587,638 active members*
4,351 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    I grew up in Northfield, half way between Rochester and Minneapolis. I had sense enough to leave.
    I bet Jesse James wished he had that much sense...

Hello Thunterman,

Nice video!

These tooling suppliers may be useful,

http://www.2linc.com/engraving_tools.htm

http://www.bitsbits.net/index.php?ma...97ae10f0d328b5

http://www.gspinc.com/products/route...s_engrave.html

Tip for PhotoVCarve - After cutting the grooves / lines the image will spring into life if you paint / spray / stain the grooves with a darker colour. A quick way of doing this is to machine the grooves, spary they complete surface and then use an orbital sander to remove the spray off the flat surface leaving the grooves dark.

Hope this helps,

Tony

Thanks for the comment on the video Tony! This is just another one of my too many hobbies.

Those tooling sites look like good places to order some v bits.

When I start generating some cash from this addictive hobby, I'll purchase copies of VCarve and PhotoCarve. Very nice software! I had attempted carving the "Big Ben" demo from PhotoCarve using a 90 degree bit. It was the only v bit I had. The results were mediocre at best. A 60 or even a 30 degree bit would have been much better.

I''l try the trick of staining and sanding the carving and see what the results look like.

After I purchased VCarve and PhotoVCarve it was actually easier to make money with my JGRO than before. People seem to like any fancy text or designs in wood especially when the width of the design is shown with a deeper cut into the wood. I have a friend who is convinced I need to produce for a local leading hardware store when he saw my VCarve cut designs, believe me you will not regret it.

Jason

Ha I love the sound effects with the vidio... So Dramatic

Dust Collection System

Just completed a prototype dust collection system for my JGRO. I included a spearator (mini-cyclone) so that the larger chips won't damage the JET dust collector bags. It works fairly well! Get hardly any dust in the bags! I designed the router clamps and dust pickup head on Autocad and them imported to Bobcad and created the g code. The final workong version will have the router clamps and pickup head cut from UHMW plastic. The fexible plastic skirts will be replaced with brushes on the final vesion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dp.JPG  

JGRO upgrades

Haven't posted for sometime. Still having a blast with this CNC router "thing". Made a new bracket for a Hitachi Router. Also, added side supports to the long y axis. Had to route a shallow groove into the bottom torsion box to get some clearance for the bottom of moving gantry. I have inserted three long threaded rods across the top of the bottom torsion box that I can adjust. Maybe the photo will explain it better. With these side supports I no longer have a problem with "racking" and all the bearings now touch the pipes. Others with the JGRO have done similar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2029.jpg   IMG_1920.jpg   IMG_1917.jpg   IMG_2041.jpg  

Nice job thun, you build a nice machine, im building mine too, hope it works just like yours, if i had some kind of trouble i think ill ask u!

Page 2 of 2 12