588,093 active members*
4,501 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > ArtCam Pro > Importing from Rhino3d

Importing from Rhino3d

Hi everyone,

I sure hope somebody can help me. I'm learning Rhino and ArtCam Pro right now. I can create models and everything. I save them to .dxf format. The problem is when I try to import into Artcam. I get the error that there is Invalid Spline Data and nothing gets imported.

What am I missing? If someone could give me a short version of getting a model from Rhino to ArtCam, that would rock. I'm usually real good at self-teaching but I can't find the answer anywhere. The last model I tried was simply an elliptical curve I created from planar curve (solid) that was 1 inch thick. I deleted the original curve to make it as simple as possible. I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

artcam & rhino

Hi Matt,

I have the same problem with dwg/dxf from Rhino to Artcam 2008 (build151). What is more when the message appears nothing else can be done and I have to kill the Artcam process manually. But I found a turnaround : I import the dxf/dwg file in Adobe Illustrator and then I save it in EPS format. Don't try to save in native Illustrator format (.ai) even if Artcam can read it because this method will also produce an error in Artcam. Once the EPS file is generated just import it in Artcam... and it works.

Hope it helps

Michel

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have Illustrator.

After my original post, I found these. Didn't have time to try these myself but I plan to this afternoon.

Rhino to Artcam Pro - 1

Rhino to Artcam Pro - 2

If they work for you, post the results here. I'm anxious to know now. haha

Matt

Matt,

The links you posted show the way to do it, and it works real well. I have been using that process for a while now. I have found that AC Pro no matter which version doesn't like to import dxf/dwg data exported from Rhino. It doesn't matter if it's 3D or 2D line work. I use the work around of getting the 2D vectors into AC, by exporting them from Rhino as an .ai file (Illustrator) you don't have to have illistrator to do this. Just select the 2D>go to File> export selected, and a save window will appear, then just select the file type, name it and your all set.

CJH

Just save the 3D models out of Rhino as STL files and they go right into AC Pro just fine.

Tom in PA