587,887 active members*
3,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Trouble Zeroing A axis

Okay. Well had a crash (wasn't me!!) and so far I aligned the turret and I got the turrett to index and locate properly. I am also running the machine and it works.

The only thing when I go to zero return individual A axis. It unlocks the turrett. Attempts to locate then misalligns the turrent a few degrees below the coolant locator.

(The way I am able to get it to allign is M43, then jogging the A axis into place, M44, then run it from there)

Also, I have played with the collar on the servo motor and did a "z channel only" and zero returned the A axis servo then clamped the servo.

What gives??

Okay. Well had a crash (wasn't me!!) and so far I aligned the turret and I got the turrett to index and locate properly. I am also running the machine and it works.
    Are you using all the tool pockets? If you are using 1-4 pockets and they are close to one another, you can still have an alignment problem. Due to the way this turret is made.
    Try using different pockets turning the turret cw then ccw then 180 deg cw then 180 ccw--- must have the turret swinging back and forth full swing.
    Does it clamp up and align on the coolant pipe?

The only thing when I go to zero return individual A axis. It unlocks the turrett. Attempts to locate then misalligns the turrent a few degrees below the coolant locator.

Additional troubleshooting required
    Can you jerk on the turret and does it pop into position? It can be unclamped and still not give an unclapmed condition due to the prox switches on the side of the bimba air cylinder having too large of seeing range.typical hass problem.

(The way I am able to get it to allign is M43, then jogging the A axis into place, M44, then run it from there)
    You are using the pulse handle?
    Also, I have played with the collar on the servo motor and did a "z channel only" and zero returned the A axis servo then clamped the servo.
    You are using the crash recovery procdures from the manual.. Pull the pages wad them up and toss them. They are misleading.
    The very first thing you need to do is REset the collar.
    Heres what I would do.
    1. remove the black plate 4 screws on the front and do your best to catch the oil as it runs into the chip conv.
    2. Put indicator on end of wormgear power off with servo brake on wiggle collar back and forth. take reading adjust collar to mid pos.lock it down.should be <.001" This is the bk lash for the coupling, Wormgear and brass driver gear. Forget the book, this is the correct way.
    Do not use pram to fix this, do it mechanical.
    3. While top cover is off inspect the big w series nut it's the nut that a claw spanner wrench turns. After crashes it sometimes comes loose.
    4. Inspect the bolt that goes tur the bimba clamp/unclamp cylinder eye. also check the locknuts on the rod end.
    5. Inspect the 2 large spring washers they are black and fwd of the w-nut. Also inspect the switch cam on the back of the shaft. This is the input for the turret home Encoder marker pulse signal.
    6. check the 10 bolts on the front of the turret face. They hold a plug approx 3" that clamps the turret to the end of the shaft. If they are loose and you tighten them and the turret locks up, then you will need to go another direction.This would be shaft/cervix coupling swash plate and balls problem.
    I have an extensive upgrade that I have done to these turrets for the aerospace steels in the big bore machines to "BEEF-Up"
    It requires removing the turret and shaft and some machining and after market parts. 4 machines and 4-8 years later still no more problems. Let me know if you want the procedure.
    Please let me know what you find.
    I can understand your flustrations.
    Good luck!

What gives??
    "The recovery procdure in the manual---that's what"

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRebuilder View Post
    Are you using all the tool pockets? If you are using 1-4 pockets and they are close to one another, you can still have an alignment problem. Due to the way this turret is made.
    Try using different pockets turning the turret cw then ccw then 180 deg cw then 180 ccw--- must have the turret swinging back and forth full swing.
    Does it clamp up and align on the coolant pipe?

Additional troubleshooting required
    Can you jerk on the turret and does it pop into position? It can be unclamped and still not give an unclapmed condition due to the prox switches on the side of the bimba air cylinder having too large of seeing range.typical hass problem.

