588,684 active members*
6,065 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Webb Champ 4 series

New to these Forums, but not machining, I'm a CNC guy and only used Manuals for second Ops and making repair parts for the 16C hardinge lathe.

I recently picked up my first personal milling machine, actually its quite a bit more than overkill & thats okay. The guy I bought it from sold his business and closed up keeping all of his machines, I got a smoking deal on the 3500 lb monster mill being it is only 11 years old, I bought it for $600 with new powerfeed, because the table was jammed the guy said it needed cleaning but it really needed fixing instead.

Anyways I have tried contacting Webb and have gotten nowhere, I need some instructions or more importantly disassembly/maint instructions for this machine (basically everything that comes with a new a machine except the warranty information) there are some parts like the Gibb locks and a Gibb retaining bolt that I need to replace as well as knowing how far those Gibb retainers are supposed to be threaded in there are some other trivial things I need to know or at least get a refresher on. Missing the 3 spoke quill feed handles as well.

I can not get my quill/spindle to move, I have the top bearing support off and clean. The inside of the spindle or collet end is rusted from lack of maintenance on previous ownership-Naval jelly or something to clean it out later just as soon as I get it to move.

As a matter of fact the entire table & T-slots and all were caked up with chips and dry coolant making it somewhat rusty in color. My Dad and I spent 8 hours cleaning it.

I haven't found anyone who stocks parts or information about these machines, I do not remember what type of oil to put in the pump shot.

Where do the Pros shop at?

I tried Enco, MSC and McMaster Carr for replacement parts.

Chad,

I am in the same boat: Got a Webb (2VH)mill from a going out of busines sale. I made some progress tracking down info about the mill. They are still sold and parts are ssupposedly still available. Unfortunately I left the info at work, will have it by Monday; I'll post it then.
    Cheers,
    Bernhard

Update: I have most of the head assembly cleaned off of metal chips, and I finally got the quill lowered I felt like I was torquing on engine head bolts while lowering it.

bml6116:
    I'm hoping that your series 2 mill instructions are universal to the 4 series, I can't imagine them varying much. Can't wait but thats okay only took me 7 years to find a mill lol.

Okay I got 2 things I needed to work this machine without power while I clean it up. Odd thing about these are the parts that are for BP machines are supposedly not universal to Webb actually from the places I called in Arizona nothing is universal except oil and way locks and some screws and bolts. If you need Webb replacement parts Call Webb. Though expensive they are correct and not some mickey mouse hack job.

Now I need to get power to this Machine.