587,550 active members*
3,118 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Trying to find the name of this tool....

Trying to find the name of this tool....

I am trying to find out what the name of this tool is to purchase one. I saw a guy using this tool to repair melted battery posts on golf cart batteries but he did not know the name or where it was purchased. My guess is its used in some other application and just fit perfect for use in battery repair thats why I figured someone on this forum would know. The tool is used in the end of a drill and spins like a hole saw however the center is spring loaded and recesses down into the body when you put pressure on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170103_161356.jpg  

Re: Trying to find the name of this tool....

hmmm it does look like its a boring tool. or a mah plug maker. and it does slide up and down within the outer boring head.
    odd looking tool. Where did you find it?

Id google out... "old wood boring/drilling tools" or "19th and/or 20th century" something descriptive or other

Centering point is spring loaded and drops down into the body about 3/4" or so as it spins and you put pressure on it. I found a guy using it to repair golf cart battery posts. You use this tool to ream out the round lead lug and there is a new lead piece with a threaded rod that has a hole in it that goes over the battery lug. You then just heat them up and solder together as one piece. On golf cart batteries when the nut comes loose that holds the 6 gauge wires between batteries the connection heats up and totally melts down the lug.

it reminds me of a spotweld cutter I used once -
    Attachment 345556

your tool looks larger so I guess its more likely a woodworkers tool to produce wooden plugs

John

Quote Originally Posted by cmar143 View Post
    I am trying to find out what the name of this tool is to purchase one. I saw a guy using this tool to repair melted battery posts on golf cart batteries but he did not know the name or where it was purchased. My guess is its used in some other application and just fit perfect for use in battery repair thats why I figured someone on this forum would know. The tool is used in the end of a drill and spins like a hole saw however the center is spring loaded and recesses down into the body when you put pressure on it.
    It looks like it has been custom made, just for the job, he would of had 2 of them ( 1 ) for the positive terminal and ( 1 ) for the negative, I don't think you will find one just like that and is easy to have someone make it for you if you can't make it yourself, the closest you probably going to get is something like this photo, but would never be as good as what you are showing in your post

Here is a link to one almost the same as your one

battery drill post saver,maspmachining.com
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It looks like it has been custom made, just for the job, he would of had 2 of them ( 1 ) for the positive terminal and ( 1 ) for the negative, I don't think you will find one just like that and is easy to have someone make it for you if you can't make it yourself, the closest you probably going to get is something like this photo, but would never be as good as what you are showing in your post

Here is a link to one almost the same as your one

battery drill post saver,maspmachining.com
    That battery drill post saver bit is exactly what I need, thanks a lot for that link!

if thats the case and this is the tool you actuially need, you should be able to get one at your local tool house. Maybe even a home depot.

That's a left handed, center guided phetzer valve reamer.

I actually brought that picture to home depot and they didnt have anything like it, pointed me to hole saws. I wish there were more options as the one for sale in the link is $105 which seems pretty expensive to me

Quote Originally Posted by cmar143 View Post
    I actually brought that picture to home depot and they didnt have anything like it, pointed me to hole saws. I wish there were more options as the one for sale in the link is $105 which seems pretty expensive to me
    The only option is for you to make it yourself, or have a friend make it if you can't, it's very easy to make, it will have a taper machined inside to match the battery post, a center plunger with a spring to keep it centered on the post

They are like I said custom made, only someone repairing batteries would have a use for them, they are easy to make just take some time to do, and time is money, you won't find them in any stores like home depot or auto supply stores, custom made for something like this, is you buy it from whoever makes it
    Mactec54

edit:

oops, I commented before I looked at the picture full size.

Thought it was a birdcage...