587,657 active members*
5,389 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Updating to EdgeCAM 2011 R1

Post Updating to EdgeCAM 2011 R1

We are getting ready to upgrade from EC 2010 R2 to EC 2011 R1. Are there any issues with the upgrade? Has anyone else upgraded already and would like to report their experience?

Thank you,

Wayne
    Wayne Hill

Quote Originally Posted by WayneHill View Post
    We are getting ready to upgrade from EC 2010 R2 to EC 2011 R1. Are there any issues with the upgrade? Has anyone else upgraded already and would like to report their experience?

Thank you,

Wayne
    We have upgraded - so far the only pain has been caused by our IT department. We were running multiple local toolstores because our IT dept. thought that we had to buy another server to run it <sigh>.

Otherwise it's running well - had to recompile our posts, redo personal prefs etc. otherwise no issues.

80083R,

Thank you for the reply. I finished the upgrade on five workstations. Three local and two at another location. Everything upgraded with no real problems other than what you mentioned about the toolstore.

We are sharing the toolstore from our license server. I have to cleanout the older tools store data from the license server. We updated the shared toolstore and gave it a new name that coinsides with the software version and service pack. This update should hold us up for a while until the next SP shows up (estimating two months....).

Thank you,

Wayne
    Wayne Hill

[QUOTE=80083r;894195]We have upgraded - so far the only pain has been caused by our IT department. We were running multiple local toolstores because our IT dept. thought that we had to buy another server to run it <sigh>.
    [QUOTE]

Same here - IT say it has to run from root on the server, and they won't do that for security reasons, so want a seperate server for it.

[quote=inflateable;898747][QUOTE=80083r;894195]We have upgraded - so far the only pain has been caused by our IT department. We were running multiple local toolstores because our IT dept. thought that we had to buy another server to run it <sigh>.

Same here - IT say it has to run from root on the server, and they won't do that for security reasons, so want a seperate server for it.
    As always IT departments have bigger say in how things are done then the users.
    Toolstore is a MS SQL server. hur can this do any harm to their server and im quite sure they can start it as any user they want. it one of the most common features on a server you can find. I rund 4 differens SQL servers on one mashine. Start taking back control from the support people.

The bigest problem I had was the way they changed the default locations for the software. We have done a lot of automation most of witch runs from spreadsheets useing a combination of PCI's and Visual Basic which looked for Edgecam in specific locations. I solved the problem by unloading the software and reloading is by picking where it was loaded to. Also if you move to a PC with 64bit windows it will load under c:\program files(x86)\ instead of c:\program files\
    ernie

Quote Originally Posted by reedye View Post
    The bigest problem I had was the way they changed the default locations for the software. We have done a lot of automation most of witch runs from spreadsheets useing a combination of PCI's and Visual Basic which looked for Edgecam in specific locations. I solved the problem by unloading the software and reloading is by picking where it was loaded to. Also if you move to a PC with 64bit windows it will load under c:\program files(x86)\ instead of c:\program files\
    ernie
    You probably already fixed it but in the future the %programfiles% shortcut might work get rid of the problem.

So lets say you want to point to
    c:\program files(x86)\edgecam

you write
    %programfiles%\edgecam

If your running a 64bit program it should redirect to c:\program files and if your running a 32bit program it should redirect to c:\program files(x86)

Hi, I been using Edge Cam 2010 R1 and I had created Tool store.
    Now I have up greated to Vision 2011 R1. And I have problem with my tool Store.
    How can I transfer the tool store to the laters version?