You are using the pulse handle?
    You are using the crash recovery procdures from the manual.. Pull the pages wad them up and toss them. They are misleading.
    The very first thing you need to do is REset the collar.
    Heres what I would do.
    1. remove the black plate 4 screws on the front and do your best to catch the oil as it runs into the chip conv.
    2. Put indicator on end of wormgear power off with servo brake on wiggle collar back and forth. take reading adjust collar to mid pos.lock it down.should be <.001" This is the bk lash for the coupling, Wormgear and brass driver gear. Forget the book, this is the correct way.
    Do not use pram to fix this, do it mechanical.
    3. While top cover is off inspect the big w series nut it's the nut that a claw spanner wrench turns. After crashes it sometimes comes loose.
    4. Inspect the bolt that goes tur the bimba clamp/unclamp cylinder eye. also check the locknuts on the rod end.
    5. Inspect the 2 large spring washers they are black and fwd of the w-nut. Also inspect the switch cam on the back of the shaft. This is the input for the turret home Encoder marker pulse signal.
    6. check the 10 bolts on the front of the turret face. They hold a plug approx 3" that clamps the turret to the end of the shaft. If they are loose and you tighten them and the turret locks up, then you will need to go another direction.This would be shaft/cervix coupling swash plate and balls problem.
    I have an extensive upgrade that I have done to these turrets for the aerospace steels in the big bore machines to "BEEF-Up"
    It requires removing the turret and shaft and some machining and after market parts. 4 machines and 4-8 years later still no more problems. Let me know if you want the procedure.
    Please let me know what you find.
    I can understand your flustrations.
    Good luck!

What gives??
    "The recovery procdure in the manual---that's what"

Okay, I cant jerk the turrett into place since it is at least 1/2" away from the coolant line up.

If by the pulser you mean the A jog? What I do is take invisible axis off. M43 then A axis hand jog then I am in the hand job mode. Then I line up the coolant line and the hole and M44 clamp it.

Then I loosen the collar and reset the A axis.

This enables me to index the tools without any problem. And I am also able to run parts fine. THE PROBLEM is homeing the A axis. It doesn't locate properly it clamps back in the same position. The proximity switch for homing is working correctly as I have tested that.

Okay, I cant jerk the turrett into place since it is at least 1/2" away from the coolant line up.
    Oh but yes, grab the muscle head in the shop have him jerk it by the borring bar, or stick a 2x4 between the holders and pull.. If it is off, when you pull it, it will make a pop sound. This is the 3/4" balls reseating themself in the swash plate. there are 2 plates behind the turret you can see one of them from the top, the cylinder 1/2 moon bracket is bolted to one of them the other you cant see. Between these 2 plates are (2) 3/4"balls. they are in pockets when clamped and roll out of the machine pockets when unclamped.
    Doing this will reseat the balls to the plates.

If by the pulser you mean the A jog? What I do is take invisible axis off. M43 then A axis hand jog then I am in the hand job mode. Then I line up the coolant line and the hole and M44 clamp it.
    Yes, the pulse handle is the big alum knob.
    Then I loosen the collar and reset the A axis.
    Please note: If you need to do this procdure you will know it by this.
    1. turret will pos ok in one direction, but when going back in other direction it will be off. It will get worse the futher you move the turret, because the bk lash will compound. This does not need resetting 90% of this time.
    because when you have it right mechanical the Encoder on the servo will reset itself by the input of the cam switch.. The cam(for the switch) is keyed on the shaft in line with true home pos.

This enables me to index the tools without any problem. And I am also able to run parts fine. THE PROBLEM is homeing the A axis. It doesn't locate properly it clamps back in the same position. The proximity switch for homing is working correctly as I have tested that.
    I think your plates and balls are out of location, yes it can still index the turret and it will still clamp up.
    Have you swept the tool pockets to check that the turret is radial on centerline with the spind? Or are you breaking centerdrills? If not then the crevix coupling plates are ok. These plates have teeth in them and they locate the tool pos.
    I understand this is confusing, so is the design of this turret.
    Let me know what you find.
    GOOD LUCK!

when you loosen the collar on the motor end you have to turn z ch only on in par 43 then zero return the a when the invis axis is a 0 you only use invis axis to move the turret then clamp and turn it off then z ch only to 1 zero return, center backlash and clamp the collar turn z ch only back to a 0 then home again.
    REYTECH Machine Service Corp. CNC repair NY, NJ
    http://www.reytechmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRebuilder View Post

I think your plates and balls are out of location, yes it can still index the turret and it will still clamp up.
    Have you swept the tool pockets to check that the turret is radial on centerline with the spind? Or are you breaking centerdrills? If not then the crevix coupling plates are ok. These plates have teeth in them and they locate the tool pos.
    I understand this is confusing, so is the design of this turret.
    Let me know what you find.
    GOOD LUCK!

Actually the HASS tech told me to indicate the turrett in.