587,158 active members*
3,096 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Torch type/Oxy fuel gas options?

Hello again guys,

I am trying to figure out what type of torch we have on our cnc cut table its a 1986 mg.

It is set up for running Natural gas but we only have the ability to get 20 oz from the gas company. I have looked at natural gas boosters but we where also wondering what other types of fuel can be used such a large propane tank so we dont have to boost the pressure of the natural gas. Im not sure of what type of fuel the torches can run or what our options are. Any input is welcome.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20130713_105324_192.jpg  

I believe it is just the tips that you buy that are diffrent for natural gas vs acytelene but i could very well be wrong. Either way a whole new torch body to run the most economical gas would be cheap vs buying a natural gas compressor.

That is very true, we do have 4 of those torches on the machine. We where trying to get the gas company to bring in the 45 psi line from 3 block away but could not get them to do it. So now we are looking at different options

Normally, an oxy-fuel cutting machine can use oxygen+Propane/Methane/Acetylene. What is your cnc cutting machine brand and model? Maybe we can check.

It is a Messer Table and bridge and has been retrofitted by Airgas at one time in the 90's I found the torch model number it is a Harris model 98-6taf. I am trying to find more information on it weather or not it will take propane or other cutting fuels, in your guy's thoughts what is the best quality cutting gas? And what gas can i use with this torch?

Just take your torch model number, or the torch itself, to your local welding shop and ask them what tips you need to run propane or whatever gas you decide you want to run. The torches are all the same, the tips have different sized orifices for the fuel gas depending on which gas you are using.

Matt

Ok, Thanks Matt I just wanted to make sure it would run propane. I will ask the weld distributor today when he comes by to deliver.

Here is what I found Airgas - HCL1101470 - Harris® 98-6TAF 18" Heavy Duty Machine Cutting Torch 3 Hose Style For Alternate Fuels

Thanks,
    Jason

Just talked to the weld supply guy and they have tips on the truck to change them over to propane. Should be ready to light it up.