587,514 active members*
2,971 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

I need a drill collet

I need a drill collet on the tail stock, for a Homier 7x12 lathe, what do I get?

Paul
    What’s wrong with a tapered adapter and chuck?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7x10_4_y.jpg  

Mine did'nt come with that, only a center.

Paul
    Hear is there Web Site

<http://www.mini-lathe.com/Default.htm>
    Rolly

I have this one-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe2.jpg  

Some of the most convenient tooling I've found is called Laip quick change. Information can be found a www.laip.es/en. I have a source for this in Canada called Kar industrial, but they don't seem to have a website that is working.

This tooling consists of a master holder that fits into a Morse taper socket and then you buy an additional series of adapters that fit into this master holder. They are retained by a sleeve and ball arrangement. This is very quick to change tools, and if used on a rotating spindle (your drill press) you do not have to stop to change tools. It works fine on a stationary spindle, too.

Change tools in 1 second! Saves a lot of banging the tools out by cranking the tailstock in and out. However, you do have the added expense of the addtional adapters. Generally speaking though, this line of tooling is some of the most inexpensive I've seen, and is highly accurate and reliable. It is not suitable for milling type work, but is designed for drill thrust type work only.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the info, this is my 1st lathe, and will have lots of question, I know CNC router tables but not hand machining.

Rolly,

What lath is that in your post?It looks like Grizzy but it doesnt have thier label on it like in thier catalog. Is it a 7x12?

James

These are pretty easy to make - set up your compound rest for a Morse #2 taper and use 3/4" aluminum round to make up a batch of blank adapters. Leave about an inch of plain rod to stick out of the tailstock spindle.

When you decide what size drill you want a socket for, put the drill in the headstock and the blank in the tailstock and drill about an inch or two deep.

Split the end of the collet and clamp it with two 4-40 capscrews, and you're all set to go. Don't use a single setcrew to hold the drill in - it'll push the drill point off center.