588,251 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X3/SX3/G0619/G0463 > X3 CNC Conversion- the new red-headed-step-child
Page 2 of 7 1234

Hybrid View

PVC pipe works great for conduit and can be routed alot cleaner than
    seal tight, or flex, I used it on my build as conduit and for the flood coolant.
    You can use male adapters for bulkhead fittings as well.
    For the steppers I just used the corrugated wire sheath found at any auto parts store and routed them so the wouldnt touch the bottom of the enclosure , I didnt trust the sheath on the Belden cable, but in hindsight I would just buy cable that has a higher abrasion resistance and not use the corrugated wrap as it holds chips and is hard to clean off.
    One suggestion would be to make sure you have a washdown hose in the enclosure if you plan flood coolant, makes cleanup alot easier

As far as the holes, I believe cncfusion kit is using the stock location for the bolts. so you can measure them for a reference, on second thought you might want to wait for the kit if you dont have it yet as IIRC the y mount is not centered. So the relief cut in the spacer might not be centered either.
    I have pics of mine and will post them this eve after work, if I can remember where that SD card is LOL

JTCUSTOMS
    "It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

cornbinder1- I mn planning on doing pvc for posts, buy lt I'm thinking non split conduit like the power to the motor on the stock x3 for the wires from the motor to my planned junction box. whatcha think?

as far as the holes go... glad I decided to drill them. pulled the left side off the mill and nothing lined up. realized that writing down dimensions while on the phone with tech support at work was a bad idea. I made the sides .5" & .75 when it should have been 1.5 & 1.75. WTF?! I know, it happens. fortunately the honey-do-list author slept in so I had time to make another one.

drilled the holes and should be good to go

went ahead and stripped the scales off the mill

actually convinced the mrs that cleaning the garage for the build counts as cleaning the back yard.. whatever, it worked. the garage is ready for the parts that are coming.

after we were done I decided to pull the motor and check the bearings to hunt the chattering noise I have been getting. in doing so I realized that the two pulleys on the belt drive are not on the same plane. the motor pulley was higher than the larger pulley, and when I pulled the belt off i saw this:

I then noticed the plate under was covered in fur from the belt coming apart. I ground a washer down to step up the second pulley and then pulled the motor apart and checked the bearings. both bearings were excellent. put everything back together and the motor/spindle noise was gone. haven't cut yet, but I there is no noise when running at any speed.

MRM- I really appreciate the link! it was too late to cancel the order with amazon but ordering 2 more was only slightly more than the planned table reinforcement so I ordered 2 more. I could have ordered all 6 from there for the $120 I paid for the first 4 :-(

Nice build! That fluorescent light is an *awesome* idea and I must have one for my X2. Can anyone link to a how to/tutorial for doing the touchscreen monitor conversion? Using a mouse is getting to be a real pain when I'm trying to adjust feed and keep one eye on the part and one eye on the screen.

I just got a text from the wife saying a wooden package arrived so I imagine there will be a trial and error instructional right here tomorrow. also got my orders from allied (honeywell switches) and fuses and relays from digikey so I don't have any wasted time buddies birthday dinner tonight but I'll get some pics posted later before we go.

The TS is very simple, just ask if you have any questions

JTCUSTOMS
    Clive James

.it was surprisingly simple indeed! took a little 1.5 hours to tear the front of the monitor off (a little too aggressively in one corner), test fit the touch pad into the case and sand down the rim and cut a few tabs our of the way, put it together and load the cd. 1.5 hours from wrench to drawing... the mrs said "draw me something"

end result first:

nice box with wood reinforcement

set up to dremel

the honeywells are pretty impressive. I didn't realize the whole head can be released and turned as well as the arm.

also got the 15' video cable and a few other toys... I'll take a pic of my favorite when I get home

okay one more takes a little too much pressure to draw with it on its stand, but when mounted to an arm it should be pretty good.

not sure which I'm more excited about... the touch screen or this

this process took about 60 seconds including taking pics the first time I have ever used it. I'm impressed... definitely found my "tool 1". its the Haimer 3D TASTER also available directly from tormach.

I will play with the touch screen a little more tomorrow because there are still small brackets pushing the face off the touch panel leaving a gap. I think I should be able to get rid of it, but there is obviously some wiggle room so I might get some glue backed weather stripping and seal it off.

Looks like you got her all nailed down, if you use a stylus it works better as its harder to keep an even pressure across something as blunt as a finger.
    Nice touch off guage, how much?
    Also I used double sided scotch tape to hold the panel in place before putting the bezel back on.

