588,385 active members*
5,318 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazak Program Transfer

I have a pair of Mazak lathes with the Fusion Control. I have been using a network card in them and using the cut and past way of uploading and downloading programs from the pc to them.
    Due to networking problems popping up here and there, I am looking for alternate ways to send and recieve the programs. We use the RS232 ports on the rest of our machines. How does the rest of the world out there upload and download to thier Fusion controled Mazaks? We have BobCAD that I can use to transfer the programs.

The concern I have with using the Mazak send recieve is the few times I tried it over the network you lose programs. When I send a program from the Mazak to the pc, if I send a program to a file that had a few programs in it, all the programs that were in the file on the pc are deleted, and the only one left is the last program I sent over. I questioned Mazak on this, and they said this left over from the days when the programs were punched on tape rolls.

Before I go to the problem of running new cables to my Mazaks, can anyone give me a little feedback on if this is a good way to go? And will it upload the setup and layout pages also?

Thanks

send/receive programs with Fusion

I send ISO and Mazatrol programs from pc with crossover network cable. I created folder at hard disc of Fusion for exchange with pc. There is standard procedure to save/load cnc programs with option "HARD DISC". From pc I see this exchange folder as network drive. I don't need setup and layout files to save into my database on pc

Program Tranfer

At my place we use the cardslot in the front with a flashcard adapter. I don't like this method because you have to use the Data I/O screen everytime, and you cant overwrite.

I bought a A to A or (male to male) usb cable and a cardslot adapter that has 2 usb ports. but i need to figure out the software end of things.

My idea is to be able to post or drop my .eia files right into the "C:\MC_Machine Programs" folder so that i can just drop it in from my pc, have it overwrite an old one of the same name, and show up when you go to the program file Screen in Mazatrol.

Any ideas on the software/freeware end for transferring this way?

Thanks

Program transfer from PC to Fusion

I have tried to send program to "C:\MC_Machine Programs" folder with overwriting via Ethernet crossover cable, but "Mazatrol Fusion" software didn't recognize new version of file with old name. You MUST erase old program by "PROGRAM FILES" screen, then by screen "DATA IN/OUT" load new version of program. The source of new program is in the directory on hard disk of MAZAK. I define this working directory as target for my post processor on PC.

program transfer

I used windows explorer on the controller to access the programs folder and copied one of the programs to see if it would recognise it. It did, but i havent tried to overwrite one. I just assumed it would since its doing it on the windows side of things. Thats part of the reason I'm looking for a new way. I work in an R&D type shop and load/repost alot and never save programs. I figured if i can drop it in that windows folder, when i read up the file in the program menu it will show up there without having to go thru data I/O and all that.

Anything would be better than plugging the flashcard in back and forth.

With the network cable, how exactly did you specify where on the hard drive it goes when you post to that location?

Quote Originally Posted by SingleBlock View Post
    At my place we use the cardslot in the front with a flashcard adapter. I don't like this method because you have to use the Data I/O screen everytime, and you cant overwrite.

I bought a A to A or (male to male) usb cable and a cardslot adapter that has 2 usb ports. but i need to figure out the software end of things.

My idea is to be able to post or drop my .eia files right into the "C:\MC_Machine Programs" folder so that i can just drop it in from my pc, have it overwrite an old one of the same name, and show up when you go to the program file Screen in Mazatrol.

Any ideas on the software/freeware end for transferring this way?

Thanks
    I have a PC networking card in the board. What that we have both machines networked to out computers and use the cut and paste method coping the program, layout and setup pages from our server to the machine. And once a month I copy the whole file with all the updated and new programs from the machine and paste it to our server, overwriting the old programs with the latest version, and saving any new ones we have.

The only con is that when you copy from the server to the machine, you have to copy and paste the program, setup page and layout page. We have been doing this for 10 years. I was hoping to get the machines off the network and use either the RS232 port, or another way. I keep finding the problem with Mazak' are that if you use thier transfer setup in the control, it overwrites and erases any programs you have in the target directory. The last thing I need it someone to have an opps, and delete 10 years of programs. You would have though that Mazak when they went to a PC bases control, would have come up with a better way of transfering programs.

I am experiencing terrible problems transferring EIA files in and out of the Mazatrol Fusion 640M, Fusion 640T Nexus, and Mazatrol M-32.

The system here is set up with Multi-DNC. I can transfer the EIA code successfully, but when I return the EIA program back to the server, it comes in scrambled.

The connection is over RS-232. I have contacted the dealer with regard to this problem.

After exhausting all attempts at changing a few settings, still I am out of luck.

Has anyone ever heard of a "Title Feed" parameter setting in the Mazatrol controls?? That is where I am directed to but cannot find the mysterious parameter in the books.

Mark18969- Have you had any problems like this in your 10 year ordeals?

Or anyone else in here know??

I have not had this problem. But all the programs we have done are on Mazak format, and we cut and paste thru windows.

i use mazatrol we transfer and overwrite programs useing esprit and i don"t use the a and b usb ports i use the usb ports in the back of the mazatrol screen i had problems useing the a and b ports

The new Mazaks Fusions and Nexus are for sure a challenge to communicate to but with guidance and a few settings, you can get them to work over the serial port with success. I don't recall the details but if you want to give me a call in the office I will be happy to review the control info we have and want it takes to make it work.
    Greg Mercurio -Shop Floor Automations
    www.shopfloorautomations.com /619-461-4000

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mark18969 View Post
    I have not had this problem. But all the programs we have done are on Mazak format, and we cut and paste thru windows.
    Yes. I copy and paste the written code I generate from our CAM sorftware to the DNC server.

Then I transfer the code to the Fusion control. This works just fine. But when I want to transfer the code(program) from the Fusion back to the DNC server, it comes back scrambled. Null characters are received with almost all of the code.

Is the flashcard adapter a Mazak product, or can you buy one off the shelf? I know this thread is a year old, but I'm hoping for an answer. I am needing to load bigger files than the floppy can handle. The flashcard looks like what I need for now.

Thanks

like this.....

Thanks for the quick reply. This card will plug into the front slot by the screen? That doesn't sound like Mazak. Every thing I've bought in the past has been proprietary items that cost waaaay over shelf items. I'll give it a try. Is there any advise or tidbits I should know about before plugging in, or will it work just like the floppy?

Thanks again,
    Len

fusion flashcards

there was a transition in pcmcia flashcards during the life of the Fusion from 1999 to 2007.

Sketchy on the details, but it was along the lines of changing the norm from 32 bit to 64 bit. or something like that.

The early version is very obsolete by computer standards, so and early fusion flash memory card is hard to come by.

Mazak spare parts stocked up on the obsolete ones when this happened.

-jim