 and also using G43 with a D and H. If that is the case. Then you need to use the EIA data far left button and eia info. Set the G54 and use the info for tool length and dia. FYI you can use the Mazatrol tool data and drop the G43 with the H And D. Mazak a use dia not radii. For cutter comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using G54, G43, & H1 in the program and I did set X0 & Y0 as well as tool 1 offset via the EIA info. option from the start. I am about to go back outside to confirm that everything is still set. Before I go out there, I wanted to ask how do I write a mazatrol program? When I go to program and create a new file, I get 2 options EIA or Mazatrol. I try to select Mazatrol, but get no response. It only lets me select the EIA option. Also, Thanks for helping me out.

It should let you choose Mazatrol. Select material set initial clearance and usually off for the multi. Set the pallet you want in the machine. Set the index next. WPC is the G54. Point machining is pretty straight forward. Line machining is as follows. Line left is G41 line right is G42. Line center is no comp. face machining is similar. You'll also have to set up your tool file as you go to get the auto speeds and feeds. They are pretty close. Everytime you index to a different side, you need a new wpc. Then change pallets and end the program. That should get you started. There is a lot more to it. But that is the basic starting point.

M71 and M72 are your pallet change codes. If it is a two pallet.

I forgot, set home 2 and slide X. That is the position on the machine cord. That the pallet needs to be at for the change.

read the manual

Quote Originally Posted by cSpampinato View Post
    background info:

In our shop, we have a horizontal mill (Mazak H500/50 with M-32 Mazatrol controls) that was bought at an auction a couple of years ago. We haven't messed with it until recently because nobody here knows how to run a Mazak, we all run machines with fanuc controls. We got it hooked up, got rid of some alarms that used to appear at start up, and did some modifications to the machine. We set the machine up for the very first job that we're going to run, set x0 & y0 (to the best of my knowledge), set the z offset for tool 1, and manually typed up a program on the machine.

problem:

Like I already mentioned, we don't know how to operate Mazak controls. I keep pressing Cycle Start and get a couple of alarms. One is when I'm in the program screen (where I typed up the program), I try to run the program and get an alarm that says 'impossible screen cycle start'. So I go to the command screen and try Cycle Start, I get 'execution impossible'. While on the command screen, I look at the upper right corner of the screen where the work # and line # are indicated. Both values are blank. Finally, on the command screen, I select 'wrk no.' and type '1' (the program # I created) and the machine says 'data renewal not allowed'.
    Thank you in advance.
    the M-32 Mazatrol control and machine has a set of manuals of about 1200 pages. See Mazak for a copy of the manuals for your specific machine.
    There is usually a key switch that must be turned to allow edit mode for creating or changing programs. this is to prevent operators from changing programs that management does not want changed.

Ok, we got the problem fixed. The reason why we couldn't use Mazatrol or run the program was because there was a parameter that got turned on when the machine was reformatted and we had to turn it off. After doing so, we just restarted the machine and now everything work.