JTCUSTOMS
    Clive James

the stylus is a good idea, and so is the tape. still have to draw the id of the bezel on the panel with dry erase and send my buddy a dxf so he can cut a seal in the laser. he has some adhesive backed 1/8" rubber sheet laying around I found this morning. his shop is like disneyland for me. :-) there are a few locating brackets in the bezel I need to remove too.

what did u mount your circuit in? I'm thinking small hobby box with stand offs adhered to the back of the monitor.

the Taster only cost $250 shipped! I found an old post on PM I think of a guy saying he had 11. when I emailed him last week he still had 2 left including mine. let me know if you want his email and I'll pm you.

it already has a 3/4" shaft so it only needs a TTS collar and a few spare tips

Quote Originally Posted by PriddyShiddy View Post
    not sure which I'm more excited about... the touch screen or this

this process took about 60 seconds including taking pics the first time I have ever used it. I'm impressed... definitely found my "tool 1". its the Haimer 3D TASTER also available directly from tormach.
    That was a pretty penny! I'd love one of those to death, but I'll be paying off my Set-Tru chuck for a while. I'll just have to drool over yours.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Could you not find space for the circuit board inside the monitor? I just drilled a hole in the back and ran the USB cable out through that. If I'd been feeing really clever I'd have mounted a USB socket on the monitor.

Having said that I gave up trying to modify my case to get it to closed, I was using a 19inch Samsung and the buttons on the monitor bezel interfered with any modification I could see to make space in the case. Instead a copped out, placed the too halves together and covered the gap with a ring of black electrical tape. There is minimal stress on the tape, since it's doing is holding on the bezel, and the only other option I could see was making a spacer.

Mine are mounted on the inside of the panel and the cord exits with the vga or power cord, I just used some very short standoffs

JTCUSTOMS
    Clive James

I guess I'll try pulling the back off and see if there is any room but it looked tight from the outside.

picking up a Dell 3.2ghz, 1G ram on the way home from the place I get the monitors for $100 with warranty and XP. Wife says 3 more boxes arrived today too.

received more boxes of various goods. nothing notable, just keyboard, mice, wires, extension cables for usb, monitor etc.

one interesting package was that the 2 $20 casters I ordered showed up... still waiting on the much more expensive disaster casters I ordered before them. VERY nice casters.

now the bad.. spent 2 hours fitting the circuit board into the back by drilling two holes and let the drill pop through to far and hit something important.

didn't realize this for another hour of putting everything back together. fired it up and the screen will cut on for 2 seconds then go black . if I cycle through modes from digital to analog it comes back... for 2 seconds. scrapped that monitor for now (glad I bought 3) and started prepping the second. this one didn't even have enough room for the ribbon to pass to the rear so its going into a project box on the outside.

I did pick up my new pc tonight too, and loaded mach3.

downloaded the screenset and losses and got this

wtf. I copied and pasted from the thumb drive inside the zipped file and this is what I got. so I deleted both files, unzipped the files to the hard drive and copied and pasted again... same thing. any ideas?

I get the same thing from that screen set, my guess is there is an incompatability with the current version of Mach.

Nice thread PS! I'm a 'cycle guy and for the life of me can't figure out what you're making there. Peg mounts?

WW

ww- its a prototype for a client, but I can say that you are correct. they are removable luggage tracks for sport bikes that mount to the passenger pegs. its a first for sport bikes.

rpovey- I'll be pretty annoyed if I just spent $250 dvds two nights for a touch screen to use a screen I can't see :-/ I wonder if I can uninstall and load an earlier version.

productive night. received the other casters today so I got them all installed. though nearly identical I did have to add shims to the set of4 to raise them up to the other two.

it was slow going to raise the table up high enough to get a drill and driver in and lower it back down alone.

table is so short now. should make it easier to make the enclosure and release tools

today I did a few searches and found the cnccookbook touch screen set for mach... excited! until I installed it... another FAIL. I guess a new version of mach destroyed the screen sets?! I tried the one cnccookbook based his on too and it was almost identical. the fictions are there, I can touch a blank spot on the screen and it goes to a different one so I guess its just the buttons/bitmaps

keling order should be here friday, pretty excited

I got a response on from the author of the first one on the mach forums, apparently if you turn off resizing in the general options for mach and reload the screenset it does work.
    The bug apparently was with the screen designer he used to create it. I haven't had a chance to verify it

The second one looks like you didn't put the graphics in the bitmaps folder.

Page 2 of 7 1234