587,773 active members*
2,886 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > VMC1000 Tool change arm not returning to home

VMC1000 Tool change arm not returning to home

Saw this problem once before but he repair tech fixed it and I didn't ask him how he did it. I was testing my theory about fixed pockets(see earlier thread) and just running tool change programs through MDI without any tools in the spindle or carousel I made a tool change. The pot dropped down(this is a 30 tool vertical ferris wheel type machine, TNC426) , the arm dropped and spun to position then errored out, "toolchanger arm brake disengaged". Hit E stop, tried to reset machine, to no avail. When the machine comes on, can't initialize, error message "Toolchange arm not in position".

Anyone know how to get the pot to return to the horizontal position and get the arm to lift back up to home position?

K.

Hope this helps!

Go on top of the machine and there should be a hex rod hanging out on top of the tool change motor. There also should be a lever out the "cap" of the motor. Move that lever to the other side (relases the mechanical brake" and crank that hex rod (usually a 12m) to finish the tool change . (just crank that the right direction). Good luck!

Thanks Naw

Found the levers for the brake but the nut is on the bottom. I knew the repair guy used that when he reset all of the settings for the spindle replacement but didn't think to try that in this case. Machines bcak up and running.

Still having an issue. The tool change occurs, tool is picked up from tool pocket and tool is removed from spindle, arm moves about 30 degrees and stops with error "tool not unclamped" when it clearly is because it was just removed. The drawbar is visibly and audibly unclamped.
    I have checked the limit switch on the draw bar and it is being made, having 24v when not active and 0v when the drawbar is activated.
    When I hit the e stop, after this occurs, the drawbar releases and returns to clamped position. Again audible and visible.

Has anyone seen this before? I am down and getting further behind schedule.

It appears I have a water/cable issue somewhere. Came in this morning after sitting since Friday night and no problems at all. Had the coolant tank drained and cleaned Friday. The kids working for me washed down the inside of the machine really well to get all of the residual crud off of the walls and must have gotten something up on top wet.