588,053 active members*
4,153 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Post Tap Drill Calculator Freeware

I've recently been running many jobs with bastard sized threads that are not found on most Tap Drill Charts. As you may know, finding the tap drill size for a #10-64 tap may be a bit of a challenge.

My solution? Create a 'chart independant' application that will calculate the required tap drill size given the tap's major dia, the desired percentage of thread, and the TPI or Pitch of the tap.

It will calculate for Inch Cut and Inch Form, as well as Metric Cut and Metric Form taps.

There are 2 different downloads; The small one is just the executable, for those that already have the VB6 Runtime libraries, and the larger one has an install program. They can be found at cadcam's FTP site under Unspecified Uploads as Tap Drill Calculator.zip and Tap Drill Calc Setup.zip.

Enjoy it and please post a comment if you try it out.

'Rekd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tapdrillcalc.jpg  
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Download the exe

directly, note that you MUST have the VB6 Runtime libraries to run this. Otherwise, download the setup package from the FTP site.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Matt,

I think it's a neat little program. As you may remember, I also wrote a thread data program (inside ME Consultant), so I find such things to be interesting.

A couple of comments:

There's room for a little "Calc" button to be a mouse-driven equivalent of the Enter key, which would feel better to me. Not a big deal, though.

Even though you don't need a tap drill chart to calculate the drill diameter for any size thread (good), your program outputs diameter data. Won't you still need a drill chart to figure out what drill to use (example M12-1.75 tap, 80% thread, requires a 10.18mm drill - off the top of your head, what available drill is nearest to that?)

Thanks for writing it and sharing it with us.

Mike

Originally posted by mrainey
    Matt,

I think it's a neat little program. As you may remember, I also wrote a thread data program (inside ME Consultant), so I find such things to be interesting.

A couple of comments:

There's room for a little "Calc" button to be a mouse-driven equivalent of the Enter key, which would feel better to me. Not a big deal, though.

Even though you don't need a tap drill chart to calculate the drill diameter for any size thread (good), your program outputs diameter data. Won't you still need a drill chart to figure out what drill to use (example M12-1.75 tap, 80% thread, requires a 10.18mm drill - off the top of your head, what available drill is nearest to that?)

Thanks for writing it and sharing it with us.

Mike
    Thanks, Mike.

While a change in focus on any control will fire a calculation event, a command button for it is a good idea as well.

Also, the main reason behind this program was to eliminate having to call a rep/manufacturer or 'look it up in the bible' to find the drill size for the bastard taps. Having a reference chart for the 'closest match' is a great idea, but in many, (most?) cases it won't produce results that match a drill chart exactally, as the end result is calculated with nearly an infinate number of possible solutions for which drill sizes do not exist.

Mayhaps I'll fix myself a Rum & Coke and see if I can come up with some kind of logic or dig up a function somewhere to find the closest match, 'cuz it really would elimate another annoying step in my job...

Thanks for the tips. Great ideas!

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

While a change in focus on any control will fire a calculation event
    A change in focus (via mouse click or Tab key) doesn't display the recalculated tap drill diameter on my system (XP Home)

Originally posted by mrainey
    A change in focus (via mouse click or Tab key) doesn't display the recalculated tap drill diameter on my system (XP Home)
    Oopsie.. my bad.

Try this one. I added the Calc button and saved settings for the type of tap selected.

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Someone asked if it was possible to launch this from the MasterCAM toolbar.

The answer is yes. You'll need to create a new VBScript, with this..

Code:
    Const THE_FILE = "C:\TapDrillCalculator.exe"

ShellAndWait THE_FILE, False
    Then save it, and modify the toolbar via Screen/Config, and point to that VB script. If you don't have 9.1, you can't do it.

'Rekd

p.s., replace the path with yours..
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Looks like a winner to me.

Where is the FTP site found?

Originally posted by motomitch1
    Where is the FTP site found?
    HERE

Tap calculator

I just tried the calcualtor and I have a recommendation which I think makes a software OK or awsome in my book. Make the tap diameter field able to take decimals or fractions such as 3/8 or 1/4.

Other than that I think you did a great job on the GUI and the function is good.

Re: Tap calculator

Originally posted by TAB
    I just tried the calcualtor and I have a recommendation which I think makes a software OK or awsome in my book. Make the tap diameter field able to take decimals or fractions such as 3/8 or 1/4.

Other than that I think you did a great job on the GUI and the function is good.
    Great idea!

I've added it. I've also added a command line arg that you can use to display the metric hole size in inches instead of milimeters. Use "/in" in the shortcut to do this.

I've also shortened the time the about window stays up, and some other cosmetic changes/debugging.

I'm contemplating on some of the other suggestions, so keep an eye out.

Enjoy!

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Excellent! I'm a brand new to this forum, and came at just the right time to find this. I recently "discovered" roll taps and I'm glad to see that you have them covered with this program.

Alex

I just started playing with this program and noticed a problem with Inch Roll form taps. The hole size calculated with the program is quite a bit larger than in the charts I found.

For example, wanting a 1/4" threaded hole, I loaded this data: tap dia. = .2500, % of thread = .65, TPI = 20, checked Roll, giving a hole size result of 0.2498. My charts give a 0.2280 drill size. Might the formula for roll taps be wrong?

The charts I'm looking at are here:
    http://www.rose-training.com/rolltapch.pdf and here: http://www.championscrew.com/form_tap_drill.htm.

Alex

I hope the author is still around. I just started playing with this program and noticed a problem with Inch Roll form taps.

The hole size calculated with the program is quite a bit larger than in the charts I found. For example, wanting a 1/4" threaded hole, I loaded this data: tap dia. = .2500, % of thread = .65, TPI = 20, checked Roll, giving a hole size result of 0.2498. My charts give a 0.2280 drill size.

Might the formula for roll taps be wrong?

The charts I'm looking at are here:
    http://www.rose-training.com/rolltapch.pdf and here: http://www.championscrew.com/form_tap_drill.htm.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by asallwey View Post
    % of thread = .65

Might the formula for roll taps be wrong?
    You entered a decimal point in the percentage (.65 instead of just 65). Remove it and you should get the results you're looking for.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Does this cover STI taps as well (cut and formed)?

JP

Quote Originally Posted by JPMach View Post
    Does this cover STI taps as well (cut and formed)?

JP
    No, but only because I don't know the formula. If you do, let me know.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

I have no clue at all.

I know Balax has some drill sizes in the back of their catalog, but know of no formula.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by JPMach View Post
    I have no clue at all.

I know Balax has some drill sizes in the back of their catalog, but know of no formula.

JP
    I'm thinking about adding it as a database function instead of a formula. It will surely make the app slower.

Meh.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Page 1 of 2 12