588,058 active members*
5,126 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Very Interesting

Someone posted a very interesting message in the news column at the Bobcad forum.

And what was it?

Paul,
    I suppose that you could say it's all a matter of personal interpretation.
    I believe that it would probably be best to evaluate on a personal basis.
    As you know, there are pros and cons to all products.

Bobcad has earned its flak through very weak support. Their tech support team has been seriously handicapped through a lack of contact with the programming team. This has made bug fixing next to impossible to get done in a reasonable time frame.

It is my understanding that they now have their own programmers hired (that speak English) to work on version 19. I don't know where this leaves support at for version 18.

I've been doing volunteer tech support with them for the past year or so, and I apparently know as much about Bobcad's internal problems and tricks as real tech support does. This is not the way things should be. Real software support needs to have programmers who can look at the source code and fix stuff in a timely fashion.

It turns out that Bobcad is cheap up front, but it may well cost you in the long run in terms of your time spent trying to get code out of it. A bad rep is hard to change, too, even if they come out with the best package in the world for version 19. It is sad.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

HuFlungDung,
    You cuoldn't put it better. I bougth one of their early versions, even went to buy it to theirs offices when they were at El Segundo, all this happens several years ago and they are still with the same old problem, tech support. As you put it:
    "It turns out that Bobcad is cheap up front, but it may well cost you in the long run in terms of your time spent trying to get code out of it. A bad rep is hard to change, too, even if they come out with the best package in the world for version 19. It is sad."
    As I said, you couldn't put it better.
    GOMEZ107

___

It looks to me like they have good support, is it just a certain office that is not giving good support? They have a forum to support their customers.

So what software are you using now, Tooler?

What kind of controller were you having such a hard time with?

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

___

Guys.... I can tell you from my current experiance that Bobcads support, documentation is the poorest of any software I have ever had he misfortune to purchase. I am trying to work out a return ( I have not recieved my unlock key so the software dies in 30 days) and hoping they will do right in my case. I was promised the world.... its a long story, but when I got the package I was VERY upset... and felt cheated.... This just happened 2 weeks ago and I am looking for a differant CAM program and until then will make every effort I can to post in every forum I can find online as to my experiance with Bobcad........

2 weeks..

Is that really enough time to evaluate software?
    What did they promise you that made you dislike
    them. We have lots of good help here, maybe someone
    can address the issues w/ the software.
    Just a thought.
    PEACE

Ninewgt
    What version did you buy? I'm running BobWIRE v16.1 for 3 years now. I am happy with it. I know there is much more powerfull cadcam software availible. What exactly do you want to use the software for?

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Hey guys... Its a long story actually....

I am not unhappy with the software - I have not had it long enough to be unhappy with it.
    I was told I was getting a begginer manual, and an advanced users manual (400-500 pgs) i got a crummy CD set thats worthless......and a 50 page booklet.
    I also was promised an upgrade to VS 19, in a time frame that has passed.
    Then to add insult to injury I got an email (probobly by accident) for an offer to buy the same thing I had just purchased for 200 less than I paid...
    So Im just a little upset here.... its a long story

The guy at the CA office has since spoke with me though (today) and said there was a mistake..... and i am waiting on hearing from Bob personally.
    Ill keep posting what happens..........

___

Have you got your full manual yet ninewgt?

If not, pm me your details and I will see that you get one.

If you are referring to the training CD set as useless, you are the first one I have heard call them that. Most of those that I have spoken to think they have helped them get up and running much quicker, can you explain why you think they are useless?
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

Kook

Yes I did recieve the manual. I was very unhappy with Bobcad when I made the original post...... What had happened was a long story but to sum it up my order was short and Bobcad took care of it ( LONG story) Anyway as far as the CD set... It was simply not what I had expected is all. I shouldnt say that it was useless... just simply more not what I had expected and looked for in an 'advanced CD manual' Being that I will import 95% of what I need to make machine code for, I was looking for more on the actual use of files generated in other CAD programs and not Bobcad....

Thats it..... =)

Ninewgt

No Worries Champ, thanks for letting us all know that.

It might pay you and all of us, to give BobCAD some positive feed back on what you would like to see in the next set of training CD's as I know they are going to start on them very soon. If you pm me your requests I will ensure they get to the right person.
    Dave Drain

I own Bobcad 18 and I am a bit troubled by what i feel is the bad rap being inflamed on this forum. I paid about $800.00 for the software and received the training cd'as avaible at the time. They were a little painful to sit thru but all in all it is always comforting to watch the steps acted out in front of you for the first time. That being said, every one comes to the table with a different level of ability and some aspects of the cds are definetly very basic but need to be there. The part I don't understand is the folks who are disgruntled, what are you baseing your displeasure on? If you are an experienced cnc programmer what are you doing buying Bobcad. If you are new to cnc, what effort have you given to learning the program, or are your opinions fueled by what you read in this or other forums? Hu, I know you are now a strong proponent of Onecnc, but could you have possibly taken to it as quick if not for Bobcad or cnc experience in general? Can you tell me in all fairness the average cnc newbie wouldn't feel every bit as confused as the guy looking at Bobcad for the first time?

As far as the software, I still in my minds eye feel for the money, I got a decent program, that I use everyday in my wood working business, profitably. I do not do machinist work for a living (I do as a hobby), so I don't know how often complex 3d surfacing and jobs, or jobs that are out of the relm of Bobcad actually come up. I guess what I am trying to say is you have to start somewhere. I can't imagine a customer comes to a machine shop who just bought his first cnc machine, and is watching Bobcad training cd's or flipping through a Mastercam book, wanting complex 5 axis machined whirlygigs. There obviously is a point where the next level needs to be reached as businesses develope, not only in software, but in equipment, tooling, employees etc., but thats not usually right out of the gate. I have looked into One cnc, and the day may come where I graduate to it, or to Mastercam or whatever, with the understanding that like everything, I got what I paid for.

Hi MikeA

My sole beef with Bobcad was that I felt that problems and bugs were not addressed in a timely fashion. This handcuffs both the users and Bobcad tech support from doing anything to solve certain problems. This leads to the bad rep, plain and simple: you complain to tech support and think you are being ignored. It is impossible for tech support to give people solutions if there are no solutions.

I know you get what you pay for, but whatever level a program is at, its internal bugs should be dealt with swiftly.

If you read all my posts (in many threads), you will find out that I still say that Bobcad is as good a place to start in cnc programming as anywhere, if your budget is tight, and if 3d is not going to be your major. Truth in advertising would demand that Bobcad 18 advertise itself as 2.5d CADCAM with some 3d applications.

Perhaps Bobcad ver19 will be a breakthrough for Bobcad and this will help boost their rep immensely.

Thanks for the input Mike A!!! :cheers:

We need more BobCAD Supporters like you to take the time to post into this site.

It is easy for people to take the time to complain, but time doesn't seem to be there for praise.

Here is hoping that this thread and the other bobcad threads will actually start helping BobCAD users get to know their software better and be informed of up and coming BobCAD products.

I agree with you totally regarding value for money and I think that those who only have the advertising of onecnc in mind should take their businness to the onecnc thread.
    Dave Drain

Page 1 of 2 12